Switch to All seasons or not worth it?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I swap from Nitto NT-555's (285-40-18) in summer...to Nitto Motivo's (235-50-18) for the winter. I'm not so much worried about the cold wx, but a better rain tire during the fall / winter. The motivo is far superior to the NT-555 in the rain. They will be swapped in the next few days....then swapped back in the last week of april.

Wow. Completely different experience for me with 555 in the cold rain. It usually rains all year out here with the exception of August/September. I've also run Conti something Contacts and they do ok in the rain but take awhile to warm up. Hankook Evo work pretty well too. Goodyear Eagle Supercar from a GT500 pretty much sucked at everything except making noise.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentalab
I swap from Nitto NT-555's (285-40-18) in summer...to Nitto Motivo's (235-50-18) for the winter. I'm not so much worried about the cold wx, but a better rain tire during the fall / winter. The motivo is far superior to the NT-555 in the rain. They will be swapped in the next few days....then swapped back in the last week of april.

Wow. Completely different experience for me with 555 in the cold rain. It usually rains all year out here with the exception of August/September. I've also run Conti something Contacts and they do ok in the rain but take awhile to warm up. Hankook Evo work pretty well too. Goodyear Eagle Supercar from a GT500 pretty much sucked at everything except making noise.

The nitto Motivo beats the 555 hands down in the rain. The Motivo has 4 x rain grooves vs the 555's 3 x grooves. It's an entirely different tread design and compound. I don't lose traction with the blower on in 2nd gear in 40F dry wx...and that's with 235mm motivo's. They stick good in cold wx. Apples and oranges vs the 555..in the rain.

The 555 is not too bad in the rain, we have had plenty here this week with loads more to come. I swap tires this tuesday, only day this week with no rain. B4 I added all the bmr stuff, the 555's were extremely dangerous in the wet. I was taking weight off the back end with my foot into it..even just a bit. ( car was lowered 1.25" in the rear). oem lca's were higher at axle end..bad news. I lost it 4 times in one day...just going to dentist office across town..in the wet. Get into it just a bit..and it would pull to the left.

After the bmr lca's + lca re-locate brackets + bmr adj uca went in... then the 555 stick in the wet. I used the top holes on the relocates, so lca's were lower at axle end. yr later, I moved down to middle holes. Funny thing is I had zero problems when the motivos's were swapped in oct...without the bmr stuff.

When I bought the motivo's 2 years ago, I had to put down a deposit and wait 2 months...at the local tire shop. They were selling as fast as they could get em in stock, for a wide range of vehicles. They have a tread wear rating of 5XX. ( 60 k mile warranty). They also have better dry traction than a 555...and way better in the wet.

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
I got caught in a snow storm last winter with Cooper RS3A's (all season) and was able to get around but it wasn't pleasant because we have lots of hills here in Southwestern PA.

This year, I'll be driving the Mustang all winter so I bought a set of rims and 4 Blizzak snow tires. From the reviews I read on tire rack, other Mustang owners have noted that these tires work really well.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
The nitto Motivo beats the 555 hands down in the rain. The Motivo has 4 x rain grooves vs the 555's 3 x grooves. It's an entirely different tread design and compound. I don't lose traction with the blower on in 2nd gear in 40F dry wx...and that's with 235mm motivo's. They stick good in cold wx. Apples and oranges vs the 555..in the rain.

The 555 is not too bad in the rain, we have had plenty here this week with loads more to come. I swap tires this tuesday, only day this week with no rain. B4 I added all the bmr stuff, the 555's were extremely dangerous in the wet. I was taking weight off the back end with my foot into it..even just a bit. ( car was lowered 1.25" in the rear). oem lca's were higher at axle end..bad news. I lost it 4 times in one day...just going to dentist office across town..in the wet. Get into it just a bit..and it would pull to the left.

After the bmr lca's + lca re-locate brackets + bmr adj uca went in... then the 555 stick in the wet. I used the top holes on the relocates, so lca's were lower at axle end. yr later, I moved down to middle holes. Funny thing is I had zero problems when the motivos's were swapped in oct...without the bmr stuff.

When I bought the motivo's 2 years ago, I had to put down a deposit and wait 2 months...at the local tire shop. They were selling as fast as they could get em in stock, for a wide range of vehicles. They have a tread wear rating of 5XX. ( 60 k mile warranty). They also have better dry traction than a 555...and way better in the wet.

I don't disagree about an all season being better in the cold and wet, I just don't have many issues with the 555 in the wet. Now with a blower everything changes. So would having a tune with more torque commanded at a lower pedal position. Not saying your tune is like that but it is something that some tuners do to their tunes and it takes away some of the linearity and range needed in the accelerator pedal during inclement weather.

USNA_Stang

Reaction score
I'm running 19's with Falken ZE950 A/S year road in Annapolis, MD, and I absolutely love them. Excellent grip on the hot summer days, great grip during the rain. Haven't taken them through a winter yet, but I expect they shouldnt be too bad.

