front springs chop time

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Application - 2014 Mustang GT.
Project cutting front springs to lower car 1 inch.

I've given up on BMR coming out with a 1" drop front spring for cars like mine toting a 2.3TVS up front which makes the car sit 1/2" - 3/4" so I have decided to pull the spare pair of stock front springs out of the garage and whack them to obtain a 1" drop.

I would like to know how much to take out of the stock front springs for a total 1" drop. Absolutely no lower than that. 1/4 coil? 1/2 coil? 3/4 coil?

And do I take it off the top or off the bottom of the spring?

Thanks for the technical feedback in advance.

If you have actually done this on your FRONT STOCK springs please let me know how much you took out and how much it lowered the car, based on measurement taken from bottom edge of fender well to top of rim or bottom edge of the rim before and after. Thanks.

Last edited:

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
How do you plan to cut the spring and still have it fit in the stock strut? Aren't the stock springs progressive?

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Do not cut the top of the spring since it fits a specified diameter seat. The bottom of the spring can be cut since the first winding to two are the same diameter. As far as how much to cut off, it all depends on the additional weight you have on the front end with the TVS. I'd recommend starting with a quarter coil and see how much that lowers the ride. It's easy to take more off but, impossible to add it back. The good thing is you should be able to find OEM springs fairly easily if you whack off too much.

Don't use a torch, use a cut saw or band saw since they produce the least amount of heat that won't alter the springs tension.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Do not cut the top of the spring since it fits a specified diameter seat. The bottom of the spring can be cut since the first winding to two are the same diameter. As far as how much to cut off, it all depends on the additional weight you have on the front end with the TVS. I'd recommend starting with a quarter coil and see how much that lowers the ride. It's easy to take more off but, impossible to add it back. The good thing is you should be able to find OEM springs fairly easily if you whack off too much.

Don't use a torch, use a cut saw or band saw since they produce the least amount of heat that won't alter the springs tension.

Guessing the TVS and HE topped off adds 75-90 lbs? The TVS is 60lb or so.I never weighed the unit but it about gave me a hernia when I picked it up. It surprised me how heavy it was. with the IC assembly attached. LOL! The weight is over and slightly behind the axle line on the main unit. The triple pass H.E. weighs in at 18 lb empty as I recall. Not sure of its capacity.

Was planning on using a whiz wheel? I know not to use a torch which would taint the steel. Thankfully if I whack off too much I still have the other factory pair.

Last edited:

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
How do you plan to cut the spring and still have it fit in the stock strut? Aren't the stock springs progressive?

Pretty certain the standard springs are linear. If I find out they are progressive I will axe the idea and probably end up buying the Hurst 1" drop setup and only using the fronts.

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Why not pick up a set of springs from a 6 cylinder Mustang?

My '09 Bullitt had factory springs that sat about 3/4" lower than stock. Rears were CJ springs and fronts were V6 springs I believe. By the time I added the blower it sat just about as low as I would want to go. I liked the stance so much that after I totaled the car I saved the springs and reused them on my '14.

The pic in my signature isn't with the Bullitt springs. That was with a Ford Racing/ Eibach setup that I hated and pulled off after a month.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ Never thought of that. Do you know how much it dropped the car? The biggest issue I have is going to low in the front and not being able to get the car in/out of the driveway. 1" total is all I can go in the front. Thanks for the suggestion.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Like I said, stock it was about 3/4" lower than the GT springs. Right now my '14 GT (without a blower) measures 28.5" from the ground to the top inside of the fender lip. The chin spoiler measures 7" off the garage floor. With an extra 100 lbs from a blower, heat exchanger and water you can probably subtract another half inch from that.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Yup, had a couple weeks worth of extra work out of it but still waiting to get paid for most of it. Should make my winter season a bit more comfortable.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cutting springs is never a good idea unless they were specifically designed for it. Stock springs are not designed to be cut.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Why not? I thought stock linear springs are ok to have one coil cut?
I wouldn't do it myself but I'm curious.

You can totally cut a linear spring, man. A chop saw or sawzall is best, no torch. My worry would be the fact the S197 springs are located in a pocket in the perch, so once you cut them back they will surely loose some stability.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Not really, the bottom perch is fixed on the strut with a positive stop for the coil and the top perch can spin to meet the end of the coil before installation

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Not really, the bottom perch is fixed on the strut with a positive stop for the coil and the top perch can spin to meet the end of the coil before installation

This is true, I mean, ultimately I guess in that case it should work.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Well boys, I've got a spare pair of stock springs and struts. Won't cost anything more than time since I have them in the garage to play with over the winter. Will take OLDVOR's advise and take a 1/4 - 1/2 coil out ofhte bottm, assemble and see how it all turns out. Heck SVT Cobra guys have been whacking their linear springs in the front for years to drop an inch or so. Guess I will dothis and provide some feedback on the results. ifthat doesn't work to my liking I will look for a pair of V6 front springs and try them as SKWERL suggested. Last effort will be simply to by the Hurst 1 inch drop setup.

I guess I could seek a pair of Boss 302 front springs as they supposedly sit a little lower. Never thought of that until just now.

Thanks for the feedback.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back