NEED HELP Blown Motor? turns slowly when cranked, no metal in oil, won't fire

tooslowfiveo

Reaction score
Hello,
I have recently picked up a Saleen S302PJ with the saleen stroker kit factory installed. The car will crank over very slowly/poorly when a new battery is installed, and upon draining the oil there were no metal shavings whatsoever. Could this be a stuck item on the accessory drive/bad starter or something internal and much worse? Any help greatly appreciated.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
try removing plugs, take off belt and turn it by hand, see if theres a lot of resistance or not.

can check other belt drive stuff to see if its slowing it by hand while your there

2526Bullitt

forum member
Reaction score
Could be starter.....take it off and then take it to Autozone or O'Reillys i believe they could test it. You might want to check on the battery too, you might have drained it if you have been cranking it for a while.

Definitely do what wes06 just mentioned...

Last edited by a moderator:

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have recently picked up a Saleen S302PJ with the saleen stroker kit factory installed. The car will crank over very slowly/poorly when a new battery is installed, and upon draining the oil there were no metal shavings whatsoever. Could this be a stuck item on the accessory drive/bad starter or something internal and much worse? Any help greatly appreciated.
Was the battery charged prior to it being intalled?
Was the car running when you purchased it?
Did you do anything stupid with the car?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Hello,

It could be a lot of things.

Can you provide more info? Like did it suddenly stop working? Did you purchase it like this? History of the car.

Things like that.

tooslowfiveo

Reaction score
Might have it figured out- will keep you guys updated but things are busy right now so I won't have too much time to work on it.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
The car will crank over very slowly/poorly when a new battery is installed, and upon draining the oil there were no metal shavings whatsoever. Could this be a stuck item on the accessory drive/bad starter or something internal and much worse? Any help greatly appreciated.

This should be easy to diagnose. If you can manually turn the engine easily with a socket wrench on the crank pulley bolt, the problem's a bad starter.

2005Redfire6

forum member
Reaction score
When I first did my 4.6 swap I had the same issue and it was due to not having a good ground on the battery in the trunk, it worked great for the 4.0 I had but not the 4.6. It would do exactly what you are saying, slowly turn over and then eventually start but sometimes it was a real bitch to start.

tooslowfiveo

Reaction score
As luck would have it, it seems that a bolt broke off and jammed the water pump pulley against the water pump. The car runs great now, just have to chase down a few small issues before it's 100% again. Thanks for all the help!

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
hmm....so water pump jammed up kept motor from turning that bad with starter?

neat.....glad to hear its back up

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
As luck would have it, it seems that a bolt broke off and jammed the water pump pulley against the water pump. The car runs great now, just have to chase down a few small issues before it's 100% again. Thanks for all the help!

What bolt?

tooslowfiveo

Reaction score
hmm....so water pump jammed up kept motor from turning that bad with starter?

neat.....glad to hear its back up

Yep, I couldn't believe it either. Still hunting down where the bolt came from, I'm thinking alternator but won't be back by the car to diagnose for a few weeks

Back