A/C Delete

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
frpp has a ac eliminator piece. How much weight would it actually shave. What else can you remove other then just the accesory drive piece.
Im very interested in doing this but would need some guidance

After the races this weekend I will be doing this, I will take some detailed pictures and of course weighing the results. Plus I will be putting in the suspension pieces. I ordered the bracket with the pulley from BGG Performance (a vendor here) as I needed an 8-rib pulley.

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
damn no kidding i never even noticed the rear pins until you said something lol they just popped out of your sig at me

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
i pmed you pfsracer, i have a BBR radiator support that you can have just pay for the ride...let me know your zip and ill get you a cheap quote...
~kevin~

blackgtrag

forum member
Reaction score
thanks! but i thought that if you used the ford bracket you would not need a new belt?

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have alot of adjustment with the whipple kit, I don't think I will need a new belt length but we will see. The pulley that will replace the a/c is only a shade larger.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i pmed you pfsracer, i have a BBR radiator support that you can have just pay for the ride...let me know your zip and ill get you a cheap quote...
~kevin~

Thanks for the offer, I just purchased that on 12/31 :kill:

GI Joe

Reaction score
I have alot of adjustment with the whipple kit, I don't think I will need a new belt length but we will see. The pulley that will replace the a/c is only a shade larger.

You will need a 1 " longer belt or have the adjustment that psfracer has with the whipple.
Paul your AC delete kit shipped today. Be sure to plug the holes in the firewall to prevent critters from getting in there in case you ever want to hook it back up.
Dave

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok, I finished the A/C Delete today, but unfortunately I can not use the same belt I was using. The 801223 belt does fit, but barely and its way too tight.

The A/C pulley is 4.5 inches in diameter, or 14.13 inches in circumference
The A/C delete pulley is 5.0 inches in diameter, or 15.70 inches in circumference, so I need a belt that is 1.6 inches longer if I want to be in the exact same place I was.

Anyway I have some pics and stuff that I will post later today after I go to dinner with the other 1/2.

Last edited:

GI Joe

Reaction score
Ok, I finished the A/C Delete today, but unfortunately I can not use the same belt I was using. The 801223 belt does fit, but barely and its way too tight.

The A/C pulley is 4.5 inches in diameter, or 14.13 inches in diameter
The A/C delete pulley is 5.0 inches in diameter, or 15.70 inches in diameter, so I need a belt that is 1.6 inches longer if I want to be in the exact same place I was.

Anyway I have some pics and stuff that I will post later today after I go to dinner with the other 1/2.

Did I put all 3" idlers in your 8 rib kit or did we use some 3.5" idlers?
Also are you running the elec water pump? I forget. You could run the 125.3 belt and then add the 5.5" water pump pulley if you aren't using an elec pump and that would work perfect. ( the 125.3 [K08125.3] is 3" longer) Let me know and I'll help you out or get you the part number..

blackgtrag

forum member
Reaction score
yay and congrats on you for deleting the ac but where is the write up and pics.. I suppose you could use the oem belt if you have UDP's????

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Also are you running the elec water pump? I forget. You could run the 125.3 belt and then add the 5.5" water pump pulley if you aren't using an elec pump and that would work perfect. ( the 125.3 [K08125.3] is 3" longer) Let me know and I'll help you out or get you the part number..

Hey does your 8 rib kit include idler pulleys?

GI Joe

Reaction score
Hey does your 8 rib kit include idler pulleys?

yes...
and I sell the A/C delete for the 8 rib too but the idler is bigger. There is no choice on that in 8 rib. So the belt has to be about 1" to 1-1 1/2" longer.
Dave

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
yes...
and I sell the A/C delete for the 8 rib too but the idler is bigger. There is no choice on that in 8 rib. So the belt has to be about 1" to 1-1 1/2" longer.
Dave

I was asking because when I broke my timing cover the lower idler pulley on the drivers side was deformed. I have one spare though since I got Thrump_rrr belt gripper block.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So this is what I did to remove the A/C. This is not a complete write up by any means, and I am assuming that the normal stuff doesn't need to be covered (like how to removed the front bumper cover).

OK, so first I like to have alot of room when I work, so I took off the front bumper cover, the front wheels, and the front wheel well splash guards / covers.

