AM Bullitt Wheels won't work with big brake kits

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
Which Budget Wheels for Big Brake Kits

This post was originally "AM Bullitt Wheels won't work with big brake kits".

I have now updated it because my wheel options have narrowed, as the American Muscle wheels I liked do not work with big brake kits.
I do not yet have an aftermarket brake kit, but want to be future-proof.

Do you have any suggestions for a stylish, budget wheel that will fit in staggered chrome 18x9 and 18x10?

Original Post:
I was just about to purchase the 18x10 and 18.9 chrome bullitt wheels, but likely saw the big brake kits are listed as not working with those wheels.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/chrome-2005-deep-dish-bullitt-wheels-18x9-18x10.html

So now I am trying to find a similar budget replacement. The car will be mostly for show, but will also need to get a good drag time at least to get the slip. I planned on running MT Street S/S 305/40/18, and the bullitt offset worked from what I read.

Any opinions on the Saleen vs GT500 Or...?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/chromesaleen-18x10-0510.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/chrome-gt500-18x10-0510.html#customer_pics-0

I know this is highly subjective, but I'm asking since it will be for shows, and I want to ensure I have future compatibility with wilwood, Brembo, etc.

Last edited:

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Personally I would stay clear from American Muscle branded wheels, as I've read quite a lot of negative reviews about their wheels being out of round..

I would stick with name brands such as Niche road wheels, Forgestar and Vossen just to name a few.. I was actually going to purchase American Muscle's FR500 style wheels until someone from another forum brought to my attention about their wheels being out of round.. However AM does offer some of the name brand manufacturers that I listed above..

Needless to say, I ended up purchasing my wheels from Steeda and couldn't be happier..

AndrewNagle

forum member
Reaction score
I was just about to purchase the 18x10 and 18.9 chrome bullitt wheels, but likely saw the big brake kits are listed as not working with those wheels.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/chrome-2005-deep-dish-bullitt-wheels-18x9-18x10.html

So now I am trying to find a similar budget replacement. The car will be mostly for show, but will also need to get a good drag time at least to get the slip. I planned on running MT Street S/S 305/40/18, and the bullitt offset worked from what I read.

Any opinions on the Saleen vs GT500 Or...?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/chromesaleen-18x10-0510.html

http://www.americanmuscle.com/chrome-gt500-18x10-0510.html#customer_pics-0

I know this is highly subjective, but I'm asking since it will be for shows, and I want to ensure I have future compatibility with wilwood, Brembo, etc.

Not sure how well 305/40/18 will fit

but these fit over my front and rear Wilwoods and I am running 275/40/18

M-1007-S1895B1.jpg

http://www.tascaparts.com/mustang/2007-svt-mustang-blk-whl-machined-lip/m-1007-s1895b1/?parent=1104

http://www.tascaparts.com/mustang/2007-svt-mustang-wheel/m-1007-s1895/?parent=1104
M-1007-S1895.jpg

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
Personally I would stay clear from American Muscle branded wheels, as I've read quite a lot of negative reviews about their wheels being out of round..

I would stick with name brands such as Niche road wheels, Forgestar and Vossen just to name a few.. I was actually going to purchase American Muscle's FR500 style wheels until someone from another forum brought to my attention about their wheels being out of round.. However AM does offer some of the name brand manufacturers that I listed above..

Needless to say, I ended up purchasing my wheels from Steeda and couldn't be happier..

Yeah, I've seen those reviews too. I wonder if that has been rectified in manufacturing or if they have a better process in place to test.
I did just call them and ask how often they get complaints in comparison to purchases. Not sure if it is accurate but the rep said they sell "hundreds" of wheels per day.
As with anything, a jaded customer is more likely to leave a review than a happy one. Odd right?

I guess the bullitt wheels won't fit big brake kits because they are deep dish, but I should be fine with the Saleen. Had considered Race Star as well, but the 18x8.5 (prefer 18x9) has a backspacing that makes it "rear only", and I don't want to run a 17x7 front with 15x10 rear due to the amount of sidewall on a 15. Looking to stay 18x9 and 18x10. I already have 4 new MPS AS2 to use for the front, and I'll pick up the 305/40/18 MT ET Street SS for the rear.

Still researching...

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
Have you tried looking at stuff from LateModelResto?

I ran SVE Drifts on my 2011 GT w/Brembos

The finish and construction was superb. Not to mention the price was/is amazing. Below is what you're wanting to run for the front. They also offer 18x10.

Not sure what your definition of "big brake kits" is since coming from an 05-09, even the coyote brembos are an upgrade.

