Passenger window will not reset

RedlyrsRevenge

Reaction score
Hey everyone. New to the forum but not to Mustangs.

I have a 2005 GT and I recently noticed the passenger floor board is wet. We have been getting some much needed rain here in California. I first checked the drain located on the firewall and it was clear. Both the drain lines from my sun roof are clear as well.

Then I noticed my passenger window is acting weird. It does not crack down when opening the door so it appears it is not sealing when you shut it. (A clue to the water?!?!)

I attempted the the window reset procedure but pressing down and holding for two seconds then rolling up and holding for two seconds to no effect. I did this from both driver's side controls and the passenger button.

All I get now when I open the door is a little twitch up and down of the window before it settles at fully rolled up.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
Roll window down and hold switch for 10 seconds. Then roll up and hold for 10 seconds. That should reset the drop down and up feature when opening and closing the door

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Or water intrusion in the sjb which causes all kinds of electrical gremlins.

RedlyrsRevenge

Reaction score
Roll window down and hold switch for 10 seconds. Then roll up and hold for 10 seconds. That should reset the drop down and up feature when opening and closing the door
Tried that to no avail.

If the reset does not work you have a bad window regulator
Noted. I'll have to check on a price through my work.

Or water intrusion in the sjb which causes all kinds of electrical gremlins.
Judging by the ridiculous amount of rain we had this last week, I wouldn't rule it out. The SJB is the big one under the hood right?

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Water by the SJB is a known issue. Search the site there's plenty of info.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Judging by the ridiculous amount of rain we had this last week, I wouldn't rule it out. The SJB is the big one under the hood right?

The SJB is in the panel in the passenger foot well. I don't think our cars have a separate window module like the 04's.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
As stated the SJB is the center of the power window circuit. It provides power to the switches which control the motor. It also monitors for over current situations to protect the circuit in cases such as frozen windows and so forth. If your windows are rolling up and down it is not the motor or the switch. It is the monitoring side of the circuit which again is the SJB. The SJB is located in the kick panel on that side. You may get lucky and be able to dry the SJB out and save it. Otherwise you are looking at a replacement of the unit and required re-flash of same. Just had an acquaintance locally go through the same thing with a 2006.

The following Youtubes address resolved for major causes of this water intrusion issue. Address it or you will be doing it again down the road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFapgCIsWwI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zEDM6FUebA

RedlyrsRevenge

Reaction score
Thanks.

I still can raise and lower windows no problem. The auto up and down work fine as well.

I hope I don't have to replace the SJB... I just had to replace my fuel rail sensor. Darn car is nickel and diming me to death.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks.

I still can raise and lower windows no problem. The auto up and down work fine as well.

I hope I don't have to replace the SJB... I just had to replace my fuel rail sensor. Darn car is nickel and diming me to death.

I will get better. No prob.

BTW Noticed you lived near Yosemite...you lucky dog. Never got to make it up that way when I lived in So Cal. Planned a 10 year anniversary years ago that would fly us to Colorado, then catch the California Zephyr vintage passenger rail first class from Denver to SF, and last a rental car to drive to Fresno for a week so we could have gone to Yosemite and Redwood Forest, but someone (not me) wanted to go to Hawaii...so we went to Hawaii. I hope to see both some day before I croak. LOL!

RedlyrsRevenge

Reaction score
Yeah Yosemite is just a short drive away. I'm sad to say I have not been in 15 years. I should fix that this year.

Regarding the SJB, would my driver's side window be messed up as well if it got wet? It still drops down like normal when opening and closing the door. Only the passenger side is being weird.

RedlyrsRevenge

Reaction score
So, it has been a few days and I left the little panel open by the SJB. I have driven in a bit of rain and have not noticed any water intrusion. I also have been running the floor vents on high heat and A/C to try and dry out the car.

I rolled down the window, did the reset and it is working now.

We'll see if it stays that way.

Thank you all for the help.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
That sounds promising. You may wish to place a small fan so that ti blows air (or better yet a hair dryer set on warm or cool (not hot) blowing directly on the SJB over an extended period of time to ensure that it has dried out. You may have lucked out and not let any smoke out of the electronic components inside the device. HA! HA!

post some pics of YOSEMITE after your return trip...lucky dog!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back