Anyone know how to build a dock?

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
I've got a nice fishing pond on my land. The previous owner has already set the posts for a dock using telephone poles. I'd like to finish out the dock but don't have the first clue how. Does anyone have suggestions on where to get plans or could just give me some guidance? Here's a pic. You can see the posts to the left in the pic.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
pu7y2y7e.jpg

Here's the set posts.

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
get some decent length posts, hammer them down so they are solid, build like a deck. Assuming there are no freezing issues. I actually just put one in today. Smaller posts will be much easier. You can also just put feet on smaller posts to keep them from sinking in and you wont even need to hammer them down. Usually the weight of the dock will keep it from going anywhere.

ecit: something probably like this. Wood is fine of course.

Last edited:

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
Build your frame at the edge of the water and use galvanized joist hangers with the teco nails on every joist. Then double up the rim joist that abuts the telephone poles.
This will keep the fame light enough to move into place.
Snap a line across the telephone poles and drill out the poles so you can run a galvanized bolt through the pole and through the outer doubled rim joist. Then just finish off the decking with the frame bolted into place.

In order to easily slide the deck frame into place nail a 2x6 to each pole perpendicular to the shore line. Set the 2x6 below your finished deck height by adding up the thickness of the decking plus the thickness of the joists. This will safely hold everything up till you can bolt the frame into place. Don't drill your holes into the outer rim joist till the frame is slid into place.

Hope it makes sence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Build your frame at the edge of the water and use galvanized joist hangers with the teco nails on every joist. Then double up the rim joist that abuts the telephone poles.
This will keep the fame light enough to move into place.
Snap a line across the telephone poles and drill out the poles so you can run a galvanized bolt through the pole and through the outer doubled rim joist. Then just finish off the decking with the frame bolted into place.

In order to easily slide the deck frame into place nail a 2x6 to each pole perpendicular to the shore line. Set the 2x6 below your finished deck height by adding up the thickness of the decking plus the thickness of the joists. This will safely hold everything up till you can bolt the frame into place. Don't drill your holes into the outer rim joist till the frame is slid into place.

Hope it makes sence.

I wish it did make sense. Maybe a better question would've been to ask for help finding links to something I can see. What you're describing sounded like greek to me.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Do you plan on just using the posts that are there or add new ones?

I'm not a fan of redoing work that's already done. Setting the posts is the hard part, right? I plan on using what's there. I just want a little fishing pier.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Build a treehouse on those posts and hang your pole out the window! Put a TV, X Box, and small beer fridge in there and you're done.

popeye

forum member
Reaction score
When I get a chance I can draw you a diagram and some simple direction on how to do it right.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
When I get a chance I can draw you a diagram and some simple direction on how to do it right.

That would be super cool of you. I can handle tools. Just can't design stuff. My brain doesn't work that way.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back