Am wheels

Mustang dog

forum member
Reaction score
I have a slight vibration on my steering wheel around 60mph. It is very noticeable when I remove my hands from the wheel, while driving
07 mustang GT, staggered 18" bullitts on MT's(new this summer). Brand new BMR/Koni,suspension, new frp strut mounts,and front LCA's.lowered 1.5" all round, this summer as well.

I'm pretty sure it's the wheels or tires, kind of a pain as I live in Canada and had these shipped here this summer, so off to my local tire shop to look at a rebalance, and to have the wheels checked for true.

Anybody else with this, or suggestions?

D

MechE

forum member
Reaction score
Definitely check balance. My shake went away with strut replacement. I'm sure there are other likely causes but I've read Koni's don't like a big drop. Think it is possible they are blown already?

Did everything go on at the same time? How many miles on the combo?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
I received a set of FR500 knock offs for my 05 years ago. Had a terrible time balancing them. Turned out they were way out of round and had massive runout. I verified the inside and outside runout (side-side movement during rotation) and the inside was way off compared to the outside. The roundness (circumference) was also way out. Contacted the maker and gave them the numbers and they sent me a new wheel. Tire shop balanced that tire like it was a breeze.

Knock off wheels will be a little less quality than a factory wheel or a $600+ Vossen. You get what you pay for. How they are balanced and the length to which the person balancing them goes to make them accurate as possible plays a lot as well. I have one person who does my balancing locally. Her name is Emily at Tire Discounters in Cincinnati. She is very attention to detail oriented. Hitting zeros on the balancer is a game for her. She takes her job seriously.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Road Force balance them

Mustang dog

forum member
Reaction score
Definitely check balance. My shake went away with strut replacement. I'm sure there are other likely causes but I've read Koni's don't like a big drop. Think it is possible they are blown already?

Did everything go on at the same time? How many miles on the combo?

Maybe, 2000 miles tops. It's my weekend car. I had Dylan/BMR set my kit up. The only item that isn't purchased from BMR is the wheels, and the Ford racing, LCA's and strut mounts From Ford, authorized dealer.

The last piece of the install was the wheel combo, that is when I noticed it, I don't highway drive much mostly cruising. It's not a deal breaker , I'll hunt out a good tire guy up here and go from there. The fact that it is a vibration and not worse is fine for me.

D

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
^^^ Yeah, that's what I was thinking! Even my local Wal-Mart tire shop does road force balancing.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
When companies like AM, Tire Rack, Discount Tire Direct, etc. receive their tires in bulk from the manufacturers they are bound on pallets with banding material. Sometimes they are bound so tight it distorts the steel belts right at the side wall. Sometimes it's permanent, sometimes not. You will have to do a runout and roundness test. If the tire is out of round, most cases it needs to be replaced, but as said earlier this could be caused by an out of round wheel. Usually (in my experience) runout is caused by a warped wheel. Now here's the part about the belts. I have found if the tire was bound too tight in packing that when you do the OoR test you will see a small intention at the spot where the strap was across it. This will cause a vibration.
At this point contact your tire/wheel supplier.

Sent from iPhone

noldevin

forum member
Reaction score
Before you assume its a bad tire or wheel, get them rebalanced and try using a hub centering ring. Some cheap wheels are not perfectly hub centric and need hub centric rings to keep them centered.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back