Another trip to COTA another broken part...

EdwardGT

forum member
Reaction score
Last trip to COTA, I blew up my clutch. This past Saturday, on my 6th session of the weekend, one of my front Eibach sway bar mounts broke right off in turn 15. I actually thought a rear tire went down. Maybe I got too aggressive on the curbing throughout the weekend. I didn't hit any of the secondary "turtles" - only the shorter ones.

This actually my second Eibach sway bar mount to fail - though last time it was one of the billet rears.

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
Last trip to COTA, I blew up my clutch. This past Saturday, on my 6th session of the weekend, one of my front Eibach sway bar mounts broke right off in turn 15. I actually thought a rear tire went down. Maybe I got too aggressive on the curbing throughout the weekend. I didn't hit any of the secondary "turtles" - only the shorter ones.

This actually my second Eibach sway bar mount to fail - though last time it was one of the billet rears.

Endlink, I assume? Solution there is the UMI endlinks... If it was a front mount, though, how exactly did it fail? Tear away from the radiator crossmember? Shear a stud? Rip the bracket?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I'm thinking it was the endlink bracket on the strut failed at the weld and "broke right off". Eibach doesn't have to mean the bar or its chassis side brackets, as there are coilovers that carry the Eibach name (strut-side bracket failure is the first thing that comes to mind for those of us who shopped for a different single-adjustable strut 6 years or so ago).

Might as well do the UMI endlinks anyway, regardless of what actually broke here. They use a through-bolt approach that is readily re-usable and you can mount them bolt-head side out for tire clearance (avoids having to cut the studs and then having to clean up the threads).

Norm

Last edited:

EdwardGT

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay. Been out of town since my post. It seems to have torn the bracket at the radiator crossmember. Haven't pulled it off yet.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Please post a few photos of the offending part as it sits on the car and off.
Also, any specs on your setup?

EdwardGT

forum member
Reaction score
I'll post pics once I get under there.

The car is an '08 GT.
-Koni Yellows
-Vogtland GT500 springs
-Eibach sways
-MM Caster/Camber Plates
-MM Panhard
-FRPP Strut Brace
-GT500 LCA's
-Saleen/Stoptech BBK w/ 2-piece slotted rotors
-Stoptech slotted rear rotors
-Quantum front brake ducts
-Goodrich rear stainless brake lines
-Motul RBF600
-PFC 08(F)/06(R) pads
-Eaton TrueTrac w/ 3.73's, FRPP finned cover
-Avon 300/60/18 slicks on '08 GT500 wheels
-K&N CAI
-Corsa Xtreme Axle-backs

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
Looks like this new offering from UMI may come in handy here if you haven't seen it:

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130416

Were you using the OEM braket for the FSB or something else?

I guess depending on the carnage under there the repair may involve a welder and new holes which could be an opportunity to re-enforce it anyway.

I'm using the UMI Billet brackets on the FSB with an Eibach bar, so far so good (fingers crossed).

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back