Size: 18X9
Offset: +35mm
Backspacing: 6.38
Weight: 23 lbs
Lug Pattern: 5 x 114.3

Mustang Brake Clearance

WILL Clear:
- 2005-2016 Base V6
- 2005-2016 Base GT
- 2011-2014 GT with 4-piston Brembo
- 2012-2013 Boss 302 with 4-piston Brembo
- 2007-2012 GT500 with 4-piston Brembo
- M2300S
- M2300SA
- STP-82330470071
- STP-82330470051
- RSH-421457
- RSH-421458
- WIL-1409109DR
- WIL-1409110DR

Will NOT Clear:
- 2013-2014 GT500 with 6-piston Brembo
- 2015-2016 GT with 6-piston Brembo
- LRS-2120AK
- M2300T
- M2300TA
- STP-83334680071
- STP-83334680051

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
Have you tried looking at stuff from LateModelResto?
Not sure what your definition of "big brake kits" is since coming from an 05-09, even the coyote brembos are an upgrade.

Thanks for the info. Those are nice wheels too, but looking to stay chrome.
Regarding the brakes, I haven't decided yet but I want to be upgrade-ready and have multiple options available. The FR500 and Bullitt wheels from AM won't fit over most of the brake kits I have seen, such as wilwood, brembo, baer, etc.
I think the only one that is possible is the smaller Stoptech, but at $3,000...I'm glad I'm looking ahead.

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
As it turns out, many of the wheels American Muscle carries are sourced from Wheel Replicas, so hopefully the out of round issue is a thing of the past.

Unfortunately, I could not get confirmation on the fit for the Saleen wheels. Hopefully someone with those wheels is running a big brake kit and can confirm.

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
Great, did they just update their product listing after I called? Now it says they don't fit over big brake kits such as Brembo.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen those reviews too. I wonder if that has been rectified in manufacturing or if they have a better process in place to test.
I did just call them and ask how often they get complaints in comparison to purchases. Not sure if it is accurate but the rep said they sell "hundreds" of wheels per day.
As with anything, a jaded customer is more likely to leave a review than a happy one. Odd right?

I guess the bullitt wheels won't fit big brake kits because they are deep dish, but I should be fine with the Saleen. Had considered Race Star as well, but the 18x8.5 (prefer 18x9) has a backspacing that makes it "rear only", and I don't want to run a 17x7 front with 15x10 rear due to the amount of sidewall on a 15. Looking to stay 18x9 and 18x10. I already have 4 new MPS AS2 to use for the front, and I'll pick up the 305/40/18 MT ET Street SS for the rear.

Still researching...

I think you know as well as I do that when it comes to certain large volume companies, sales reps are going to lead you on with claims such as how many products they sell per day, but when it comes to addressing a specific question concerning customer complaints about the particular product you happen to be interested in, that's when you never seem to get a straight forward answer, but instead get more marketing hype claims about how superior their products are over the competition..

This is just my personal opinion of course, however if I feel that a vendor's sales rep is unable to provide honest and straight forward answers to my questions regarding a particular product in which I'm interested in.. Then as far as I'm concerned, they're just not trustworthy enough to earn my business to begin with anyhow

At any rate, as I mentioned in an previous post.. If you intend on purchasing wheels from AM.. I would still recommend that you only purchase name brands from them..

As for their Saleen knockoffs, I cant say one way or the other if they'll clear brake kits such as Brembo's or not, however I can confirm that they will clear in a 20x9.5 size, as a friend of mine has a 2007 Saleen S281 with the original wheels manufactured by Saleen..

raredesign

forum member
Reaction score
I think you know as well as I do that when it comes to certain large volume companies, sales reps are going to lead you on with claims such as how many products they sell per day, but when it comes to addressing a specific question concerning customer complaints about the particular product you happen to be interested in, that's when you never seem to get a straight forward answer, but instead get more marketing hype claims about how superior their products are over the competition..

This is just my personal opinion of course, however if I feel that a vendor's sales rep is unable to provide honest and straight forward answers to my questions regarding a particular product in which I'm interested in.. Then as far as I'm concerned, they're just not trustworthy enough to earn my business to begin with anyhow

At any rate, as I mentioned in an previous post.. If you intend on purchasing wheels from AM.. I would still recommend that you only purchase name brands from them..

As for their Saleen knockoffs, I cant say one way or the other if they'll clear brake kits such as Brembo's or not, however I can confirm that they will clear in a 20x9.5 size, as a friend of mine has a 2007 Saleen S281 with the original wheels manufactured by Saleen..

True, and thank you for you advice.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back