What have you done to your house today

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
it's real marble. I should have the tiling done today (if I get right to it after work, and the saw cooperates).

Then i'll start grouting soon.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
No woodpeckers attacking my house but I have been battling the wood boring bees which like to bore into the cedar trim. I keep filling their holes with pesticide and then caulking/painting over them. Haven't had any new holes in the last 4-5 months.

Those are around but less frequent, I like seeing some of the animals but they can be jerks. Carpenter ants (not like seeing), mice, the squirrels chewing the trim on my garage door, the wood peckers on the sides of house which isn't just my house bunch in the neighborhood.

Ants exterminator, mice traps, squirrels I tried marking my territory haha, and the woodpeckers filled the holes and put up these streamers.. I hope I don't have to get more aggressive than that.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Those are around but less frequent, I like seeing some of the animals but they can be jerks. Carpenter ants (not like seeing), mice, the squirrels chewing the trim on my garage door, the wood peckers on the sides of house which isn't just my house bunch in the neighborhood.

Ants exterminator, mice traps, squirrels I tried marking my territory haha, and the woodpeckers filled the holes and put up these streamers.. I hope I don't have to get more aggressive than that.

I tried trapping and relocating the squirrels around my place but come to find out I'm breaking the law by trapping and relocating a wild animal.

It isn't against the law to kill them so, kill them I do, pretty regularly too. This is a typical Saturday mornings take while drinking my coffee and catching up on the news with my tablet and air rifle. I get 25-30 of the little pests each year.

Shaggy

Head PooBaa of the Asylum
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I tried trapping and relocating the squirrels around my place but come to find out I'm breaking the law by trapping and relocating a wild animal.

It isn't against the law to kill them so, kill them I do, pretty regularly too. This is a typical Saturday mornings take while drinking my coffee and catching up on the news with my tablet and air rifle. I get 25-30 of the little pests each year.

Been curious when Gabe posted about killing them. How are the pests? I always thought they stuck to the trees. The ground squirrels we have in AZ aren't really pests. They just dig holes in the dirt.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Been curious when Gabe posted about killing them. How are the pests? I always thought they stuck to the trees. The ground squirrels we have in AZ aren't really pests. They just dig holes in the dirt.

Me?
I never killed any squirrels.

I gave some chipmunks and some voles their last drink of water, but never squirrels.

I do have a mole or something else quite a bit larger than a chipmunk burrowing through some of my flower beds though ... I'm gonna have to kill that thing with something more than just water

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score

I can handle the ground holes, and chewing off branches for acorns even though there are 12billion already on ground, and knocking over flower pots.. but they're chewing on garage door trim. Causing damage to the house not so cool
2T3JRj1.jpg

ZRncMNC.jpg

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
Squirrels are about the dumbest creature out there, I've had them get on the roof and crawl into the gutter down spouts only to not be able to get back up. They make one hell of a racket trying to get out, I leave them in there for several days and pull their dead bodies out. I've had them push through the chimney screen at the top and come down the chimney flue to the fire box. Only way to get them at that point is to set a trap with plywood around it so they have to go into the trap to get out of the fire box. The first couple I let go, after it became more frequent, I'd take the trap outside and put it into the pond to drown them. They would get into the shed by gnawing a hole in the PVC roof and chew on anything plastic, especially lawn equipment plastic. Several air cleaner shrouds, gas caps, gas tanks, mower seats, etc have been ruined by these little shits.

After I proactively started killing them, all of these problems went away.

A neighbor down the street had them in his attic and didn't see any harm in them being there until the stench of a new litter that didn't survive and urine/feces started impregnating his home. He spent upwards of $15K to have his attic cleaned, insulation removed/replaced and all the bedroom ceiling sheet rock replaced. He borrowed my air rifle and later bought his own to dispatch those around his home.

One thing that's amazing is no matter how many I dispatch, there seems to be an endless supply of them replacing those that disappear.

Not having any natural predators, they multiply quickly and then their large numbers just seem to create havoc in the surrounding area.

Shaggy

Head PooBaa of the Asylum
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, I never knew they were that much of a pest. They act some much different then the ground squires here in AZ.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Wow, I never knew they were that much of a pest. They act some much different then the ground squires here in AZ.

I have at least a dozen, and I think it's one jerk doing the damage. Last summer my parents lived with me for few months while we redid their new house, my father was feeding them.. basically had them taking from my hand but I cut that out when they'd be staring in the windows looking for me. I was afraid they'd try to get in the house.

Now that this year the hawks didn't mate/nest in the yard there are chipmunks everywhere too, digging burrows in the ground and wall.. Wednesday I had boiler service so hose was run out the basement door. F'n chipmunk tried to come in, luckily I was standing there at that exact moment.

Why can't the animals just be chill? :insane:

Rasmus

forum member
Reaction score
Not having any natural predators, they multiply quickly and then their large numbers just seem to create havoc in the surrounding area.

I have had a red tailed hawk nest in the back yard since it was young. I don't see as many squirrels as I used to.

oldVOR

forum member
Reaction score
I have at least a dozen, and I think it's one jerk doing the damage.

They learn from each other fairly quickly on where and how to find food and/or shelter. If you've got one jerk, they will all soon follow in his steps as they "see" an easy way to do things. Kill the little pieces of shit!

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
I think the streamers are working for the woodpeckers, I used them on both sides of the house where they were doing damage.. now I'm pretty sure they moved to the front & back where they hadnt been before but are not streamers. UGH!

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Got a few Halloween decorations up.
Also, my first attempt ever at gory make-up, I used markers on a few styrofoam heads, which are staring out the living room bay window:

20161028_005.jpg

20161028_004.jpg

Also used a template on a 4'x8' piece of plywood and using my jigsaw, I cut out a witch outline, which I then painted black and made a rear support system so she'll stand on the front lawn without falling over:

20161024_witch.jpg

20161026_002.jpg

The witch has a broom in her hand, and she's stirring the "bone soup" in a caldron.

Also, more bones and skulls by the front door:

20161026_001a.jpg

Not a crazy amount of decoration, and unfortunately no pumpkins this year, but a big improvement over last year.
Hopefully next year we can do much better.

Shotokan1509

forum member
Reaction score
Cooler weather I've been working on splitting all this wood. I actually broke the ax head though
21kHXU3.jpg

KiaFIK6.jpg

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back