2005 Mustang ProAm build

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
Hello! Welcome to my build thread where I will keep an update of my 2005 Mustang That I will be using to compete in Vegas drift/ Southwest Drift series. Here's a little bit about myself,
I'm 21 years old and have been competing in motorsports for about 8 years and I work as a professional racing instructor at a place called Exotics Racing (some of you may have heard of it or been there). I have been competing in drifting for 3 of those years. My first car was a purpose built s13 I bought from forrest wang. Now I decided to do something different from the onslaught of 240sxs that are all over the grid. Being a mustang lover with previously owning a 2015 Gt (now an f150, Fordddddd! lol) I decided to go with a GT build.
Pic of my previous car
AwufEii.jpg

Now the new girl!
Qwk1tsE.jpg

Manual tranny that runs super smooth with the 4.6l v8. It does have 180k miles on it so I'm expecting to blow it up then buy another 4.6l and do some internals and then supercharge it!

So if you've read this far I really appreciate your interest! If you want to catch me on social media my Instagram is @Outlaw_Evans and my facebook is here https://www.facebook.com/HaydenOutlawEvans/?ref=settings

Last edited:

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
So I got the car completely stripped out. There was a few arms tweaked on the rear and the original panhard bar was super bent from a hit the car had. The frame still looks good, sits a hell of a lot better now. Also got some 4.10 gears waiting to get installed. Also put in a JLT air oil separator. Next things to go in are a set of sparco Evos and a JLT CAI with a tuner. First I need to take out the rest of the sound deadening
Kg75Ars.jpg

46addict

Reaction score
You're going to want to do something about the stock diff before adding power. The Trac lok is a clutch type LSD but it won't hold up to abuse. If you're opening up the rear end anyway to do gears, I would look at a Torsen or if you're welding the spider gears you should get the c-clip eliminators.

And I bet the stock clutch will be destroyed before you blow the engine.

braupe

Resident Diabetic...
Reaction score
That is very true. Next time I pop open the rear end I will be swapping to a torsen. That being said, steering angle is the most frustrating part of drifting this chassis. Beyond that, it isn't terrible.

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
You're going to want to do something about the stock diff before adding power. The Trac lok is a clutch type LSD but it won't hold up to abuse. If you're opening up the rear end anyway to do gears, I would look at a Torsen or if you're welding the spider gears you should get the c-clip eliminators.

I've been going back and forth welding the rear end but I've researched and found that it could "break the carrier and crack gears". But I would like to weld it because for me it feels more consistent. I'll have to look into C clip eliminators

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
Freaking awesome! Wang is a beast for sure. Good luck with the build. Are you planning on running Pro Am with your S197?

Yep! The plan is for the first part of this year to get a good baseline of what parts work and stuff, than towards the end add more power and angle. As far as power I'm looking into getting a centrifugal super charger and with angle there's a guy in California that builds a very good angle kit. Look up his Instagram @Clarkemotorsports I'm probably going to have him build my cage also

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
Made a lot of progress in the past few weeks. Stripped out all of the sound deadening other then the strips on the roof. I was scared that I would punch a hole through or mess something up with that. Also I got a panhard bar in trade with an interior piece which is great because the past owners bar was slightly bent from the left rear quarter panel that got hit. After looking closely the left rear side where the trailing arm mounts to the chassis is bent in a bit also, of course the previous owner said the chassis was perfectly fine... Anyways I got a quote from a shop that can straighten in for around 600-800$ which isn't too bad at all. Also I got my Grip royal wheel in too, super badass looking.
Only thing left is to put all the wires back, put on the cold air intake, load up the tune, and than test drive it at an Autox event and 4 days after that I'll be doing my first drift event with it. Mostly just shaking it down at the wet skid pad
Rzmj4HT.jpg

2DHNXx6.jpg

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
Love the progress!

