07 mustang gt hesitates

Tommyd120

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and would like some advice. This topic may have been discussed but I can't find the exact problem. I just got back from a deployment and had my car started here and there while I was gone. Now the car hesitates underload below 3krpms. After it seems to clear up and run fine. Car has a CAI, long tube headers, o/r h pipe, no mufflers, frpp hotrod cams, and a Bama tune. Before I left the car ran fine. Can't quite put my finger on the problem since the car is not throwing any codes beside the p1000 code that it has always thrown. Anything would help at this point.

Thanks, Tommy

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I would start out by asking whomever started your car for you during the time you were away on deployment and find out if they noticed any hesitation problems.. Otherwise it could also be from gas sitting in your tank for too long which is always a good idea to use a fuel stabilizer like Stabil 360 whenever your car is in storage during prolonged periods of time..

I'd also start by checking your MAF sensor and throttle body to make certain there's no dirt or oil deposits anywhere on them..

In the meantime, hopefully others will chime in fairly soon to provide some answers for you as well.. And Btw: welcome to S197 forums and from one vet to another.. I'd also like to say, thank you very much for your service :beer:

Tommyd120

Reaction score
I would start out by asking whomever started your car for you during the time you were away on deployment and find out if they noticed any hesitation problems.. Otherwise it could also be from gas sitting in your tank for too long which is always a good idea to use a fuel stabilizer like Stabil 360 whenever your car is in storage during prolonged periods of time..

I'd also start by checking your MAF sensor and throttle body to make certain there's no dirt or oil deposits anywhere on them..

In the meantime, hopefully others will chime in fairly soon to provide some answers for you as well.. And Btw: welcome to S197 forums and from one vet to another.. I'd also like to say, thank you very much for your service :beer:
I asked when I first got back if they noticed (neither really car people), they said they didn't notice anything. Just checked maf and throttle body today and they are spotless. I was thinking maybe moisture in the tank? But I ran the fuel down fairly low and refueled last night. Also added some heet to see if it could clear some water up. Figured I get some more opinions. Thanks for the reply and your service as well

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I asked when I first got back if they noticed (neither really car people), they said they didn't notice anything. Just checked maf and throttle body today and they are spotless. I was thinking maybe moisture in the tank? But I ran the fuel down fairly low and refueled last night. Also added some heet to see if it could clear some water up. Figured I get some more opinions. Thanks for the reply and your service as well

I honestly don't know what else could be causing your hesitation issues then, unless it's related to the trouble code that you posted :shrug:

Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful, but I'm sure that others will provide more opinions who have far more expertise than I do to help determine what's causing your hesitation issues..

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Mine did that and kept trying things. Finally pulled the fuel filter and drained the tank dry, replacement the filter and refueled and it's been perfect. For me it was bad gas that messed up the filter.

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
So it appears that bad fuel may have something to do with it afterall, just as I suspected from the very beginning lol.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
I'm just goin to throw this out there. When you say it was "spotless", is that just looking at it or did you clean them? I was getting low end surging an was told to clean the throttle body. Mine "looked" spotless but after the first hit of the cleaner it was obvious that it was filthy by the runoff. Got rid of the surging.

46addict

Reaction score
When I had the same problem, changing the spark plug coil boots fixed the problem. They looked good but they apparently were not transferring voltage properly.
While you're in there I would inspect the spark plugs as well and check for cracks in the porcelain and for any plugs that are loose.

And for safe measure, check to see if system voltage is at least 13.8 volts when the car is running. A weak battery can cause issues like this.

If none of the above works I would consider getting a retune. Bama tuning has been known to cause issues on cars with more than just a CAI and gears.

Exley

forum member
Reaction score
Pretty sure p1000 just means it hasn't passed all the emissions reediness tests. Shouldn't effect how it runs.

Smeaglly

Reaction score
So I have the same problem but mine is after I swapped the stock engine after is sized up and put a newer stock 09 engine in it, I've given it a fresh oil change, trans fluid change, new fuel filter and pump, cleaned throttle body and MAF, as well as new gas, also has a new battery

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back