Check Engine: P04DB

Ecoboost15

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Ecoboost mustang. My check engine light randomly comes on and the ECU code is P04DB. I am unsure as to what caused this issue.

Installed on car:

Cold air in take.
Inter cooler.
Axel back exhaust.
dyno comp tune.

I did have a aftermarket downpipe on the car but it didn't have enough back pressure and it cause my car to smoke pretty bad so I put the stock one back on.

Anyone think they know what this code means and could help would be awesome!

Thanks,

Brandon

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
According to what I have researched that is a generic code for crankcase ventilation disconnected.

Start with tracing your intake install.

Last edited:

Ecoboost15

Reaction score
Ok awesome thank you! I did forget to mention I do have an oil catch can system installed as well. So I wonder if that could be part of the reason there is a code?

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
Yes! The catch can is tied into your crank case vent system. On most V8's it's a loop system. Air gets pulled in the crankcase from the air intake tube on bank 1 driver side. Then pulled out from bank 2 by the intake manifold. The valve is on bank 2. You put the catch can in between the valve and the intake manifold to not pull vapor into the manifold causing oiley vapor to screw up fuel mixture and sit in the manifold. So start looking there.

Ecoboost15

Reaction score
Awesome thank you for the help man! I have not had a chance to check it out yet but I will be sure to look for this.

Ecoboost15

Reaction score
Would you happen to know if someone is able to install subs in the 15 mustang? I am curious because Ford designed the car to play the sound of an engine through the speakers to make it sound mean and not just a 4 cylinder turbo car. I am not sure if there is a wire to cut to disable this or how to bypass this setup so the sound would not be played through the subs.

I have tried to look for youtube videos but have not had any luck at finding anyone who has done this. Any ideas?

Ecoboost15

Reaction score
Redline- thanks for the info, I do however have the 4cyl ecoboost motor, any clue on that set up? I don’t remember there being any sensors close to the connections but I may have missed something.

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
I don't know specifically on the ecoboost engine. But through work I have access to a website that gives us repair instructions for pretty much every car. We use it to work on our non BMW used cars we take in on trade. I'll see if I can find something with a diagram on the ecoboosts PCV system. It's a great program I'm sure it will have what you need to trace the system. I use it all the time for my car.

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
Excuse me while I put my foot in my mouth. Looks like they don't have shit in the database for the ecoboost yet...see how everything is grayed out? I get the message that no data is available yet. I'm sure if I had the motor in front of me I could figure it out...let me try a good old Google Search and see what I come up with.

4f4eb6ee50896d649b33569c2973492c.jpg

Ecoboost15

Reaction score
Dang man, thank you so much for looking though! Let me know if you can find something on google. The only thing I really came across was the code for trucks and such, nothing specific to the ecoboost mustang.

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
Which catch can system do you have? I found a couple different ones. The two I looked at hook up on completely different sides of the engine. UPR shows it between the line coming off the throttle body and then add a vacuum to the turbo inlet tube then the line going to the oil pan...Mishimoto however goes inbetween the line coming off the crank case to the intake manifold on the driver side of the motor, which to me seems like where the pcv is...so what style do you use so I know what side of the motor to tell you where to look??? Haha. UPR's design I'm not familiar with. Mishimoto seems more traditional.

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
This is how UPR explains reason for using the passenger side:

2015 Ecoboost Mustang PCV Function and Flow Explained

We have recently switched to a Single Valve Kit after extensive testing. The results were consistent every time unlike the ecoboost trucks with the larger 3.5L,*these motors have a much more efficient PCV system that the system does not require a dual valve setup or clean side separator. The oily oil we are collecting

is off the heavy load on the passenger side of the ecoboost motor.

The system has a one directional flow that scavenges the clean air from the passenger side pickup on the intake tube right before the turbo and then get drawn through the crankcase and out the driver side swivel connection right above the starter coming out of the engine block. Then gets hooked to the throttle body to*

draw through the intake and get burned clean in the combustion chamber as per EPA regulations.

Testing was over 3000 extremely hard miles and testing it in every situation from cruising to flat out everyday of testing. The passenger side yielded great results and the driver side stayed bone dry.*

Ultimately the design of this setup would need twin catch cans if you wanted to install a catch can on the passenger side on the passenger side hose to not disrupt the airflow and proper crank case evacuation. The dual valve basically locks the system and does not allow for fresh air correctly because the system is unlike the 3.5L ecoboost platform.

So it pulls fresh air from the turbo inlet into the crank case. Out a valve above the starter through the throttle body into the intake manifold burning the vapor through the engine as per federal regulations. Then there is on on the driver side connected directly between the crank case and intake manifold. From what I read UPR states they have collected most oil on the passenger side not the driver side how Mishimoto has their setup. So basically whatever side you have yours on you need to go back and check all your connections.

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet if you have UPR's style and for the code you have it's going to be somewhere probably at the throttle body connection.

Ecoboost15

Reaction score
It's a dual valve UPR oil catch can. I am going to get a new connection and hopefully it will fix the issue!

Bavalos1

Reaction score
Where you able to fix your problem, I have the same issue no catch can tho

shadow

Reaction score
Error Code P04DB

Where you able to fix your problem, I have the same issue no catch can tho

I have same issue. Only 2 items installed

AIRAID 450-330

Other was Y pipe with
Thrush 17650 Welded Muffler.

I had these item on for under 1 year no problems with it until yesterday.
I will on the weekend remove the intake box and reinstall again to see if that fixes it. Will let you know.

shadow

Reaction score
Update on Error Code

I have same issue. Only 2 items installed

AIRAID 450-330

Other was Y pipe with
Thrush 17650 Welded Muffler.

I had these item on for under 1 year no problems with it until yesterday.
I will on the weekend remove the intake box and reinstall again to see if that fixes it. Will let you know.

So I didn't do anything the code went away on its own. I wanted to remove the intake and reinstall again but the code didn't show anymore.

Sorry this didn't help but it's what happen.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
Excuse me while I put my foot in my mouth. Looks like they don't have shit in the database for the ecoboost yet...see how everything is grayed out? I get the message that no data is available yet. I'm sure if I had the motor in front of me I could figure it out...let me try a good old Google Search and see what I come up with.

4f4eb6ee50896d649b33569c2973492c.jpg

What system are you using?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back