4.0 v6 mustang 2005

Jeffhuggins1982

Reaction score
I just bought a 2005 4.0 v6 mustang. It was making a racket. I knew it was the timing chain. When I took off the value covers. I noticed that on the driver

The driver side that the timing chain guide was missing the bolt to hold down the guide on the top. And broken. I removed the value cover on the passenger side and saw the timing chain and gear on the back of the moter. Grrrr I wasn't happy about that at all. So I started looking for info on this moter. I couldn't find much. Like how to retime this moter,and do I have to pull the moter to change the back timing chain and guide? I would like a diagram so I know more on what I am doing, but the only book I found. They was tring to charge me $200.00.

Last edited by a moderator:

0BlackBeauty5

Reaction score
Try googling it tons of diagrams on there im pretty sure.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Jeffhuggins1982

Reaction score
Oh I have been googling this subject for hours. I am tired of all the download for free sites. Then when you get there. They ask for a credit card. I finally broke down, and went to the autozone website. They said they don't have a repair manaul for this car, and moter. That's why I decided to try this form.

Last edited:

JimC

Reaction score
You need to pull the motor to get to the back timing chain from what I understand.

If you go to www.mustangcollective.com you will find a lot of guys with experience with the 4.0. That site you are more likely to find someone who knows the 4.0 than here - just a difference in the participants.

Mirage

Reaction score
I have to agree with the above. The collective has a great bunch of v6 guys willing to help. And yes, unfortunately, the motor will have to come out to replace the timing chains and guides. (I know, I'm not looking forward to it either). But if you search youtube you'll be amazed at the number of tear downs and such you'll find. Some better than others, but hey, it's free....

Best of luck!

Shannon OConnor

Reaction score
Oh I have been googling this subject for hours. I am tired of all the download for free sites. Then when you get there. They ask for a credit card. I finally broke down, and went to the autozone website. They said they don't have a repair manaul for this car, and moter. That's why I decided to try this form.
To do the right side (passenger) engine will have to be removed and takes special timing chain alignment tools sold as kit on Amazon.com. Look at You Tube for free info (tons).

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back