School me on drag tire/wheel setups

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Thanks. I guess I'll save up and do it right the first time.

Has anyone else used these in lieu of extended studs? I wouldn't mind swapping studs out but when I switch to street tires for off-track driving I'm guessing the stock lugs won't work with extended studs. Can these be used as dual purpose lugnuts?

$T2eC16FHJI!E9qSO8Hl+BQfw9BC4H!~~60_12.JPG

I've been using those for 2 years on my front 15x4's, no issues.
I run JegStars with a 3/8 spacer and had to shave my caliper a bit.

jam07GT

forum member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with a guy running Race Star 15x10's 7.25BS on his 2006 GT. NO REAR CALIPER GRINDING. DIRECT FIT...SWAY BAR RELOCATION KIT IS REQUIRED.

x2

Right on. Race Star 15x10, 7.25 bs. Like said above, you need to have the sway bar relocation bracket, or a BMR sway bar, which is what I have. Stock brakes. Just have to cut the "tabs" off the stock mounting point. I have same wheel, 15x3.75, 1.5 bs fronts. I have the MT front tires, the ridiculously expensive ones (Sportsman SR, 28x6). I really wanted a 28" front that was also a radial tire.

For rears, 275-60-15 MT drag radial SS. About 28" tall. I have 4.10s/auto. I have run the major drag radials (NITTO, BFG) over the years and the MT are by far the best traction for the track, imo. I run them at 22 PSI racing. Just haze them for the burnout.

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
bias ply rear tire will be more forgiving with your manual trans, but it's your money...

I have M/T et street bias ply tires, 26" diameter (low power n/a car with 4.56 gears) on 15x8 weld rts wheels - no spacers, no grinding, mcgard lug nuts. The tires are have been discontinued by M/T, but Hoosier QTP are similar and folks run them with great results. When mine wear out I'll go with a full slick.

With the right suspension setup and tire you can launch hard and get the most ET out of the car. Good luck!

jam07GT

forum member
Reaction score
bias ply rear tire will be more forgiving with your manual trans, but it's your money...
!

I totally agree on this. That's why I bought an auto car. I wanted to run drag radials and drive it to the track. I tried every drag radial on my 4 speed Chevelle and nothing worked. Every once in a while I would get a clean pass in, but very rare, and I had a two step, etc. Bias ply for stick cars is the way to go.

46addict

Reaction score

I have M/T et street bias ply tires, 26" diameter (low power n/a car with 4.56 gears) on 15x8 weld rts wheels - no spacers, no grinding, mcgard lug nuts. The tires are have been discontinued by M/T, but Hoosier QTP are similar and folks run them with great results. When mine wear out I'll go with a full slick.

Did you run inner tubes with those bias plys? I see some people on the forums running without tubes, and some people do.

lindertw

forum member
Reaction score
Did you run inner tubes with those bias plys? I see some people on the forums running without tubes, and some people do.
no tubes on my setup. I ran 15psi cold at the track, and 25psi when driving around town.

I had them mounted with permatex high tack to keep them in place on the rim

djniknala

forum member
Reaction score
no tubes on my setup. I ran 15psi cold at the track, and 25psi when driving around town.

I had them mounted with permatex high tack to keep them in place on the rim

I did the same(using high tack) on 15" dark stars with Hoosier stiff sidewalk slick at 14psi cold with no tubes. I marked the rim and tires and they never spun in relation to each other. I had 50 plus launches on these with over 20 being at 7k rpm in a '12 GT NA 5.0. All but 3 of those launches were 1.46-1.49.

casper gt

forum member
Reaction score
Its always best to check the rules at the tracks you run at before you decide on the tube/no tube thing.

Some tracks don't care (actually most) if you have tubes or not but some will not let you run a tube type tire with no tube.

Just an FYI thing.

46addict

Reaction score
I did the same(using high tack) on 15" dark stars with Hoosier stiff sidewalk slick at 14psi cold with no tubes. I marked the rim and tires and they never spun in relation to each other. I had 50 plus launches on these with over 20 being at 7k rpm in a '12 GT NA 5.0. All but 3 of those launches were 1.46-1.49.

50 launches sounds like a lot. Do they start losing grip after that?

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. Been a big help.

djniknala

forum member
Reaction score
50 launches sounds like a lot. Do they start losing grip after that?

Thanks everyone for the replies so far. Been a big help.

I didn't do huge burnouts with them but they hadn't shown any signs of slowing down.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back