Need help with deck attachment to house any P.E. in the house?

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm already over $2000 into this project just in materials.

turns out my house does not have typical band and joist construction, instead it's build on Metal Plate connected floor trusses.

The inspector is basically saying that I can not attach the deck to the house because of that.

I don't want to cut corners and have the deck fall down but I also don't want to spend even more money to reconfigure the deck so that it's free-standing since there's a concrete pad underneath where I want to build the deck.

I'm so frustrated...

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
From what I know of construction, which isn't that much, that type of metal plate construction is not usable for attachments, like the inspector said. Your only option is to add support posts so that the deck is free standing and then you can build it close enough to touch the house and no one will know it's not attached. I know you don't want to hear this but I don't know of any other options.

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, that's kind of what I've come to as well Earl.

I think in order to do that I would have to jackhammer up the cement pad that's already there.

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
About 9'

I've kind of given up on this whole project. Too much stress and I'm the only one in the family who seems to give a shit about it.

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
attatch it to the house and put a double 2x10 drop girder under it 2 feet from the house you'll be fine. Any questions pm me your phone # I'm NC licensed general contractor and 33yr carpenter

Jeffk

forum member
Reaction score
attatch it to the house and put a double 2x10 drop girder under it 2 feet from the house you'll be fine. Any questions pm me your phone # I'm NC licensed general contractor and 33yr carpenter

Well crap. I already took a $600 loss on this project so I scrapped it.

If I decide to take another run at it I'll contact you.

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
wish I had stumbled across your problem sooner. Feel free to contact me w/ any future questions

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back