Nitto 555G2 Long Term Testing

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Virtually all of the online wheel revs/mile and speeds in gears calculators ignore the fact that tire treads compress slightly in the circumferential direction as they roll through contact with the ground. So they end up turning a few more times in a mile than what the math based only on tire dimensions predicts.

3% is a reasonable correction in most cases, though this tread compliance correction for a few tires is slightly less (~1.5% - 2%).

So if you were to calculate a tire as being 750 revs/mile, you're probably going to see mfr-tabulated numbers more like 770 or a bit more. Trust either the mfr or this correction.

The online calculators really are well-intentioned, and since this effect is not exactly common knowledge among enthusiasts I'm not blaming anybody for making this oversight.

Norm

Last edited:

JimC

Reaction score
Any noticeable wear after 5k miles? How many 32nd were they new and what are they at now?

After 7,500 miles I rotated them again. They started at 9/32 and yesterday it measured 8/32.

SD_Stang

Reaction score
I'm running 275/35/20's on 20x10's Square and the tires have a good amount of road noise at 40-45. It's rather annoying after 8,000 the noise is still there. I wouldn't recommend them for 20 inch they may be quiet for smaller sizes.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Per Nitto's website they make 285/35/20, but I don't see for sale anywhere?

I'm running 275/35/20's on 20x10's Square and the tires have a good amount of road noise at 40-45. It's rather annoying after 8,000 the noise is still there. I wouldn't recommend them for 20 inch they may be quiet for smaller sizes.

Have you run other 20's in that size as comparison?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back