Royal Purple Synchromax Trans oil

Yoyo1

stangester
Reaction score
Royal Purple Synchromax Trans oil.

Ok. I apologize ahead of time. This issue has come up b4. But I desire definitive answer . . . if there is one.

Many say its not good for the 2008 Mustang GT. I read this S197 model is a T-3650 transmission . . . not sure if this is correct.

Many say its good for this car.

Throughout this forum, I read some good stuff and some bad stuff. Many seem to say use Mercon 5.

Final scoop...RP Synchromax good or bad?? I just want to make sure it won't screw up the car and is not worse then factory recommended fluid.

Thoughts? Yes, I already ordered it and LMR won't cover S&H if I return it. Lol.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I suggest you read the rules of this forum.. Threads such as this belong in the chit chat sub forums, not technical !

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
There isn't one

Moved

Yoyo1

stangester
Reaction score
Good grief 06 TRed..GT...lighten up. Its just a question. Sorry if it offended you! Lol...kill me im a newbee.

Yoyo1

stangester
Reaction score
Yes...from this forum and others looks like RP is not too good. Wow, its kind of odd as it gets good reviews on certain websites.

Phil1098

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I called Tremec and asked them what to use in a TR3650 and without hesitation he said Mobil1 ATF. Said that's what they use.

Last edited:

SVT Rider

Reaction score
Correct, the TR-3560 was qualified as a transmission with Mobile 1 Synthetic ATF (meets Dexron-III and Mercon-V specs), and Ford went with their Mercon V since it already was a fluid Motorcraft supplied and used. Mobile 1 is a great upgrade for better shifting feel and high/low temperature stability.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Once you get the Royal Purple oil, pour it on weeds in your yard. Then go to the auto parts store and get ya some M1 tranny fluid. ;) :D

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
The theory per Tremec is that they never tested with RP so they can't recommend it. It's been reported than not only RP but other transmission fluids will delaminate the syncros over time. Nobody really knows AFAIK.

I've used it and it worked just fine in my 3650 as long as the temps were summer like. As soon as it got chilly the trans would need to be shifted very slow until the fluid warmed up.

If you want to use RP then use the ATF. It has all the testing and certs to be used for ATF and ATF is what is speced by Tremec.

As for the bad press it mostly comes from places or people who sell a boutique lubricant. RP can be purchased anywhere and it eats into private sales of boutique dealers. At least that's my take on it.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
The theory per Tremec is that they never tested with RP so they can't recommend it. It's been reported than not only RP but other transmission fluids will delaminate the syncros over time. Nobody really knows AFAIK.

I've used it and it worked just fine in my 3650 as long as the temps were summer like. As soon as it got chilly the trans would need to be shifted very slow until the fluid warmed up.

If you want to use RP then use the ATF. It has all the testing and certs to be used for ATF and ATF is what is speced by Tremec.

As for the bad press it mostly comes from places or people who sell a boutique lubricant. RP can be purchased anywhere and it eats into private sales of boutique dealers. At least that's my take on it.

I have had 2 FWD Ford manual transmissions fail using RP within a suspect time period. Both grenade'd.
Once I started looking into them, the negative feed back I've seen in oil studies vs. mobil 1 rules RP out for me.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back