2011 GT "Not Ready" For Emissions

Beatnik Fink

forum member
Reaction score
So I have had my Mustang for a year now and it is time for my first go around with emissions. What a fiasco this has been.

The first time I went to try and do emissions it came up as not ready which I wrote off as bad timing as I had just installed the Boss 302 intake a week before and had it retuned. So I tried to complete the drive cycle to get everything to read and went back for it to still read not ready. When I hooked up a friend's diagnostic equipment it showed no data from the O2 sensors. With the cats and O2 sensors being a year old and installed by the dealer I bought the car from I assumed it was a tuning issue. Send off for a new tune, reprogram, and test and now the O2 sensors are giving readings. Try and do the drive cycle again go and test again only for it to still be showing not ready.

Now my tags are expired and I don't know what to do. :helpme:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did u follow the driving cycle in the manual?

Are only the O2s giving not ready error?

Beatnik Fink

forum member
Reaction score
I don't have the manual so I don't know what it suggests. I've tried the generic drive cycle the DMV gave me and I've tried one that my chassis tech friend printed off for me. He got it from some site he subscribes to with the VIN of my car.

The O2 sensors and the cats are both reading not ready

Beatnik Fink

forum member
Reaction score
His print out is very similar to the one you provided.

On his scanner it shows O2 B1 (Data) O2 B2 (Data) I asked in my tune request that it read all sensors and cats since I was having trouble. Before it was just showing O2 B1 _ _ _ O2 B2 _ _ _

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
It can be very difficult to get the codes to read ready on these new cars. But first you need to make sure the rear o2's are even on.

Last edited:

46addict

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. Which PID monitors O2 sensors in the context of OBD readiness? I don't think the EVAP monitors are adjusted at all in custom tunes, so I would think the issue points to O2 readiness.

Is it just rear O2 voltage that needs to be picked up by the PCM for it to show ready? Wouldn't a car with high flow cats or an O/R midpipe automatically fail if the rear O2s are on due to the CEL being triggered?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you have an off-road pipe, the rear O2s would be turned OFF in the tune to prevent a check-engine light, and that would cause your OBD to show "not ready."

46addict

Reaction score
I've gotten a different car with rear o2s off to show "ready" but apparently not on the car I have now. Is there anything else that is monitored?

If worst comes to worst I guess I'll have to turn the rear o2s back on and try my luck with spark plug non foulers.

Beatnik Fink

forum member
Reaction score
Ok. So even though I asked for the sensors to be turned on and I was getting readings they didn't turn on the readiness monitors? When I asked why they said that if they did I would get check engine lights. But I don't have an off road X pipe so I don't understand that. Anyway I drove the car following the drive cycle shared by stkjock and it finally came on as ready. Tested it and it passed. Also I got no check engine lights so I'm just going to keep running that tune.

I will say that despite the problems getting the right tune written that Andrew at Bama really helped out once I called and explained what was going on. Within a half hour from calling I had everything squared away.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Cool deal that it's figured out.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back