bleeding the clutch system

Gh0stRep0rt

forum member
Reaction score
Whats the longest any of you have end up bleeding the clutch system?.
After putting together my build engine and putting inside the engine bay, now im stuck bleeding the clutch for week now . Since the gear didnt go in while the car was on, i decided to lift the back to see if it goes in gear which it does but the wheel spin. I was told theres still air in the system . It suck having a stroker engine and cant drive it at all

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
What you do you have? I think the 05-06 models had a bleeder on the clutch line. A mighty vac is a great idea.

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ Nope. You can obtain a master cylinder cap and connect a vacuum pump to it and pull down a vacuum on the master/slave cylinder system which may help, but in the end you are going to be pumping the clutch brake until all the air works out. I had a clutch upgrade including slave cylinder at a nationally known speed shop I refer to these days as "Brand B". They got most of the air out with their process (don't know what that was), but I was told that during the 4.5 hour return drive to pump on the clutch pedal about every 15 minutes or so to work the air out of it. I did this, putting the car in neutral every so often and allowing it to coast while pumping the clutch and could feel the pedal harden up during the drive back. I drive the car around locally the next day and the pedal was fine.

McLeod and maybe another sell a slave cylinder upgrade line these days that does have the bleeder on it to help take a lot of the work out of the process. IT would be worth the extra 100 or so.

Last edited:

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Yea stock line has no bleeder valve, basic instructions is have driver front wheel lifted way up, and pump till your legs fall off, and then invite a friend to do the same

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
^^^ Nope. You can obtain a master cylinder cap and connect a vacuum pump to it and pull down a vacuum on the master/slave cylinder system which may help, but in the end you are going to be pumping the clutch brake until all the air works out. I had a clutch upgrade including slave cylinder at a nationally known speed shop I refer to these days as "Brand B". They got most of the air out with there process (don't know what that was), but I was told that during the 4.5 hour return drive to pump on the clutch pedal about every 15 minutes or so to work the air out of it. I did this, putting the car in neutral every so often and allowing it to coast while pumping the clutch and could feel the pedal harden up during the drive back. I drive the car around locally the next day and the pedal was fine.

McLeod and maybe another sell a slave cylinder upgrade line these days that does have the bleeder on it to help take a lot of the work out of the process. IT would be worth the extra 100 or so.

What are you saying nope to?

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
There is no bleeder on the 05-09 factory slave cylinder system just as WES06 confirmed.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What clutch and slave? I had a horrible experience with not removing the air prior to install the first time. I pumped for weeks, jacked up the front driver side used the mighty vac on the resevoir over and over. Could not get it right. Had to take it in and come apart replaced slave filled first to fix.

Fast foward to my last clutch job that I did myself I capped the clutch line coming down from the master I stuck the slave end in the brake fluid and pumped it until it was completely filled and all air was out and it was overflowing and capped that installed it on the trans. Once trans was back in I installed the plastic elblow used hose and syringe to pump in more fluid till the slave line and elbow was overflowing. I decapped the clutch line and installed it in the elbow quickly as fluid came out and clipped that in place. Went to pump the clutch a few times and it was perfect required no bleeding. I will always use this method for now on.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I know many don't have the same experience as me, but I have bled 05-09 clutch systems on 4 different occasions by drawing vacuum on the master cylinder and been done in like 10 min.

+1 if you want to count the time I lent out my pump and the guy had the same success as me.

Gh0stRep0rt

forum member
Reaction score
What clutch and slave? I had a horrible experience with not removing the air prior to install the first time. I pumped for weeks, jacked up the front driver side used the mighty vac on the resevoir over and over. Could not get it right. Had to take it in and come apart replaced slave filled first to fix.

Fast foward to my last clutch job that I did myself I capped the clutch line coming down from the master I stuck the slave end in the brake fluid and pumped it until it was completely filled and all air was out and it was overflowing and capped that installed it on the trans. Once trans was back in I installed the plastic elblow used hose and syringe to pump in more fluid till the slave line and elbow was overflowing. I decapped the clutch line and installed it in the elbow quickly as fluid came out and clipped that in place. Went to pump the clutch a few times and it was perfect required no bleeding. I will always use this method for now on.
I see... well i will give it a try to this method, thanks for the good information

Gh0stRep0rt

forum member
Reaction score
Well, i replaced the slave cylinder and the clutch master cylinder, still the rear wheel will spin...
I looked under the car and break fluid was coming out of the hole on the bottom of the trans. The new slave went south lol.
But honestly im out of idea...

phattyfat

forum member
Reaction score
What's you flywheel, clutch, trans? Do you have a spacer on the slave cylinder? And when you say the rear wheel spins, doe the transmission output shaft spin too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
+1, what is the setup, what clutch, trans, flywheel, slave etc. My new slave shit the bed as well from all the pumping with air in it.

Gh0stRep0rt

forum member
Reaction score
What's you flywheel, clutch, trans? Do you have a spacer on the slave cylinder? And when you say the rear wheel spins, doe the transmission output shaft spin too?

Stock clutch, 8 bolt cobra flywheel "cant remember the brand right now", tr3650 trans. The car is jack up off the ground and if i turn on the car and put it in 1st gear the back wheel will spin even if i hold the clutch pedal in or i let it go. Now i was told that if i put the car on 1st gear while the car is off and i try to spin the wheel by hand it shouldnt move at all, but it does. So i replace the tob and the clutch master cylinder and still does it...
Im lossing my head not being able to enjoy driving my car down the street

phattyfat

forum member
Reaction score
I would try, with the car off and in first gear, turning the driveshaft. Then with the clutch pedal pressed in turning the driveshaft. Your limited slip may be allowing one tire to rotate but no driveshaft movement. How does the clutch pedal feel? Light? Normal?

07 Boss

Reaction score
Stock clutch, 8 bolt cobra flywheel "cant remember the brand right now", tr3650 trans. The car is jack up off the ground and if i turn on the car and put it in 1st gear the back wheel will spin even if i hold the clutch pedal in or i let it go. Now i was told that if i put the car on 1st gear while the car is off and i try to spin the wheel by hand it shouldnt move at all, but it does. So i replace the tob and the clutch master cylinder and still does it...
Im lossing my head not being able to enjoy driving my car down the street

So the clutch stays engaged when you push the pedal in and the clutch is disengaged when the pedal is out? So it's not doing the right thing either with the pedal in or out. Is that correct? Have you tried to put the car in gear while it was on the ground and running?

phattyfat

forum member
Reaction score
So the clutch stays engaged when you push the pedal in and the clutch is disengaged when the pedal is out? So it's not doing the right thing either with the pedal in or out. Is that correct? Have you tried to put the car in gear while it was on the ground?

With the clutch pushed in the clutch is disengaged and the driveshaft should spin freely. With the clutch out, it is engaged and the driveshaft should not move by hand. This is all with the car off.

Gh0stRep0rt

forum member
Reaction score
So the clutch stays engaged when you push the pedal in and the clutch is disengaged when the pedal is out? So it's not doing the right thing either with the pedal in or out. Is that correct? Have you tried to put the car in gear while it was on the ground and running?
Even if i got my foot on or off the clutch pedal while the car is on gear, the back wheel will spin freely... i believe that if i got my foot on the clutch the back wheel shouldnt spin at all until i let go of the pedal. When the car was on the ground i couldnt put it in gear at all, who ever made this clutch system designed is an idiot lol

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back