ChevyKiller - The Resurrection!

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Got parts together over the last week and actually began the final reconstruction of the killer yesterday. I'll try to keep this thread updated throughout the build-up.

Today, I spent 3 hours at GAS going over the return system piece by piece and figuring out exactly how and where we are going to do it. The rewiring of the entire car began yesterday. The rear end was pulled Friday and the axel tubes were welded, everything else was welded again correctly, and had the rust scraped off and started with a nice 3 coats of paint...
View attachment 3814

View attachment 3815

View attachment 3816

We took out all of the emmisions stuff under the spare tire well and just for giggles, I put the stuff on the scale. Are you ready for this? 98 lbs! (This was just the emissions crap under the spare tire well alone!)

Started rewiring everything...
View attachment 3817

View attachment 3818

View attachment 3819

Dustin at Whipple is working on some custom pullies for me. The TC came friday so the rear is going back in today after that gets put in. The properly lengthed driveshaft also finished up today.

One of the main guys working on my car right now is this old guy 'Kooch' who has been a custom fab designer for over 20 years and has several sema cars concept cars in his credits. He is fabbing up the entire trunk set-up the rest of this week and it is bad ass! The fuel cell is in the trunk and he is building an enormous intercooler resevoir AROUND THE FUEL CELL! What is really cool is my resevoir is also going to act as a chiller for the fuel! Pretty trick - after we got rid of the stock gas tank, we were able to run the small partical filter that is going after the pump there. The big filter before the pump sits nicely below the spare tire well with the pump. With all the emissions crap out of the bottom of the car, we were able to mock up the pump and return system in that area and away from the heat of the mufflers. The motor is getting pulled out by Friday and the airbrush guy is picking up my valve covers, intake tube, and some other stuff to custom match my checkered flag air brushing everywhere else. The intake manifold and some other stuff is going to the 'shine' department to smooth and high polish everything. Should be able to eat off my engine when it's done...:clap:

I've got some other custom goodies courtesy of Agent 47, canton, and Bassani that were delivered. Once I get the okay, I'll show the cool stuff...:thumb:

The rear seat delete will be custom fabbed out of aluminum once the return system is in place and the wiring is finished to round out with the other mods I have going in the interior. The original boss side mirrors also came in yesterday and went to paint. Most of that type of stuff will just sit around till we finish the big stuff and then will put all the 'pretty' mods on in one shot at the end. So far, I have taken 100 lbs off the front of my car, 125 lbs off the rear of my car, and moved about 100 lbs from in front of the axles to behind the axles.

I'll try to keep the thread updated. I'll be back there on Friday doing some other stuff.

Mark

Last edited:

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That is SO cool Mark, watching this thing go through so many different changes is amazeing!! Does this mean that my new fuel setup is ready to be shipped?

Shawn

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL - Shawn. we just mocked up up today. The reality is we may change things around as we start actually placing everything. I am expecting to have the GT500 system and BAP's out of the car by Friday. So, after I inspect and make sure they are in perfect order, I should be shipping to you on Friday or Monday at the latest. Once I get them out and inspect them - I'll give you the okay to send the paypal...:beer:

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Sounds like a great plan Mark... glad to hear its moving forward!

We took out all of the emmisions stuff under the spare tire well and just for giggles, I put the stuff on the scale. Are you ready for this? 98 lbs! (This was just the emissions crap under the spare tire well alone!)
Got pics? I'd like to know more about this.

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thought some of you may be interested in the functional 1/4 window vents...

Steve Carpenter, the manager of GAS used his Boss as the prototype. Mine are actually already done and painted but we're waiting to get the big stuff out of the way and will install them at the end when we do the rest of the show mods. Here's a couple pics I took today with my phone of his. Mine are identical except his go right to the rear rotors as his is set-up as a road race car. Since the killer is a drag car, I'm just venting them down to the diff but they can and do go right to the rear rotors. Getting them to the rotors is the tricky part because of the mufflers so the cost is going to be $300 more to make them to the rotors. Since the Killer is a drag car, I decided to save the $300 and go to the diff.
View attachment 3820

View attachment 3821

View attachment 3822

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
wow... that is some build up!!

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great plan Mark... glad to hear its moving forward!

