LSD swap question

DPE

forum member
Reaction score
I've got a 2014 GT with a rear axle seal leaking when it's on track or driven aggressively. Hence, need to at least get new seals on it. May have the dealer do it under warranty, but had some thoughts of swapping the Trac-Lock out for an Eaton Trutrac or a Torsen. Mine is a Brembo GT with a 3.31, not a Track Pack.

The question is, if I were to just take this on myself to fix the seal and swap the LSD, does one need to adjust backlash etc. if the same ring gear is going back in? I understand I need to pull out the diff and swap the ring gear onto the new LSD, but does it just bolt back up and work fine or does one need to plan on doing some measuring and adjusting? I ask because I'm sure I can manage pulling it all out and putting it all back in, but I know there's somewhat of an art to setting up the rear end correctly when doing a new ring and pinion and wasn't sure if that process applied when using the same ring and pinion but swapping the LSD.

JimC

Reaction score
Are you sure it is a leaking seal? The vent will spew fluid when you drive aggressively.

DPE

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, it's spraying around the inside of my left rear wheel. I have the Boss diff cover with the axle vent up high and the normal axle vent hole on the log plugged, so I've got that issue covered.

JimC

Reaction score
Got it, most people don't have that set up and assume that they have a leak it seems. Can't help you on the set up when you make the change, never done it myself.

DPE

forum member
Reaction score
Spoke with a Ford tech, and it sounds like you do have to shim it appropriately for backlash, but shouldn't have to mess with pinion depth or do the marking deal on the teeth etc. He also said they could do my axle seal under warranty, and then for an extra $350 throw in whatever LSD I bring them to put in, so going to order an Eaton Trutrac and just let them handle it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back