The Great Oil Debate

46addict

Reaction score
Is the supercharger somehow changing your bearing and cam journal clearances?

BTW this will be merged into the oil thread.

I see it is here now and that is what I was thinking as well my internals are all the same but I noticed some guys running heavier cause the extra power I think royal purple 5 20 is fine just wanted to get some more input on this mainly cause I'm due for an oil change just don't wanna waste money on it if I need to change

The general justification for running a thicker oil in a boosted engine is if the compressor shares its oil supply with the engine and/or to maintain oil pressure during extended periods of high RPM. As in road racing or 10+ passes down the drag strip.

All of this is speculation though unless you take two viscosity grades in the same engine and compare the overall analysis averages. I would also advocate staying with OEM oil recommendations and would only deviate from that if I was having oil pressure issues in the desert heat.

MechE

forum member
Reaction score
Diggin up an oldie but goodie!

It seems to be ALMOST universally held that Amsoil MTG is A good way to go for the MT-82. It was mentioned in post 88 (and probably others) that this was in fact Amsoil's recommended offering. However, checking the Amsoil site, it is no longer listed as a recommended fluid. In fact they don't list any recommended fluids for the MT-82.

I'm comfortable using it considering the wealth of experience from this thread alone. However, it does beg the question... What happened? Is this a recent change from new learning?

patriotu

forum member
Reaction score
amsoil or royal purple

Hello,
what s gonna do better for 08gt in your opinion ?

amsoil or royal purple

on manual transmission,gears and engine.
i ve read a few coments about royal purple that is gonna eat gaskets on transmission?!?

Last edited:

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Hit up Greg Hazlett for Amsoil stuff. RP isn't bad either, but I think the bad press comes from how it can discolor the components. Some people believe it is bad for the motor. I used Amsoil or I would buy RP if I couldn't wait on shipping.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Royal Purple or Mobil1, I wouldn't use in my lawnmower.

I use Amsoil, I buy it direct from them, amsoil.com, I'm signed up as a Preferred Customer for $16/year and get great pricing that way, plus occasional promos with free shipping or whatnot.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know at one point Mobil 1 was considered top shelf and was a factory fill for the higher end cars; I don't think the higher end cars use M1 anymore; at some point M1 changed their formula to be price competitive (selling at Wal Mart) so the quality dropped. Before I started using and selling Amsoil I did lot of reading about the differences between Amsoil and RP and Amsoil was the better product; you see instances of failures with engines using RP-I do take into account it's the internet and you never get the full story-failing and very seldom see Amsoil used engines failing.

Some argue that as long as you change the oil every 3k it does not matter what you use but the mindset of changing every 3k is wasting time and money; the better oils of today are engineered to last longer.

46addict

Reaction score
There are still 8 manufacturers using Mobil1 as factory fill and recommending them through the vehicle's life. This is not to say the decision isn't based on a financial/political standpoint, but I'm sure product quality isn't total junk.
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why...car-manufacturers-recommend-mobil-1-motor-oil

Do you think 3k mile oil changes are still a waste even for us guys who drive hard/race? Obviously this would be wasteful for higher end oils like Amsoil but I mean from a typical Group III standpoint. I'm not trying to start an argument, just wanting your opinions.

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Gotcha, it has been a while since I looked so thanks for the info; when I had mustangs and drove them hard/raced them I used the racing oil which had more additives but lasted 6 months. Never cam close to the mileage on the oil but it was peace of mind.

Can't go wrong with 3k oi changes, it is relatively cheap insurance, not even sure what the price difference is between dino/syn oil is...I do think syn is better.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I change mine every 5k in the truck, even though the computer is probably set to 10k (usually 50% "life left" when I go to change it). Since I some how keep getting free oil changes, without spending a dime at the dealer, I've been having them do it. If it was a regular old fuel saving DD car, I would let it stretch to 10k. Since my motor is turbo'd, I don't feel like I need to stretch it if the changes are free.

If it was a car that I was tracking/abusing, I would be running something like Amsoil every 5k or less.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My mustang every 3k, oil is cheap compared to the engine. I use amsoil in it. My 2011 F350 I do when the oil life monitor says to, so it generally varies between 5k and 9k depending on driving conditions. I just use the motor craft synthetic as it takes a bit over 3 gallons. Usually it's on the higher side unless I do a lot of short trip towing in traffic.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just did Wal-Mart supertech "highmilage". Since I change every 3k, I go with supertech. That oil gets good reports

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

IFlyEm

Reaction score
New to the Mustang world. What oil would you recommend for my 2011 GT? If it matters, I live in Las Vegas.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
i've ran what the manufacturer has recommended for the life of my car (2012 GT bought new) and never had a problem.

IFlyEm

Reaction score
i've ran what the manufacturer has recommended for the life of my car (2012 GT bought new) and never had a problem.
And that's Motorcraft Synthetic Blend? One of my friends told me to run nothing but full synth...he's a BMW guy [emoji19]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back