Upgraded Calipers with 17" Rims

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
I replied to a different post but can't seem to find it! Damn iPhone and Safari! LOL

So anyway, any recommendations for upgraded calipers for an 05 GT running 17" Bullitts?

If 18's and GT500 takeoffs are my only option, I'll probably just replace my pads and rotors. I like running 17x9's up front and 18x10's in the rear.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I replied to a different post but can't seem to find it! Damn iPhone and Safari! LOL

So anyway, any recommendations for upgraded calipers for an 05 GT running 17" Bullitts?

If 18's and GT500 takeoffs are my only option, I'll probably just replace my pads and rotors. I like running 17x9's up front and 18x10's in the rear.

I am running a racestar darkstar 17x7 with GT500 brembo's.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
I am running a racestar darkstar 17x7 with GT500 brembo's.

Everything I'm reading says 17" Bullitts won't work. They're not OE though. They're Voxx. Is measuring the inside diameter of the rim enough to decide if the GT500 setup will work? The offset is about +15mm over stock and the rims add an extra 1/2" (17x9 vs 17x8).

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Why do you think you need upgraded calipers? Good pads will probably get you what you are after for a lot less, time, hassle and money. You may change rotors more often, but they are not terribly expensive.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Why do you think you need upgraded calipers? Good pads will probably get you what you are after for a lot less, time, hassle and money. You may change rotors more often, but they are not terribly expensive.

Seems to be what everyone wants. Baer, Willwood, Brembo...

I'd probably be happy with upgraded pads and stainless lines. Maybe a JLT brake cooling kit too.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
Recommendations for a good set of pads that won't squeal or squeak around town but provide better bite when braking at highway speeds or at the dragway?

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
MassMustang,

The CornerCarver sub-forum here is probably your best bet for pad info. Of course, pad choice will depend on what you're doing with the car!

Chris

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Seems to be what everyone wants. Baer, Willwood, Brembo...

I'd probably be happy with upgraded pads and stainless lines. Maybe a JLT brake cooling kit too.

If you want to stay with the 17" Bullits, those choices are not on the table.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What do you need brake cooling for? Are you open tracking your car? Brembos or larger rotors/calipers provide zero benefit if all you're doing is spirited street driving.

MassMustang

forum member
Reaction score
What do you need brake cooling for? Are you open tracking your car? Brembos or larger rotors/calipers provide zero benefit if all you're doing is spirited street driving.

The majority will be spirited street/highway driving and the occasional romp down the dragstrip. So a good set of pads and stainless lines would probably do me good. I thought about the JLT kit to route air into the engine bay, but thought it may be better served cooking brakes as intended. Couldn't hurt, right?

The only time I'm worried about brakes and fading are if she's running hot and brake lines soften up or the rotors heat up. A common scenario is sitting in an hour of traffic in 90-degree weather and then it just opens up. So you ramp it up and start moving! Then, all of a sudden, the traffic comes to a dead stop again. That or I drive 2-3 hours to get to the track, hot lap a few times and you know things are running hot. I don't want my brakes fading when trying to slow down from 115+ mph.

Am I thinking about this logically?

Last edited:

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You don't want brake cooling on a street car. There's no need. Spend your money on good pads and lines.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back