Got pics? I'd like to know more about this.

I forgot to get pics of that. It's already off but I'll get pics of it removed on Friday for you. It's pretty easy, look directly under the spare tire well and you'll see what almost looks like a steel rectangle 'basket' with a bunch of hard lines in and out of it all over the place. This is all emission stuff that if you don't have cats - you don't need anyway. If you look under the car, you'll notice it easily. That with the other steel tubing and some other stuff along the underside of the car to the motor all totaled about 125 lbs of emission crap I wasn't using anyway that came off. :clap:

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I forgot to get pics of that. It's already off but I'll get pics of it removed on Friday for you. It's pretty easy, look directly under the spare tire well and you'll see what almost looks like a steel rectangle 'basket' with a bunch of hard lines in and out of it all over the place. This is all emission stuff that if you don't have cats - you don't need anyway. If you look under the car, you'll notice it easily. That with the other steel tubing and some other stuff along the underside of the car to the motor all totaled about 125 lbs of emission crap I wasn't using anyway that came off. :clap:
Yes, please get some pics. I don't have a car to look under at the moment. haha

jsawyer

uh oh
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Wow Mark! A little show with the go:thumb:
Is that for CA cars only? I do not recall seeing that on my car:idea:

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is all emission stuff that if you don't have cats
I thought that was the fuel vapor recover system? Has nothing to do with cats...

Cats are now self contained - no "fog pump" anymore to squeak and then seize up at inopportune moments like the old car...

98lbs huh? I was eyeballing that on the track car - might have to pull it off once I get everything else done - which at this rate will be 2036:idea:

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Uhhhh...Is this safe to remove? What exactly is it anyway? IMO, please...someone find out so I can get that shit off my car asap!!!! 100lb's!!!!!

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Uhhhh...Is this safe to remove? What exactly is it anyway? IMO, please...someone find out so I can get that shit off my car asap!!!! 100lb's!!!!!
It is designed to trap the vapor from your gas tank when it heats up while off and running and prevent raw fuel from venting to the atmosphere...

Provided, you have provisioned for some means of your otherwise sealed tank to vent when the gas expands, it is there for emissions purposes not safety purposes, but if you just cap it off, I would imagine you could create an unpleasant situation in the form of an over-pressurized gas tank on a warm day which could, in theory, get explosive.

There is also the matter that you need to seal off any vacuum hoses to this area and make sure the sensors are happy - otherwise you will throw codes...

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=7&viewfile=Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Systems.pdf

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Naaa... EPA banned lead in gas a long time ago. I'm guessing mercury.
They banned that too - don't you remember that horrible movie about the monster near the logging river from the early 80's?

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Thanks Dave - that's it.

Thanks Cekim - I was just using the 'cats' reference to mean if you're not emission legal anyway but you are correct (as usual...:beer:)

John - you most certainly do have it all on your car...:beerdrink:

Everyone - yep - I was pretty shocked myself. Looking at it, you'd think maybe 10-15 lbs. If cut it all down and take it off, mark my words and BE READY cause it's heavier than it looks. The guy who told me about it (Evan) tried to one hand it when he removed his and it fell on his head and split his forehead open (sorry for telling evan...lol)

Thankfully, he warned me so I was ready for it. There's some more stuff that was shockingly heavy that came off and I'll get some more pics and info Friday when I go back to work. I had to hold up on the rear end going back in cause I just noticed I still have the stock bushing on the upper CA mount. Not good for the torque I am pushing so I'm getting a spherical bearing to put in there from BMR tomorrow and will put the rear back in on Thursday.

I'll keep you guys updated as it goes along cause there is some other 'tricks' that I have been taught that are really cool for those of you who love the tracks. One 'trick' I just learned is a way to remove all the exhaust heat that goes into your blower at idle and trick the computer to think you haven't changed anything for the sensor. Pretty neat and reduces a lot of blower heat while your in the lanes at idle...:idea:

I feel like I'm at school during this build, learning a lot, and having a lot of fun. GAS is allowing me to help along with the build and work with me as a team member which is pretty awesome. Anything considered for the car is discussed amoung the 5 guys working on it and all input and ideas are investigated. It's actually a lot of 'FUN' for the first time in a long time. :clap:

Mark

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back