GT500 build / continuation

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
I've had my 08 vapor GT500 since August of 2008. Being a firm believer of more is never enough, it didn't take long to start modding. I have already done quiet a bit on the car and never posted anything about it. Mostly I don't want to seem like I'm bragging or cocky or anything. For the last year I hadn't been able to do anything. Reading other people's build threads have really helped me get thru the last year without being able to do any mods of my own. Yesturday was my birthday, and as a present to me I decided to get some more goodies. This time I took some pictures so I could post a little thread to help others the way I got help.

Also want to throw in that this is my daily driver! Everything here was done in one day to minimize down-time.
My Baby...
thumb_2288342904.jpg

Pre-Yesturday Mods:​

SHOW:
Stealth Black FR500s 18x9, 18x10
BFG KDWs 275 front, 295 rears
True Forged Billet Hood Vents (Powdercoated Black)
15% Tint all around
Blacked Out Signals all around (front turns, rear side, tails, and 3rd brake)
Matte Black AC vents & Door Handles
Suede Headliner and Sun Visors
Project 321 Black & Carbon Fiber Engine Caps
Bangastang 1-piece Carbon Fiber Radiator Cover
American Muscle Hood Struts​

GO:
Whipple 2.9L Supercharger
L&M twin 66MM Throttle Body
3.25" Pulley ~ 18lbs boost
Whipple 123MM CAI
Ford KR Short Throw Shifter
3.73 Rear Gears
J&M Lower Control Arms
J&M Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets
J&M Upper Control Arm
Ford Racing FR3 Suspension Package consisting of:
Lowering Springs
Anti-Roll Bar Kit
Tokico Adjustable Front Dampers
Tokico Rear Dampers​
M-H "The Tank" Heat Exchanger / Radiator Expansion Tank (w/ large intercooler cap for ice) <- also looks good
Ford Racing Borla Stinger Cat-Back
NGK TR6 plugs

Started with blacking out the snakes while waiting for my boxes of goodies:
thumb_2288343104.jpg

Started wih new rotors front and rear, as well as Hawk Performance Ceramic Pads
thumb_2288343204.jpg

AFCO Dual Pass Heat Exchanger with Dual Puller Fans
thumb_2288343404.jpg

before:
thumb_2288343304.jpg

After:
thumb_2288343504.jpg

thumb_2288343904.jpg

Last edited:

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
Bosch 72lb Injectors
thumb_2288343604.jpg

SLP Line Lock Kit
thumb_2288344104.jpg

MRT Off Road H-Pipe
yhst-3989196333214_2169_10829852

(sorry for the stock photo, lost the one I took...will take another when the caster/camber plates go in)​

Also threw in an Optima Red Top Battery.​

Still on the list are:
Shelby Caster/Camber Plates (made by maximum motorsports)
Kenne Bell Dual Boost A Pump
(both arrived later than expected)​

Also being worked...placing switches in the overhead light console. One to control the line lock, and the other one will turn on the intercooler pump and heat exchanger fans (even with the car off).​

Finally, I have a center console for a 10+ Mustang. Going to see if I can modify it to fit into my 08 and look factory. If so, I'm going to try to adapt the traction control button to work the line locks, and the hazard button to work the fans/pump. Will post more pictures as everything gets finished. Planning to have it all done by next weekend! Also included with by a DYNO session.​

Last time I put slightly over 650 RWHP with similar RWTQ. Was told the limiting factor was that I was still running factory fuel injectors, factory fuel pump, and factory heat exchanger. Problems solved. We'll see what magic the Man, the Myth, the Legend, Jon Lund can work for me.​

thumb_2288344304.jpg

thumb_2288344404.jpg

Last edited:

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
So, got the call yesturday...."hey, we have to hit the dyno today...we have a 4 hour window." Roger that...and off we went.
Sorry for the pics, were taken with a cell phone. Videos will be up later tonight!

picture.php

picture.php

By 2,250 RPM there is 500RWTQ...

Last edited:

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry if it looks like the posts are editing several times. Everytime I think I have it good to go and post, I see something I missed or forgot and have to go back and add it in.

Short term memory loss...comes with the territory of the job. :beerchug2:

1 Alibi 2

If not today, when ??????
Reaction score
Nice build, long list of mods, didn't see long tubes ? What rpm did your 650rwhp happen @ ?
.........................Looking forward to your next dyno.
I have just ( 1 ) mod so far, but like you, it's a work in progress !

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
Nope, no long tubes yet... Having a hard time justifying $1000+ for them. I'll get them eventually.

As for the RPM, I'd have to look at the sheet to find out, it was last summer and I don't remember. But I'll be going back, this week I think, to update the tune. I'll post up a copy of it.

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
Actually it was done in about 5 hours. My buddy owns his own garage (business), so let me get use of his lift, as well as him and an employee.

Brakes, rotors, heat exchanger, line lock kit, and injectors....as well as throwing in the initial tune. All and all I think we did good. Next time we're doing caster/cambers and BAP. Then an alignment and off to the dyno.

Thanks for all the love guys!! I love my car...like I said, just wanted to share for those who want/need it.

Synister500

Reaction score
Looking good man! I'll need to keep up with your's too! I'll say this about getting headers, the install isn't that bad and if you have access to a lift you can do it in a day. I did mine in 2 on my back in my garage. I used 1 7/8" kooks. They are a tight fit, dip stick tube is a bitch, but IMO they are well worth the money at this point. With the stock blower there is a little gain but with the Whipple and 18 psi you will see them get you at or just over the 700 rwhp mark with a little more aggressive dyno tune like Lund said. Also love the blacked out emblems, did you plasti dip them or paint? I may do that this week!

BJ

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
I went the paint option. I figured it would be a little stronger. Ordered a replacement set of side GT500 emblems online. Prepped them with some 1000 grit sandpaper. Put some degreaser on a small rag and wiped them down to get everything off.

First I sprayed them with Dupli-Color Adhesion Promoter. It's clear, but acts like primer, filling any scratches and helping the paint stick better. Next I sprayed them with some rattle can flat black paint I got from Advanced Auto. It's made for vehicles so it's a little stronger/more durable. Gave it three good coats. Color looked nice and solid, had a little texture to it from close up, just what I wanted. Finally I sprayed three coats of a flat clear coat. It's flat so it kept the flat black looking the same, and the clear coat will help from anything hitting it, as well as from uv/sun rays on the color.

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
I was thinking Kook 1 3/4 primaries...

Right now I'm having to go back into save up mode before my next round of mods... This round was more the increase the efficiency of the car as opposed to increasing HP. I'm pretty happy with the HP level right now. My biggest concern is that I want to be able to continue daily driving it! I know I can still do more and get that, I just don't want to go so far as to where I can't drive it cross country if I wanted.

I also really want to do cams, and get the lopey sound. I want them more for sound than performance, but they'll give me HP too.

twisted_GT500

forum member
Reaction score
If I won the lottery or something....my wish list would include:

2011+ GT500 block, bored and sleeved to 5.8L
2011+ GT500 computer
2011+ GT500 electric steering
Twin turbo setup with custom intake

Also check out the dyno update!!

Towelly

forum member
Reaction score
Any problems with the FR500's clearing the brembo's ? Where did you get them?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back