Programming keys

Jims3rd

Reaction score
I put a new computer in the car, supposedly relearned the existing keys, did not start, put old computer back in, car started right up, how would you program the keys to a new computer ? 2009 v6, 4.0 5 man.

Jims3rd

Reaction score
I take it that I get a tool of some sort and do something…
Forscan, which one ?
Excuse my ignorance

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
I also had good luck with a locksmith shop. They hooked a computer to my car, used the key I had and then inserted the two new keys into the ignition. That programmed the new keys to the car.

Good luck

JimC

Reaction score
I also had good luck with a locksmith shop. They hooked a computer to my car, used the key I had and then inserted the two new keys into the ignition. That programmed the new keys to the car.

Good luck
That may not work because it sounds like his current keys are not being recognized by the new computer. So there is no "active" key to start the process with.

VistaBlue07

Reaction score
I put a new computer in the car, supposedly relearned the existing keys, did not start, put old computer back in, car started right up, how would you program the keys to a new computer ? 2009 v6, 4.0 5 man.
Forscan is free if you sign up for their forum. Load it on a windows laptop, buy the ODB adapter off Amazon that they recommend. Get in the PATS menu, delete existing keys, program new one and the backup. Plenty of YouTube on that.

Jims3rd

Reaction score
I ordered okd cable and have keys and eco in hand, the guy will be following up on your suggestion, thanks, update next week. Thanks for all input !

Reaction score
I know this is a tangent to the original thread, but in the hope of helping others, I will share my own experience with spare keys, both good and bad.

First the bad. When I bought my 2014 GT in June of 2023, it only had one key. I bought a key blank and had it cut, but I didn't realize that you had to have two working keys to program it yourself. I made the mistake, from a cost perspective, of going to a Ford dealer to buy a second key and have it programmed. I was handed a bill for a "jaw dropping" $420 (the cost of the key blank plus the programming). Once I had two working keys, I did manage to program the blank that I had bought, so I shouldn't be at the mercy of a dealer again. This also made me realize why a second key is a negotiating condition when buying a used car.

Now the good. Having experienced my error in judgement with my 2014 GT, I realized that it would be a good idea to have a third key for my 2012 GT. I have owned that car since new and have both original keys. I bought a nice replacement blank from Amazon for less than $20 and had it cut at Ace Hardware for around $5. I followed the programming instructions from the owner's manual and the key started the car. I did have to program the buttons separately, but that was simple enough. The programming process took me around 15 minutes, but it could certainly be completed faster. So, for under $30 you can have a third key that will allow you to repeat this process if you lose one of you other two keys. I believe the manual states that you can have up to eight keys programmed, but I would imagine that to be a rare use case.

This is the key blank I used: Replacement Key

These are the instructions for getting the replacement key to start the car, per the owner's manual:
1. Insert the first previously programmed coded key into the ignition.
2. Turn the ignition from the 1 (off) position to the 3 (on) position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (on) position for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition to the 1 (off) position and remove the first coded key from the ignition.
4. After three seconds but within 10 seconds of turning the ignition to the 1 (off) position, insert the second previously coded key into the ignition.
5. Turn the ignition from the 1 (off) position to the 3 (on) position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (on) position for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds. Locks and Security 114 2012 05+ Mustang (197) Owners Guide, 3rd Printing USA (fus)
6. Turn the ignition to the 1 (off) position and remove the second previously programmed coded key from the ignition.
7. After three seconds but within 20 seconds of turning the ignition to the 1 (off) position and removing the previously programmed coded key, insert the new unprogrammed key (new key/valet key) into the ignition.
8. Turn the ignition from the 1 (off) position to the 3 (on) position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (on) position for at least six seconds.
9. Remove the newly programmed coded key from the ignition. If the key has been successfully programmed it will start the vehicle's engine and will operate the remote entry system (if the new key is an integrated keyhead transmitter). The theft indicator light will illuminate for three seconds and then go out to indicate successful programming.

Note: Although the key would start the car after this procedure, I still had to follow a separate procedure for programming the 4 buttons.
This is a video on programming the 4 buttons on the key: Button Programming

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Nice write p. Be careful with generic keys. We see it all the time here at the dealership that when customers buy generic, for some reason they don't always retain the program.

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
When I bought my 2012 it only had one key set. Dealer agreed to have another one made. When I went to the locksmith he programed the key fob, but it wouldn't hold the program. Locksmith said dealer had bought a refurbished fob and they seldom work. Called the dealer and they order a new Fob and it programed without any problems.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back