Continental Extreme Contact: How do they hold up?

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
I'd like to get some feedback from people who have owned these tires for an extended period of time. I already know they will be great when I put them on. I've had lots of different tires and most of them were great at first. But many of them deteriorated quickly after a year or so.

I'd like to find out if these tires will still handle well when they are 2 years old and have 10-12K miles on them.

spectreman

forum member
Reaction score
I was debating between them and the Michelin Pilot Super Sports for my GT500; price diff was about $100, Mich being higher. I went w/them because of my positive experiences w/Mich on both car & bike but by all reports, the Conti's are great tires.
Lee

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
read tons of great reviews on the Conti Extreme, high mileage good hp cars. Ended up going with the Nitto Invo instead though. They ran great on my wife's M3 and i'll admit it .... i liked the tread pattern better, lol

fast Ed

forum member
Reaction score
Extreme Contact DW is a nice tire that stands up well, had them on my 07. Even did some laps on them when I didn't bolt on the dedicated track day setup. Compared to some other max performance tires the sidewalls are a bit softer so the steering response might not be quite as sharp, but I thought they were fine. Upside is a great ride on the street, and they are outstanding in wet conditions.

Be aware that they are being discontinued and will be replaced with a new version in the spring of 2017, that's why there are deals around on them now. Maybe buy 5 if the budget allows to keep one as a backup.

cheers
Ed

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Brian,

If these are the same tires your asking about ???

ExtremeContact DW

I ran those for many years on the Bullitt.
I also raced with them (Myself) many-many times and they did great for street tires even on a semi slick drag-strip in Lufkin, TX.

They handle great and do very-very well on wet roads.

They are also a quiet tire.

I recently changed from running the M/T Street Comp tires to the Continental DWS06 tires for driving year round.

T.

Thenorm

Autocrosser
Reaction score
the DW is MAGIC on wet roads. they seriously defy the laws of physics. Autocrosser use them as the go-to rain race tire. you almost can drive as if the roads were dry.
they are a bit soft in the sidewall.
they are ok in the dry. not as good as many other extreme performance summer tires. good for a DD. not so good to race on (Except in the wet as noted above).

DWS is similar. soft in the sidewall. great in wet, less in dry. people report decent in light snow.

I wouldnt hesitate to buy either again.

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yes, you will still be happy with them in 2 years, so long as you don't bolt on another blower.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Like Spectreman I'm debating between the Contis and the Michelin Super Sports. I don't expect 30K miles and wouldn't buy a tire with that high of a wear rating. I'm looking for a tire I can put on my car and drive aggressively on the street without the car getting away from me or spinning every time I press the gas pedal. I'd also prefer having a tire that still grips until it is almost worn out.

My mechanic prefers Michelins but the last time his wife ordered me the Pilot Sport A/S instead of the Super Sport. I'm sorely disappointed by those tires. First time I've ever had a tire that will spin if you look at the gas pedal wrong but it never squeals. Absolutely dead silent when spinning.

BMR Tech 2

Kelly's Replacement Lackey
Reaction score
Get the Conti DWs (Not the DWS)! I LOVED those tires. I had them when the car was still a 3V and they stuck like glue no matter what. Rain or shine (even FL rain), they were awesome. They lasted about 30k miles too.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Get the Conti DWs (Not the DWS)! I LOVED those tires. I had them when the car was still a 3V and they stuck like glue no matter what. Rain or shine (even FL rain), they were awesome. They lasted about 30k miles too.

Nothing wrong with the DWS, but it is more of an all season tire. You'll get more grip out the DW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Like Spectreman I'm debating between the Contis and the Michelin Super Sports. I don't expect 30K miles and wouldn't buy a tire with that high of a wear rating. I'm looking for a tire I can put on my car and drive aggressively on the street without the car getting away from me or spinning every time I press the gas pedal. I'd also prefer having a tire that still grips until it is almost worn out.
Time was when I wouldn't have looked at 300-treadwear tires either. But the MPSS is considerably grippier than what 300-TW has indicated in the past. While there are stickier street tires (BFG Rival, Hankook RS-3, etc.), none of those will be able to match the MPSS for lifespan. The MPSS is an alternative "go-to" rain tire (more on this later).

I've datalogged as high as 0.9-ish lateral g's in a street(ish) setting, and consistently over 1.2g on the track. Fully warmed up, they'll pick up the little pebbles driving through paddock, almost as bad as a drag radial.

↓↓↓ MPSS 285/35-18, 4000+ street miles plus 10 track days (another 1200 miles or so of greatly accelerated abuse) . . . still only around 40% worn. 30k in anywhere near normal street driving should be easy, less than 15k almost impossible as long as the steering & suspension systems are in decent shape.

picture.php

In the rain . . . in particular watch from 11:00 to the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6brVFxPSPw

Norm

Last edited:

Shitentenemusu

Reaction score
i recently switched from original p-zero's to Continental Extreme Contact DW 285/40/18 for my 18x10 square setup and i cant be more satisfied. I'm was used to seeing the DW in 245/35/21 and 265/35/21, but with the little extra sidewall and width, the 285/40 tires look and feel good!

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
I've been running them now for about 6 months and yeah I have to say they are the best tires I've ever had. It was a night and day difference coming from the BFG R1's as far as ride quality. Far superior to the Nitto's I had as well. They are the #1 rated tire on tire on every website I've seen.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Why not consider the Nitto 555 G2 as well?
I have them on my front 20's and love them.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I think the Nittor 555 G2 is a great tire, but for some reason I don't think it will be as good as the MPSS. Its a different league price wise, the 555 was always meant to be an affordable option for mustang and camaro type cars, not king of the hill.

46addict

Reaction score
^Agreed. I've tried the first gen 555s on a road course and the 555Rs for the drag strip, and they both left some to be desired. I do believe they've closed the gap with the NT01/05 line and have heard good things about the Invos.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back