8.8 Rear End Question

pondroski

Reaction score
I am getting ready to install an 8.8 rear end in my '05 Ford Mustang V6 and was wondering the consensus of what brand of differential gear lube I should use.

Thanks in Advance Gary

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Did the same swap on an '05 and used Royal Purple 75W140 with the friction modifier already mixed in.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
The MasterPro full synthetic at Oreilys is great and about 9.99 a quart. Personally I'm not a fan of Royal Purple.
The Super Tech brand sold at Wal-Mart is top shelf too, I know, I know, flame on, but it's totally true.
Keys are FULL synthetic and 75w140 weight.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Did the same swap on an '05 and used Royal Purple 75W140 with the friction modifier already mixed in.

Even though RP has 'some friction modifier' properties, some people still get groaning on low-speed turns. If that happens, you will need to add the 4 oz. of friction modifier. Just to prevent issues, even though I use RP all the time, I always add the friction modifier with it to prevent those groaning issues.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
If you go buy friction modifier, take 4 Ziploc bags and a disposable sealed container to put it in. That shit will make your vehicle stink for a week.

Like said, any good full synthetic is fine.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
I have 2 8.8 inch rears. One on my 2013 GT and 2003 GT. 2003 I have mobile 1 with Ford friction modifier and 2013 has Royal Purple with Ford friction modifier. No real difference I can hear. Both are quite and seem good. Mobil 1 or Royal Purple is both 20 a quart. But I firmly believe spend the extra few bucks at like LMR or Ford dealership and buy the friction modifier and put it in.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back