Variable compression engine

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Agree with you 110%, there are definitely mileages in mind where they would rather have the vehicles crapped.

The electric car thing will help us with this. Less crazy archaic bs... I mean seriously, crankshafts, we're barely out of the steam era here....

Tesla just announced today, they have a battery that is good for 315 miles. That's a new record for battery cars. These new style solar panels built + sold in Ontario are good for 250w, typ 10-20 are used....strung in series. 40 lbs each, aprx 39" x 62".

I notice the local hybrid taxi cabs put 75,000 miles per year on their vehicles. Oil change every 3-4 weeks. Some are well > 400,000 miles, with zero issues. Odd battery replaced. Around town, they consume 1/2 the gas of my 2011 Fusion, 2.5L...and 1/4 the gas used on my 2010 GT.

The 1st gen F1 hybrid cars had an extra 80 hp on tap for 5-6 secs. Then the battery capacity increased 10X. Now they are 160 hp for 30 secs.

Anybody watched any of the new Formulae E series races ? 100% electric. The drivers' swap cars 1/2 way through the race.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Agree with you 110%, there are definitely mileages in mind where they would rather have the vehicles crapped.

The electric car thing will help us with this. Less crazy archaic bs... I mean seriously, crankshafts, we're barely out of the steam era here....

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/23/technology/tesla-product-announcement/index.html 0-60 mph in 2.5 secs. That's now the fastest production car in the world...and it's electric. Max tq @ 0 rpm. The last bunch of local ferries built use a pair of diesel's, flipped 180 degs, to drive a pair of generator's out in front, and both elevated, that runs a pair of electric motor's below em. Fuel eff, and loads of power..they are fast...sorta a ship version of a diesel electric train.

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've talked to service managers at 2 local dealerships, and they've seen no issues with Ecoboost heads. Or so they claim.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
Just rolled 57k on our 2.0 Ecoboost Fusion. I haven't seen any performance drop or mileage drop (other than when my leadfoot wife drives it). I use only 91 octane branded (Shell usually) gasoline, so maybe that has a lot to do with it. I also use a high quality synthetic oil. I'm willing to be a lot of the issues are from crap, cheap fuel, and extended crap oil changes. I refuse to believe that during development of the engine line that not one person at Ford said "Hey, think we should run these out to 80,000 miles and see what it looks like?"

DesertStang06

forum member
Reaction score
Just rolled 57k on our 2.0 Ecoboost Fusion. I haven't seen any performance drop or mileage drop (other than when my leadfoot wife drives it). I use only 91 octane branded (Shell usually) gasoline, so maybe that has a lot to do with it. I also use a high quality synthetic oil. I'm willing to be a lot of the issues are from crap, cheap fuel, and extended crap oil changes. I refuse to believe that during development of the engine line that not one person at Ford said "Hey, think we should run these out to 80,000 miles and see what it looks like?"

I agree wholeheartedly.
Like I had said a few times.
I put the owner first.

Premium is about $.51 more than 86 here.
A lot of people don't run it.

The lines at the wal mart pumps are always packed seeing it's usually around $.10 less than average.

The engines I saw come through were caked with dirt.
Many times however, the interiors were very very clean.

There's little to no care here.
Granted we were always busy, couldn't complain about that.

I've shown people my engine bay, and they swore it was garage kept and a weekend toy.

It sits in the elements and rarely do I not drive it.
But I make it a point to spend a day once a month cleaning it.

I've no doubt Ford didn't put them through paces.
What are we talking about Chrysler or GM?
But they also did the basics when doing said endurance testing.

People generally only seem to care when something goes wrong.
They use quick lube or any other cheap place, using the cheapest oil, fuel, anything you can think of.

Then when it goes bad, they blamed us at the dealer...rather Ford.

So like I said, I'm not against these motors in the least.
Looking at my car vs a new one, mine seems ancient.

Rather my point was, based on what I've seen, and all the warranty work I've done.
I'm wary of them.

We all like ford. Or I doubt we'd be on this forum with such cars. But bottom line to them is profit.
Hence the influx of 3VIN cars (Mexico cars)
They can build it, sell it, and warranty it for so long.
But the market speaks for itself and cars are having shorter owner spans.
So Ford knows as much as you or I.
How many owners is this vehicle most likely going to have?
At some point the warranty will dry up
"Not our problem then"
But we'll still fix it for you later...at our prices.

Everyone is caught up in the "keeping up with the Jones's"

While I cannot speak for the rest of the country where you all reside.
I can tell you around here, aside from old timers, people here have a nasty tendency of running cars into the ground.

Also, there's a big tendency to take it to so and so, who "knows about cars"
So now you've the new systems being tinkered on by people who have little to no clue what's actually doing what.

Then after a few of these bargain mechanics, they'll finally bring em into Ford.
$500 dollar engine rebuilds, "no matter what make or engine" $400 paint jobs.
Or just hop down to Juarez or so and pay pennies on the dollar for repairs.
Seen and heard it all around here......

So yes, totally agree about owners vs the actual product.

