Good size for winter tires?

Tungsten_GT

forum member
Reaction score
With the approaching winter, I'll need a set of winter tires for my 07-09 gt500 wheels, anyone run these as winter wheels? What tires do you use and in what sizes?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I've run 255/45-18's in the past on those exact same wheels, and will be running 265/40-18's on them through this winter.

Winters here (sort of near Philly in NJ) are probably a little milder than what you typically see, and being retired with two other cars available I don't actually have to drive the Mustang if conditions are bad enough. But that need only affect the makes/models of the tires for you to choose from. Not the size.

Norm

Tungsten_GT

forum member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a winter driver, but right now the Mustang is my only car, ideally I'd like blizzaks, but they're a bit out of my price range, how are the Yokohama Ice Guards? Seems as though they have good reviews.

Thenorm

Autocrosser
Reaction score
any winter tire is better than none. shopping soley based on price will still be effective.

i have the ig52C on my wifes escape. havent had to put them to the test much. i would rate them at competent. price was right, and they are LRR.

noldevin

forum member
Reaction score
Skinny and tall makes for the best snow tire size. You'll notice a negative handling impact during dry weather though.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
I ran 245/45R18 Nitto SN2's on my S197 every winter. Looking at 235/55R18's for the S550.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
245/45's are fine on 9.5" wheels. You lose a little rim protection, but it's not unsafe.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Just as far out of spec as putting a 275/60R15 on a 15x10. ;) Sadly, this is exactly what I have spent some of my downtime on at work. Looking at what wheels I can get cheap instead of running the hideous stock wheels. I sourced a nice set of three 18x10's for WAY cheap... but it would have been just a CH too wide for the tires I'm considering.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Understood . . . been in a similar position with 8.5" wide wheels bought for 245/50-15's, and by the time I'd worn those tires out that size had just gone away in anything worth using for corner-carving. Ended up being the same half inch out of spec on the high side with 225/60's because I wasn't going to buy a set of wheels, use them for one set of tires, and then have to either store or dispose of them. Somewhere along the line I've managed to talk with a technical person at a major tire company who at least hinted that being a half inch out of spec on the wide end of the approved range was better than being half an inch out of spec below the narrow end. As long as you understood that a firmer ride is to be expected.

Norm

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
245/45/17 Bridgestone Blizzaks were the best snow tier investment I ever made. Drove 28 miles each way to work in the Mustang. 5" of unplowed snow and I was running 35-45 with no issues on four lane highway. Ran them only on the back. I did not purchase the H rated series but went with the lesser speed rated Blizzak. When I no longer had to use the car as a daily, I sold them to a friend that is still running them in the winter 4 years later.

noldevin

forum member
Reaction score
245/45/17 Bridgestone Blizzaks were the best snow tier investment I ever made. Drove 28 miles each way to work in the Mustang. 5" of unplowed snow and I was running 35-45 with no issues on four lane highway. Ran them only on the back. I did not purchase the H rated series but went with the lesser speed rated Blizzak. When I no longer had to use the car as a daily, I sold them to a friend that is still running them in the winter 4 years later.

Snow tires should always be put on all four wheels. Turning and stopping are more important than going.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Best: Four snows
Second best: Two snows on rear only
Third best: Four all seasons
Worst: Two snows on front only

You get into a situation where braking is being done with snows on front and all season on the rear, and you spin. Fast. Those are accidents that end up with people in the ditch, because the rear slides out and is NOT recoverable.

fast Ed

forum member
Reaction score
DO NOT put 2 winter tires on a modern vehicle with ABS and / or traction control (shouldn't do it on any car really). The electronic systems will be confused by the amount of available grip between the two different types of tires. Put on 4 winter tires, or none at all.

KonaBlueBryar

forum member
Reaction score
i run nitto 555, 285/40/18 that were on my dads old gt500s, in the winter and snow. its terrible. but better than putting my nice wheels through the winter lol. illinois winters are usually pretty brutal too lol. i want some all seasons real bad.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
i run nitto 555, 285/40/18 that were on my dads old gt500s, in the winter and snow. its terrible. but better than putting my nice wheels through the winter lol. illinois winters are usually pretty brutal too lol. i want some all seasons real bad.
How THE FUCK have you not died like 7 times already?!

fast Ed

forum member
Reaction score

That's just plain stupid, endangering yourself and others unfortunate enough to be driving near you. Get an extra set of stock wheels or whatever you can find cheap, put a set of WINTER tires on them, not all-season. There's no point in your second set of tires being a compromise as well.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back