O2 sensor issue

aa5oh

Reaction score
So i have had this issue for a while now. I am constantly changing my upstream o2 sensors, its either the drivers side or passenger, no extensions. I have checked all vacuum lines, intake gaskets, spark plugs everything checks out. The mods i have are BBk chrome LT's, BBK shorty pipe, Boss 302 intake manifold, C&L cold air intake, and a bama tune.

This has been a constant headache and i need some help. I have wasted hundreds of dollars just on sensors. I feel terrible about the money Ive wasted so far. Has anyone heard of BBk LTs causing lean issues? So tired of this issue.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Have u logged and had Bama review? First guess would be a tune issue.

JLear

2014 GT
Reaction score
I've had the same issue and pretty sure the cause is the o2 bung placement and moisture. I replaced several and after some research learned that either bending or relocating the bungs, wrapping the collector, and drilling a very small weep hole at the lowest point in the collector or mid pipe seems to help with the moisture. Since doing those things I also replaced both sensors with the NTK brand, so for so good.

aa5oh

Reaction score
The codes i have now are P2254 and P0050. ive had these codes for a couple of months now .The code is only showing the drivers side. Ordered a new O2 sensor going to install it on Tuesday and see what happens.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
The codes i have now are P2254 and P0050. ive had these codes for a couple of months now .The code is only showing the drivers side. Ordered a new O2 sensor going to install it on Tuesday and see what happens.

Strong possibility of a a tune concern. Also what brand sensors are you ordering?

travelers

Reaction score
Check the plugs color. Dark color will mean rich and you'll need to do a data log and send it to AM

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
It's mostly likely due to the o2 placement on the longtubes. Moisture gets in and has nowhere to go thus cracking them. Happened with my ARH longtubes. They are at the 3:00 and 9:00 position and need to be relocated to the 10:00 and 2:00 position. That's why the Kooks midlengths work so well.

aa5oh

Reaction score
So i have finally replaced the faulty drivers side o2 sensor and one code has not show up after 100 miles of driving. It was the lean code P2254 I figured i fixed a vacuum leak because i had replaced all vacuum line clamps because three of them did not tighten properly. Thank god thats squared away.

Sadly the other code P0050 popped up i called up Bama performance and they say its a faulty wire from the o2 sensor harness. I had broken the clip on the harness accidentally prior to this installation. So the o2 sensor now is connected to the harness only by suction.

What do you guys think? For now i do not believe that the BBK headers are the issue just the wiring.

irock

Reaction score
Long story short, call BAMA and demand an old non-V2 tune. This may not be your solution but it's something easy to try.

I had a very similar issue except without long tubes but with a BAMA V2 tune. Check if you are actually getting a reading from the O2 sensors on a scanner. If you aren't, you need to put a non-v2 tune on your car. I dealt with this for a few months and every time I called BAMA I got a different answer. Returning to stock was the only thing they could tell me to do and I am not changing back to stock every time my car needs to pass inspection that is ludicrous. I eventually just tried putting on an old tune I had and lo and behold it worked, I could read the front O2s and it cleared the code.

aa5oh

Reaction score
Did you even read anything I posted or just gloss over it?

Of course I did Im thankful for any advice anyone on this forum has to offer.

I just got back from my mechanics shop and mentioned your idea as solution. We took a closer look at the o2 sensors wiring harness, and found that some parts of the wiring had been burned were replacing the wiring this weekend. Hopefully all goes well.

Long story short, call BAMA and demand an old non-V2 tune. This may not be your solution but it's something easy to try.

I had a very similar issue except without long tubes but with a BAMA V2 tune. Check if you are actually getting a reading from the O2 sensors on a scanner. If you aren't, you need to put a non-v2 tune on your car. I dealt with this for a few months and every time I called BAMA I got a different answer. Returning to stock was the only thing they could tell me to do and I am not changing back to stock every time my car needs to pass inspection that is ludicrous. I eventually just tried putting on an old tune I had and lo and behold it worked, I could read the front O2s and it cleared the code.

I had considered the tune to be an issue, but sadly it wasn't. i have a dyne tune from a local tuner and i was still receiving the same code. This why i had also considered the o2 harneses wiring to be the issue. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back