There is also a guy that makes a full angle kit for about $700.

http://www.driftknuckles.com/product/ford-mustang-2004-2015-s197-unicorn-angle-kit

I'm totally considering getting that kit also! One guy I was talking to who runs the next generation up from the s197 used to have the unicorn kit but said it wasn't that great. Then he had a guy build a one off kit for him which costs around 1200$ which is night and day difference. But the 700$ price looks a hell of lot better for my budget haha

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
Little update from the past few days! Dual rear caliper bracket and handbrake is ordered! The bracket is being built by Clarke Motorsports and it going to be running dual piston wilwoods to help lock the heavy rear end. Also one of my buddies from drift all stars in Germany ordered me a badass epman adjustable handbrake. Only concern is I have to run a bigger master cylinder to feed enough fluid to the wilwood calipers so hopefully I can switch it out. Also found a cage builder here in Vegas that I trust to build something that could save my life haha. He goes by "The fabricator" here in Vegas

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
At my first drift event with the mustang I met a guy who built a 1968 Camaro for drifting and he also happens to be building a 2006 mustang for proam next year. He offered to do some fabrication work for me including the cage and also a dual caliper setup. With that, I have been having a hard time contacting Clarke motorsports who luckily hasn't taken payment from me so were going with Josh instead! Josh also used to be a fabricator for Brenthel in dersert racing. So I Definitely trust him. Here's some pics of parts I've ordered along with my set of feal 441 coilovers!

Also I named my car Chucky from Shameless...
y4y6Hb0.jpg

1Lbl0Jh.jpg

Pretty hard to drift with it completely stock but sure was fun
nbbNrpD.jpg

Mocked up stuff, you can see my epman handbrake also
3i0028Z.jpg

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
Also a shot of Josh's shop
fOLRqSH.jpg

The mustang he's building for proam in the bottom left was already a shell from a 2006 mustang v6. His plan right now is to put a Checy LM engine in it because he has some readily on hand, also running e85

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score

What info do you have on the C clip eliminators? I'm having a hard time finding out exactly what they are

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
PM sent on the c clip eliminators. So is the stock e brake bypassed?

Thanks for the info on the C clips! The stock e brake and cable has been removed. A separate brake caliper is was added with a Hydraulic brake with it's own reservoir. I'll throw up some pics

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
So next update! All fabrication is finished so the cage, e brake, harness bar/I bolts, tow hooks have been made and mounted also with the dual caliper bracket. Next steps for me is to first find somebody that can straighten the frame. After installing some lower control arms on the rear I found that one of the mounts for the arms is pushed in a super small about but is enough to toe in the left rear. The car did have a salvage title but the owner I purchased It from swore It wasn't frame damage and just the cost to repair the fender since it's unibody. After that I'll need to relock the differential because the last event only the driver side was locking up. At the same time I'm going to have it refreshed with bearings, 4.10 gears, and some better C clips. Also I got some Feal 441 coilovers, ignition coils, spark plugs, blow by canister and breather, and a/c delete to install in the meantime. Here's some pics
UJxbjOa.jpg

mOHHUwY.jpg

g9PqhSI.jpg

M0XuYnI.jpg

tQS7YXu.jpg

7nNiO2H.jpg

tORGlMo.jpg

z1wV1Vy.jpg

If you want to see more updates or actual videos you can follow my social stuff to @outlaw_evans or facebook https://www.facebook.com/HaydenOutlawEvans/

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
So after an event the rear diff wasn't locking after a bit and started some harsh grinding noises on the passenger side. The car is at a rear end shop that gave me two options. 1. Weld it up 2. Throw in an open carrier and put in mini spools. I asked for pricing on option 2 so we'll see how that goes. In the long run I see myself putting a 9in in. Only thing stopping me is I already bought the 4.10 gears to put into the 8.8

braupe

Resident Diabetic...
Reaction score
Man the 9" sounds like overkill. The 8.8 is a decent diff and most have had pretty good luck with them. I know I have. Not a bad choice on the 4.10. I went 3.73, and when drifting I often with I had 4.10 or 3.55. I find my self in the gray zone with 3.73's.

OutlawEvans

forum member
Reaction score
Man the 9" sounds like overkill. The 8.8 is a decent diff and most have had pretty good luck with them. I know I have. Not a bad choice on the 4.10. I went 3.73, and when drifting I often with I had 4.10 or 3.55. I find my self in the gray zone with 3.73's.

Only thing I'm iffy about with the 8.8 is the C clips and I've heard from a lot of people that run C clip eliminators they have issues with them leaking. So the 9in could clear that up. We'll see though

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back