Sorry about the rant.
It just pains me when a GT500 comes in, and the engine looks like it's been offroad.

DesertStang06

forum member
Reaction score
The big ones with the fusions were door locks, and the electronic power steering bolts.
Tore so many door panels apart replacing them.

Evap purge valve is a big one on most new Fords, as was swapping throttle bodies that were still nice and shiny. Actuators stuck a lot.
But all mentioned was fully covered under warranty, So kudos to em for accepting responsibility
One reason I took the job at GMC.
I'd rather stare at GMs shortcomings than Ford's

Fosters

forum member
Reaction score

I highly doubt the electric cars will fix that... hell, look at phones and planned obsolence in the electronics field...

Iphone 6s comes out... iphone 6 and 5 start having "issues" and flat out old models don't support new OSs. imagine how fast an old electric car will become worthless the moment a new battery technology becomes available that offers significant capacity per size difference...

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I highly doubt the electric cars will fix that... hell, look at phones and planned obsolence in the electronics field...

Iphone 6s comes out... iphone 6 and 5 start having "issues" and flat out old models don't support new OSs. imagine how fast an old electric car will become worthless the moment a new battery technology becomes available that offers significant capacity per size difference...

For a mere $20k, Tesla owners can upgrade to the new style battery. I believe you will see more and more hybrids coming out, and ditto with 100% electric cars.

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
Anybody watched any of the new Formulae E series races ? 100% electric. The drivers' swap cars 1/2 way through the race.

And therein lies the problem with all electric motors, the pit stop. You can't make a timely one, either on the track or street. I can't stand all this stupid hype of a very old invention.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
The big ones with the fusions were door locks, and the electronic power steering bolts.
Tore so many door panels apart replacing them.

Evap purge valve is a big one on most new Fords, as was swapping throttle bodies that were still nice and shiny. Actuators stuck a lot.
But all mentioned was fully covered under warranty, So kudos to em for accepting responsibility
One reason I took the job at GMC.
I'd rather stare at GMs shortcomings than Ford's

Door locks. Yep, I have three recalls on my Fusion that I need to get done. I just have to find time to be without the car.

DesertStang06

forum member
Reaction score
I don't recall the exact years.

I just always dreaded seeing the word Fusion and warranty on the same RO.

It was either the power steering or the doors.
Sometimes I was really lucky...it was both
Haha
And I'm not going to start with module replacements across the whole lineup.

Too many computers in cars these days IMO

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...k/ar-AAibSOP?li=BBnbcA1&srcref=rss&ocid=iehrs Latest craze is plug in hybrid cars. Read the last line....

" If Tesla can deliver on its current promises with the Model 3, says Mr. Fox, “gas vehicles are history—it’s horse and buggy days.”

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...k/ar-AAibSOP?li=BBnbcA1&srcref=rss&ocid=iehrs Latest craze is plug in hybrid cars. Read the last line....

" If Tesla can deliver on its current promises with the Model 3, says Mr. Fox, “gas vehicles are history—it’s horse and buggy days.”

Says the guy promoting an agenda. Tesla has very close control over what is written about their cars. Did you ever see the Top Gear where they were only getting a little over 100 miles on a car rated for 300?

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Says the guy promoting an agenda. Tesla has very close control over what is written about their cars. Did you ever see the Top Gear where they were only getting a little over 100 miles on a car rated for 300?

The 300+ mile battery tesla is just being released, so I doubt top gear tested anything remotely close to it. 99% of em out there are barely 100 miles..tops. Problems start when u toss in (A) electric rear window and side mirror defrosters, (B) headlights, daytime running lights, running lights, (C) electric heated seats (D) u gotta heat the inside of the car some how in cold wx. (E) defrosting the front windshield. (F) toss in stereo gear, and all other electronic devices.

Of course, their answer to all that is to pre-heat the inside of car b4 u unplug it.

saw on TV a few nights ago, the new tesla battery plant being built in the US, think it was Nmex or arizona. when completed it will be the largest building on the planet.... fn thing is huge..bigger than boeing.

Swiss built a car, completely covered in solar panels, every sq inch. Several hundred watts of power from that combo.

The writing is on the wall, but it all hinges on battery capacity, and reducing battery costs. Line you garage roof with the new type 250w solar panels, and then the costs will be reduced somewhat in the long term.

Hybrids have been around for a long time...now it's plug in hybrids, 100% electric vehicles, and more to come. 3-5 years from now, this will all be an eye opener. If oil prices increase, it will all accelerate..fast.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
The 300+ mile battery tesla is just being released, so I doubt top gear tested anything remotely close to it. 99% of em out there are barely 100 miles..tops. Problems start when u toss in (A) electric rear window and side mirror defrosters, (B) headlights, daytime running lights, running lights, (C) electric heated seats (D) u gotta heat the inside of the car some how in cold wx. (E) defrosting the front windshield. (F) toss in stereo gear, and all other electronic devices.

Heat is simple to solve. There's plenty waste heat that they can tap into. Air conditioning on the other hand that's a different story.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back