ACDELETEgettingstarted.jpg

Then I took off the belt, and first step I took was to release the pressure in the a/c system by removing the cap shown below, and letting the pressure out SLOWLY over about 5 minutes. There is also another one on the passenger side by the fuse box.

ACDELETEpressure.jpg

Then it was the front (condenser? radiator?) for the A/C. There was the typical four bolts that held it in place, and two spots where you have to remove the lines. On passenger side its at the bottom, on the drivers side it is on the top:

Passenger side bottom:
ACDELETElines3.jpg

Drivers side top:
ACDELETELines1.jpg

So far very easy and the front a/c condsenor/radiator came right out. I think there will be some benefits to this, as the air for the engine coolant radiator and the trans cooler will be alot less impeded. Better cooling? We will see.

Before removal:
ACDELETEbefore.jpg

After removal:
ACDELETEafter.jpg

Now the A/C compressor. Three studs that hold it on, no problem there. But look for the bolt on top to take off the lines to the compressor. See below:

ACDELETECOMPRESSOR.jpg

Now would be a good time to check that header bolt that is next to impossible to get to while the a/c is in place. That is another good result from doing this. So much more room to work in the engine bay.

So far very easy for sure. But now comes the hard part---that is if you want to keep the lines in good condition and reuseable. If you don't care, then remove the lines and your done. Easy peasy.

But, what if you want the lines in good condition so you can re install someday? Well, you will need these:

ACDELETTOOLS.jpg

Because there a few places where you can disconnect the lines, similar to how you disconnect the fuel line from the fuel rail, using the above pictured clips. I used the 5/8, 3/4, and 7/8.

ACDELETELINES4.jpg

So, disconnect the lines from the "thingy" that is on the driver rear, and remove that cylinder like object. Sorry, I have no idea what it is...perhaps the tank to hold the freon? There is also another one you can disconnect, on the passenger side between the shock tower and the firewall.

Now the fun part--these lines run to a aluminum block on the firewall. Problem is I have this thing called a whipple and a custom sheetmetal intake manifold saying I can't get to it....

ACDELETEfirewall.jpg

Now, keep in mind I have a lift off hood, so that is not in my way. Also, my battery is in the trunk, so I have plenty of room to work in the area on the passenger side between the shock tower and firewall (the stock battery location). Take a 10mm wrench, and you can do it without removing anything, as long as you have patience.

So I took the two nuts off holding it, and there are two long studs, so you have to pull the block forward quite a bit to remove it. But your not done, because as I started to remove the line, it stopped. There is a plug you also have to unplug before you can remove the line.

ACDELETEFIREWALL2.jpg

I would have to say this job was pretty easy. The only thing that makes it time consuming is you do have to have patience if you want to remove the lines without f'ning them up. Below are all of the parts in their glory. I kept the lines in good shape, but the condenser has been thrashed for a long time when I ran over a dog a couple years ago. Poor thing never had a chance.

ACDELETEPARTS.jpg

Also, since I was there anyway, I thought it was a good time to replace the front crossmember with the lightweight BMR unit. I had previously removed the sway bar a long time ago, but not the heavy crossmember.

SO, the verdict is:

1) Pretty easy to do, but keeping the lines in useable condition for re install someday will require time and patience.

2) I like the added room in the engine compartment, now that all of the lines and compressor is gone.

3) Possible cooling benefit, now that the condenser is gone that was in front of the radiator and trans cooler.

Hardest part:

Getting to that firewall mount. And remember, my hood was off and my battery is in the trunk, so I had it easier then most.

Getting the lines disconnected from the "tank" that is on the drivers side rear in the engine bay. I used the clips, but they were really tight.

Other considerations: you may need a different length belt.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I have the electric water pump. Let me measure the idlers---I do not know off hand. Perhaps I should get an oversized crank pulley to compensate.....:evillaugh:

GI Joe

Reaction score
I have the electric water pump. Let me measure the idlers---I do not know off hand. Perhaps I should get an oversized crank pulley to compensate.....:evillaugh:

that would be the best option...

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Paul... thanks for the details and pics. I'm not sure I want to delete my A/C just yet, but if I ever do, this will be a great resource thread. :beer:

BTW, is there anything under the dash you can get rid of now, too?

ROUSH1711

UNDER CONSTRUCTION
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bump to a great thread.

Thanks Paul,Im doing this tonight!

Dave,I'll be in touch for the A/c delete kit.

Back