2013 shaker 500

zippy

Reaction score
ok, i have a 2013 gt with the shaker 500 system and navigation. i want to add an amplifier to power a planned 3-way speaker set up in my doors and eliminate using the 5x7 door speaker and door sub.

my question is, are the door speakers powered by an amplifier or are they powered from the factory head unit. i swear i have searched and looked at wiring diagrams but they are all for 2011. have they changed?

i understand the factory door subs are powered by an external amplifier but i am not sure about the 5x7 speaker in the doors.

i don't want to change the factory set-up due to having navigation so my quest is to install an alpine digital signal processor and an aftermarket amp if possible. i already have a pac harness that i am using in order to add an external amp and sub in the trunk.

can anyone help me out. i have tried to research but i work a crap ton of hours and my searching has left me more confused than it has helped.

stv_huff

Stock
Reaction score
The only amps I have found and are aware of are the amps to power the door subs.

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
So in 2013 Ford dropped the names Shaker 500 and Shaker 1000 and instead refers to them as Shaker and Shaker pro. Figuring out Ford's audio systems is confusing because they seem to change them every couple of years. I installed the Shelby Kicker upgrade to the Shaker system in my 2013 Premium.

As I discovered there are two amps up under the dash above the left side kick panel. One drives the door and rear speakers while the other drives the door subs. The Shelby Kicker amp mounts under the glove box and connects to the amp that drives the four standard speakers. Since it also provides a signal output for a self powered trunk sub, I guess they didn't see a need to address the door subs.

I upgraded all four of the regular speakers using the Shelby Kickers and added the Kicker trunk sub that tucks away into the right corner of the trunk. I also upgraded the door subs with the Kicker replacements but as the upgrades are single voice coil instead of dual voice coil they are not as loud. No worries though, the trunk sub more than makes up for it.

If I were to do it over again I think I'd skip upgrading the rear speakers and save a few $$ and go for the Pioneer dual voice coil door subs I discovered later.

Overall I'm really pleased with the system, it easily rivals if not outperforms the Mark Levinson system I had in my Lexus.

boogies1018

Reaction score
So do the Kicker door subs have more of a mid-range fill in now? I heard they do not hit or not as loud as the factory subs since they are svc.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back