Official S197 Bow Hunting thread

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Anybody else bow hunt? I've just picked up the hobby recently and am looking forward to this season.

My two set ups:

Practice practice practice!!!

Last edited:

BEAST

CHEROKEE NOOB HUNTER
Reaction score
Cinnamon Creek is up your way they have a bad ass range, and lots of tournaments. I think shooting in tournaments has made me a lot better hunter.

If you can find somewhere with a D.A.R.T range you got try it. It's a 20 yd shot at a video screen. I always shoot the "Buckmaster's Biggest". It will stop play and score your shot with a picture of the vitals. Most 1:1 realistic game you will ever play, and you do it with your very own bow and arrows. Fucking awesome!

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
I love to bow hunt. Been doing it for about 15 years! Jaye you got a lease?

Cinnamon Creek is up your way they have a bad ass range, and lots of tournaments. I think shooting in tournaments has made me a lot better hunter.

If you can find somewhere with a D.A.R.T range you got try it. It's a 20 yd shot at a video screen. I always shoot the "Buckmaster's Biggest". It will stop play and score your shot with a picture of the vitals. Most 1:1 realistic game you will ever play, and you do it with your very own bow and arrows. Fucking awesome!

I don't have a lease... yet. Cinnamon creek is where I got the itch. I went with some friends from church and had a blast. How do I find out where there's a D.A.R.T. Range? Does Cinnamon Creek have one?

BEAST

CHEROKEE NOOB HUNTER
Reaction score
I need one too, lol. Lease prices are just about to force me out of the sport.

You will just have to call around to find a "DART" range. It's a 12k option for a bow shop, so not many have them. The one I had local was sold a few years back, now its in some ass holes man cave.

Here is one in action:

Last edited:

mpm_1

forum member
Reaction score
I love the bow - I target shoot quite a bit simply out of enjoyment / stress relief.

Have been deer hunting the last few years as well - can't beat the challenge and the rush.

nitrobob

forum member
Reaction score
Been a bowhunter for 27 yrs mostly hunting here in Missouri but occasionally get a non-resident tag for Illinois and Ohio.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Any opinions on a 2011 Hoyt super slam? Got a friend asking $500 for his set up. Was thinking about upgrading.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Well I went ahead and bought it. The guy is a client of mine and traded me his taxes and a little cash for the set up. Here it is:

I've got a little bow room going on now.

BadPiggy

Hooligan Asshole
Reaction score
Checkout "archerytalk.com"...pretty good forum.

Some 20+ years ago I shot for a manufacturer, Alpine Archery. I eventually got to where I made my own strings. Alpine would send us our bows, the first place mine went was to the bow press for total disassembly. My draw length was 29 1/2" and back in those days, you changed draw lengths on bows by doing a cam lobe swap. Well, the longer the draw, the harder the cam lobe...32" draw lobes were biggest they made. I would put a 32" cam lobe on my bow, build new cables & strings (cables were actually strings back then, too), I'd change the cam axles & bushings, spin the main string up, put it back together. By changing the cam lobes, string lengths and spinning the string up, it brought the draw length back into my range. Then we shot these tiny ass $18 dollar EACH arrows using an overdraw. What we ended up with is what is commonplace today without all that work...a bow that shot 326FPS set at 62lbs. That doesn't sound like much to brag about today, but 20+ years ago that was about as fast as you could get them to go. Fun times!!!

My very first bow hunt, I all but gave up rifle hunting. We had scouted the area 2 weeks prior. I found my spot, securing my tree stand and left. Opening morning we went to our location. I headed to my tree. Got up my tree, all situated in. About 2 hours later, here comes an unsuspecting doe meandering her way up and down the hill. She eventually makes her way directly out in front of my stand, about 37 yards away, broadside. Already standing, I click my release on my string, draw back, lay that 30 yd bead right in her rib section and let that arrow fly! She jumped, I watched my arrow go below her chest cavity...MISSED! She bolts off and that's the end of my first opening morning bow hunt. Although I didn't tag her, I was instantly hooked on bow hunting. I was into it so much it got to the point I was taking my bow during gun season. Over the years I had so much fun bow hunting. I even had the opportunity to kill a MASSIVE 10 pointer DIRECTLY under my tree! When I say directly, I mean directly...when I aimed, I was aiming straight down to the ground. He walked right under my stand. I literally could've jumped from my stand, onto his back and cut his damn throat!

Anyway, good times Jaye.
Enjoy your adventure.

Taxman

One foot out the door
Reaction score
Sounds very cool Chris. I'm really looking forward to going out.

mpm_1

forum member
Reaction score
Bow season here in the Hoosier state

got a doe couple weeks back and got this 8 pointer this morning

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back