MT ET street radial pros vs et street R's

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Hello all, Just been on the fence about my next set of drag tires for the car in my sig below. I've been told ET street radial pros are the way to go, but know of a few members here that are 60'ing well on the et street R's. I have no problem running either, but if I can safely drive the car 200 miles round trip to my track a half dozen times and have similar results as the Radial pros, and will also last maybe a few thousand miles, I might re-think the radial pros that I'm leaning towards now.

Also not completely dismissing the Hoosier drag radials, but just have a sour taste for them as they didn't do too well on my old 04 Cobra. But admittedly I should've been on a bias plys for sure with that one being a manual trans car.

Also more reports on the M&H drag radials on 15 rims that are 28" or a hair taller would be helpful too if you've seen them in action on an automatic Coyote

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
There are a lot of options with the R series. They also now have a Bias ply selection as well. I chose to go with the Pro series to see if I could do better or at least more consistent at our local track. The owner there has no concept of prep for T/T nights. So going with the recommendation of many guys racing much faster cars than mine down there, I went to a 15" setup and followed their advice on the Pro's as well.

I ran pretty well on the 17" 305/40/17's last year running 1.6-1.7 most passes, but was wanting more and more low 1.6's if not 1.5's. But I now sacrifice mounting up and driving on them to the track.

With your track drive that is up to you if you mount at home or after you arrive. If they prep well, the R series against the Pro's won't be much of a difference as they are both an MT R2 compound. I drove to the track on my R series at 18-20 psi cold. Lowered them to 16.5-17.0 psi for passes. That was on a 17" rear wheel setup. As long as there was no (and I mean ZERO, Zip, Zilch) water on the road I drove like normal. The least amount of moisture, it's time to drive like Grandpa Jones.

Good luck. Hope this helps. I will be making some passes on my Pro's tomorrow night if the weather stays good. I will know more then on how they are working compared to the R series. I have only made two passes on them so far.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
There are a lot of options with the R series. They also now have a Bias ply selection as well. I chose to go with the Pro series to see if I could do better or at least more consistent at our local track. The owner there has no concept of prep for T/T nights. So going with the recommendation of many guys racing much faster cars than mine down there, I went to a 15" setup and followed their advice on the Pro's as well.

I ran pretty well on the 17" 305/40/17's last year running 1.6-1.7 most passes, but was wanting more and more low 1.6's if not 1.5's. But I now sacrifice mounting up and driving on them to the track.

With your track drive that is up to you if you mount at home or after you arrive. If they prep well, the R series against the Pro's won't be much of a difference as they are both an MT R2 compound. I drove to the track on my R series at 18-20 psi cold. Lowered them to 16.5-17.0 psi for passes. That was on a 17" rear wheel setup. As long as there was no (and I mean ZERO, Zip, Zilch) water on the road I drove like normal. The least amount of moisture, it's time to drive like Grandpa Jones.

Good luck. Hope this helps. I will be making some passes on my Pro's tomorrow night if the weather stays good. I will know more then on how they are working compared to the R series. I have only made two passes on them so far.

I'll hopefully get some passes in on this Saturday, I went ahead and went with the radial pro's myself. Did you get to the track yet with yours and get some times?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Crap forgot about this thread. I made 3 passes at a nearby track a couple weeks back. 1.69,1.69, and 1.70 on the Pro series. ET's were 10.86@130, 10.86@131, and 10.87@129. Air temp was 69 degrees, DA 1200ish, track elevation 806ft. More consistent than the R series 17's, but nothing as I was hoping to see such as that elusive 1.5x 60ft. I figure that running a 3.15 gear with a factory converter isn't going to yield me much better than 1.6's. So.....

Thankfully a local acquaintance is getting ready to upgrade his 6R80 stall to a Circle D 4C for his setup and has a 3C he will be selling me at half price...in hopes its a 258mm like I am needing. That should help bring down those 60ft times and still retain very good street manners.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Right on man, nice runs regardless! Was you spinning, or just simply not in the power band "out of the hole" because of the stock stall converter? Also, how much air pressure in those tires for a starting point would you recommend? I seen BMR mentioned 16.5psi for the street R's, but didn't mention the pros in the thread I was reading.

I finally got a chance to install and balance my pros last night, and they felt pretty damn grippy on the street, I'll try to remember to post up some 1/8th mile track times for my car this up-coming Saturday, I cannot wait!! It's been a long, cold, miserable winter her in Wyoming.

Last edited:

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Crap forgot about this thread. I made 3 passes at a nearby track a couple weeks back. 1.69,1.69, and 1.70 on the Pro series. ET's were 10.86@130, 10.86@131, and 10.87@129. Air temp was 69 degrees, DA 1200ish, track elevation 806ft. More consistent than the R series 17's, but nothing as I was hoping to see such as that elusive 1.5x 60ft. I figure that running a 3.15 gear with a factory converter isn't going to yield me much better than 1.6's. So.....

Thankfully a local acquaintance is getting ready to upgrade his 6R80 stall to a Circle D 4C for his setup and has a 3C he will be selling me at half price...in hopes its a 258mm like I am needing. That should help bring down those 60ft times and still retain very good street manners.
Unless he's changing the actual size of the converter, Circle D can adjust the stall speed free of charge if it's within 1 year from purchase date, or 200$ after that. Something for you to think about too if you get a stall from them and it isn't quite tight, or loose enough for your application.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Unless he's changing the actual size of the converter, Circle D can adjust the stall speed free of charge if it's within 1 year from purchase date, or 200$ after that. Something for you to think about too if you get a stall from them and it isn't quite tight, or loose enough for your application.

Will keep that in mind. Thanks. He's getting this one custom ordered for his application. I don't know the specifics, just see it as a win-win hopefully. I'm just seeking to have the car remain in the 10's regardless of air temps and DA and still remain as driveable as it is currently.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
Will keep that in mind. Thanks. He's getting this one custom ordered for his application. I don't know the specifics, just see it as a win-win hopefully. I'm just seeking to have the car remain in the 10's regardless of air temps and DA and still remain as driveable as it is currently.
I agree, 10's are fast imo, and you can have your cake and eat it too easily with these coyotes. AKA still have a very manageable street car.

Last edited:

dustyn83

Reaction score
I tried the ET street radial pro on the track and they were very sticky.

skaarlaj

Reaction score
I tried the ET street radial pro on the track and they were very sticky.
Yeah, I'm liking mine too. I'm thinking of trying the 15" R's when these wear out though, unless someone says they stink in comparison to the pros.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
ET Pro's will be faster on a decent track all day long over the R. Another tire to consider if you don't need the DOT stamp is the Mickey Thompson Pro Bracket Radial. MT says it's better than the ET Pro on less prepped surfaces and will last a little longer too. Nothing beats the ET Pro on a good track though.

I've driven the Pro Bracket's on the street and they don't hook near as well in 2nd gear as the NT555r in the same sizes.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back