What have you done to your house today

JimC

Reaction score
Came to terms on the results of the inspection on our place in Winston-Salem and what we want the seller to take care of. One item was left today and the seller came back with an offer that was acceptable to us on that. So on track for closing at the end of July.

Then my wife will move down, with the furniture, in the fall. I'll get a small place in Michigan until I retire again and head down on weekends and in warm weather (if I haven't retired yet) she will come up occasionally to be with me and get away from her sister.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Pavers done - new sod & sidewalk tomorrow

UiAq7Dil.jpg

That looks awesome!

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I'd skip all that and go LED. Just retrofitted all the fluorescent lights in the basement and garage, much brighter, lower energy consumption and longer life spans.

I'm looking to go LED in my garage. Eight 4ft bulbs. If it's damp or cold they sometimes don't light. If it works out my barn will get the same.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
I'm looking to go LED in my garage. Eight 4ft bulbs. If it's damp or cold they sometimes don't light. If it works out my barn will get the same.

If you presently have fluorescent fixtures, you can strip out the ballast, wiring, tombstones and lamps. There are several kits that will retrofit right into the fixture shell. I do not recommend just changing to the four foot tubes that have LEDs inside and re-use the fluorescent ballast. The ballast can overdrive those conversion tubes and shorten their life cycle.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you presently have fluorescent fixtures, you can strip out the ballast, wiring, tombstones and lamps. There are several kits that will retrofit right into the fixture shell. I do not recommend just changing to the four foot tubes that have LEDs inside and re-use the fluorescent ballast. The ballast can overdrive those conversion tubes and shorten their life cycle.

Hmmmm. Good to know.

I was going to get the ones that work off the ballast and be done with it.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yea, single car is te norm around me. I also really don't have the room to,add to the right as u face the house. The property line cuts in at an angle.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yea, single car is te norm around me. I also really don't have the room to,add to the right as u face the house. The property line cuts in at an angle.

I feel your pain, this stupid town house we live in with a single car garage sucks.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Dave, that looks awesome dude.

Yesterday I spent a few hours in the morning cleaning up more of the brush from the back yard, did another 2 trips bringing it to the local dump.
Got done with that, decided to move a big boulder in the back yard, since it was not in a convenient spot.
Hooked up the truck to it using a large ratcheting tow strap, dragged it into its new home, thought I was gonna be able to unhook,
pull forward and to the right, then back out of the spot I was gonna head into.
Turned out the truck was longer than I gave it credit for, and with a worse turning radius.
So it looked like the truck was gonna become a part of the back yard for a while.

20170624_yard3.jpg

Couldn't back up much since big rock was now back there, other big rocks and trees already back there too.
And more stuff in the front.
Luckily I was able to move some smaller big rocks from the front, and after about a 15-point turn,
a new dent in the rear bumper from a tree that popped out of nowhere, and a torn-off front mud flap, truck was free again.

Parked it on a nearby dirt mound, just because.

20170624_yard4.jpg

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gabe - that's a lot of work,I have done in that yard.

Yesterday - cleaned the gutters, checked the spinklers pattern on new heads after the pavers, found they put a spike through the irrigation line by the new sidewalk, could fix it, no parts and didn't feel,like digging up enough grass and soil to get to the hole.

MSgt46270

Reaction score

That came out looking good.

Later on the first part of 2018 we plan to add pavers also. I hate the way the left side of the house looks. My friend Joe and I dug out a lot of dirt to start getting it ready for later on. But before doing the pavers we need to replace the main water line shut off valve due to leaking only when you turn it off or on mid point (easy fix). Then we need to run a water drain from the back yard to the street.

20170622_165203_zpsno3vi0lh.jpg

20170622_165225_zpsbmf98t92.jpg

20170622_172309_zpsf1ngqr8y.jpg

MSgt46270

Reaction score
What's the damage $$$-wise on that project if I may ask? Looks awesome.

Home depot sales pavers and if you get them by the pallet you'll get it at a discount. And if your a veteran you should be able to tack on the 10% discount???

Premium08

Need to Get Another Pony
Reaction score
Been baffled at why my dishwasher was leaving some dishes dirty(mostly glasses and mugs). Went to unload it yesterday and almost everything had food residue on it. Started investigating and saw that almost all the water nozzles were clogged with food. Spent the next 30-45 mins trying to get all the food out the nozzles with a pick and compressed air.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Home depot sales pavers and if you get them by the pallet you'll get it at a discount. And if your a veteran you should be able to tack on the 10% discount???

My driveway is 9-10 feet wide and about 485 feet long. Blacktop will happen before pavers. In fact blacktop is the long term goal. Right now it's all recycled blacktop millings. My driveway guy said they will make a great base when we decided to add blacktop as they will compress between now and then and make a stable hard base.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
Been baffled at why my dishwasher was leaving some dishes dirty(mostly glasses and mugs). Went to unload it yesterday and almost everything had food residue on it. Started investigating and saw that almost all the water nozzles were clogged with food. Spent the next 30-45 mins trying to get all the food out the nozzles with a pick and compressed air.

That's why we don't even use a dishwasher. Good old fashioned hand washing...

Dad

forum member
Reaction score

Have you cleaned the filter? And run a couple cups of bleach through the thing?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back