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
You guys driving mustangs in the snow :perkinswhatever:

Save up and buy a decent winter beater and put the poor mustang away. Road salt and crude on nice Mustangs makes baby jesus cry :Stupid Me:

But to answer your question, living in NY i would get a set of snows for a RWD car. Yeah all seasons will be fine most of the time, but i would rather not get stuck or slide into a curb, car, whatever.

Last edited:

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I have the SUV OR crossover whatever you wanna call it for those days. I'm not driving in the snow just freezing weather.

Kylar

forum member
Reaction score
I have the SUV OR crossover whatever you wanna call it for those days. I'm not driving in the snow just freezing weather.

Ah ok, you should be fine with some decent all seasons then. Dont mind the rest of it, i was just ribbing you a little. :Big Laugh:

thunderingpants

Reaction score
Being from the pnw I run all seasons year around on my daily driver ( Scion xD). Love the continental extreme contact dws. My 'stang still has the p nero zeros that came on it. They are 10 years old so I'm looking for tires right now myself.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I use general gmax as-03 all year round, no issues.
And they have a sexy tread pattern...
61HJ9cnQEUL._SY300_.jpg

Deez-67

forum member
Reaction score
Do what I did and just buy yourself a bad weather car. Best thing I ever did!! Thing is a beast and fun as hell to play in the snow with.

Paid less than $2,000 for it.

AR Stang

forum member
Reaction score
I use general gmax as-03 all year round, no issues.
And they have a sexy tread pattern...
61HJ9cnQEUL._SY300_.jpg

I run these too. Really solid tire, and doesn't hurt the wallet either. I got mine in the stock size for like 102 a tire. They even got me off my snow covered hill easily when the stock pirelli's couldn't when I tried.

I will say though a winter beater is the best case imo. My old 97 Grand Cherokee cost me 400 bucks, after maintenance items, wheels/tires, and lift I was in it for less than 2k. Sold it a while ago and am on the hunt for XJ Cherokee now.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I had Gmax once and they were pretty good.

I ended up with the Pzero Nero All Seasons with 245/40/20 & 275/40/20s.

Didn't get the quieter ride I was looking for compared to the Cooper RS3-S but got overall better ride quality and cold weather traction.

Scrat

forum member
Reaction score
i run the cooper rs3-s in the summer then switch to the rs3-a for winter. I ran these in the snow last year and have absolutely no complaints about the rs3-a's. When these wear out i'll be getting another set.

GrayDay2015

Reaction score
I run these too. Really solid tire, and doesn't hurt the wallet either. I got mine in the stock size for like 102 a tire. They even got me off my snow covered hill easily when the stock pirelli's couldn't when I tried.

I will say though a winter beater is the best case imo. My old 97 Grand Cherokee cost me 400 bucks, after maintenance items, wheels/tires, and lift I was in it for less than 2k. Sold it a while ago and am on the hunt for XJ Cherokee now.
Thinking about grabbing a set of these as well, will have 624 hp this spring though and am looking for a good hooking tire but something that if I get caught in the rain I won't lose confidence, so a street slick is kind of out of the equation right now. Would you recommend these based on that as a tire that would hook well warmed up? I'm a general tire fan all around, and these would run $300 less a set then the MT street comps.

46addict

Reaction score
With that much power I wouldn't expect anything short of drag radials to hook. It seems to be a compromise between rain/cold weather traction versus dry traction. For a car that sees four seasons you would have to sacrifice some power, or give up dry traction for safety on wet roads.

In short, I am sure the Generals would be fine in the rain but don't expect to cut any decent 60' times at the track.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
Michelin Pilot Super Sports are a "go-to" choice for wet weather driving up to and including road course track day sessions, and have pretty good grip once fully warmed up (in the dry, I've seen 1.3+ g cornering and very close to 1g braking after a couple of warm-up laps). So decent grip is there, so don't let their 300 treadwear rating scare you off. Other max/extreme summer tires have slightly better dry grip, but the compromise is wet capabilities that are not as good.

They're decent in street driving at least down into the low 40°'s, maybe into the 30°'s F with 300-ish HP, but with a whole lot more power you'd have to go pretty easy on the go-pedal.

I don't think they're near good enough for getting a great launch with 600+ HP on tap, and they might be tricky to heat up just right at the dragstrip to get the best you can out of them. A too-aggressive burnout would likely overheat them and turn them greasy (they can and will overheat in extended periods of road course use, or in shorter periods with crude driving technique).

Norm

Last edited:

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
I put the BFG Comp2 A/S on my car. 255/45/18 on 18x9.5" wheels at all four corners. I have been very impressed with them in the rain and cold weather. We have been getting an above average amount of snow here lately so I mounted a pair of studded Hankook iPikes I had laying around on V6 wheels on the rear just to ensure I wouldn't have any problems.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back