Super Bad A$$ 2009 S197 3v R-Spec Build Thread!!!

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Jason, I thought you said this was going to be a street car? Just think about how many times he will be taking off from a dead stop in 1st gear and compare that number to how many times he will be at 176mph.

I've been driving three pedal vehicles since I was 19 years old and I'm very aware of how crappy it is to drive a vehicle with a tall 1st gear combined with tall rear end gearing. My 1988 F150 had 3.08 gears and I could hit 38mph in 1st gear. You don't need rock crawling gears but I would think somebody building a cruiser would want a first gear that is easy to engage without smoking the clutch or lurching through the storefront window.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Jason, I thought you said this was going to be a street car? Just think about how many times he will be taking off from a dead stop in 1st gear and compare that number to how many times he will be at 176mph.

I've been driving three pedal vehicles since I was 19 years old and I'm very aware of how crappy it is to drive a vehicle with a tall 1st gear combined with tall rear end gearing. My 1988 F150 had 3.08 gears and I could hit 38mph in 1st gear. You don't need rock crawling gears but I would think somebody building a cruiser would want a first gear that is easy to engage without smoking the clutch or lurching through the storefront window.

It's the stock gearing for a 13'-14' GT500. It's really not an issue. I wonder if your car had a snatchy clutch because of break in. I kid you not, with this gearing I could get the car rolling without touching the gas pedal.

And the gear spacing in the 2.66 trans is better (IMO) anyway. If I were to change anything it would be the final drive.

Boone

Automotive Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm installing 3.55's now and removing my 4.10's. Currently have a 3650, but my desired tranny is a Rockland Gear Tranzilla with the following ratios:
1 2.29
2 1.60
3 1.21
4 1.00
5 0.82
6 0.67

This will be sluggish out of the hole, but I'm a road course guy, and the use of the close ratio 2-3-4 is a dream come true.

The point is... I'll have a 3.55 with a 2.29 1st gear, and it will be on the street 90% of the time. Tires will be 26.6 - 26.8" diameter. That's around 19mph at 2K and 67mph at 7K in 1st. I hope the RXT can handle me slipping the clutch to get rolling. No charge motion plates to assist the low end torque, but the 5.3L should help make up for that.

travelers

Reaction score
It's the stock gearing for a 13'-14' GT500. It's really not an issue. I wonder if your car had a snatchy clutch because of break in. I kid you not, with this gearing I could get the car rolling without touching the gas pedal.

And the gear spacing in the 2.66 trans is better (IMO) anyway. If I were to change anything it would be the final drive.

If you go to the site below and open the Aftermarket Products cat. you can change the final gears.

http://www.tremec.com/menu.php?m=93

I think you can order one with different final gears. It may cost extra...

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Trufiber A61 hood (05-09 GT) and stock height BMR K member works.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
He's probably got the same problem as me, it's 1 hour of car stuff for every 100 cleaning the kitchen and house projects.

Getting a house was a huge mistake, I should have leased a bay with a shop and mezzanine, cheaper, not my responsibility, steel, sump, 220v, no kitchen, etc..

palanza7

forum member
Reaction score
He's probably got the same problem as me, it's 1 hour of car stuff for every 100 cleaning the kitchen and house projects.

Getting a house was a huge mistake, I should have leased a bay with a shop and mezzanine, cheaper, not my responsibility, steel, sump, 220v, no kitchen, etc..

hmm interesting lol

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Sheesh, I thought 3 weeks for reciprocating assembly balancing was bad.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back