WTT: Rear Ends, My 4.10s for Your 3.55

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I'm going to be swapping to an MT-82 in my car and I'd like to ditch my 4.10s and go with 3.55s. I'm sure there is someone around here with a 3.55 rear end that wants 4.10s, so why not save us both a few bucks?

I have a rear axle from a 2008 GT with 4.10s professionally installed by a dealership. There is a bit of whine, but they've been good to me for the last 3 years. They have about 50k miles on them. When the gears were replaced, I had all the bearings, seals, and clutch packs replaced as well. I also had a solid pinion spacer installed.

The good:

Comes with BMR upper diff bushing, relocation brackets, new axle, and new fluid

The bad:

A friend of mine curbed the car a few months back and hit the rear axle pretty hard. We replaced an axle shaft, bearing, seal, and brake caliper adapter bracket on the passengers side. The car still tracks true and I have a current alignment sheet to prove it. There are no abnormal noises or behavior from the rear axle. I've been driving it like this for the last few months. No abnormal tire wear either.

The plan:

You come over to my place or I come over to yours and we spend a couple hours one weekend swapping axles over. I've got the tools and the space to do it.

This car is my daily driver, so the mileage will go up. I'd be happy to take anyone who is interested in making the swap for a ride in the car.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Wait until after you swap transmissions before going forward with this. The 1st gear in the T56 is a lot taller than your current first gear.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
The 3.55s with the MT82 will actually be numerically lower in first gear with the 3.55s than with the 4.10s and 3650. All the other gears will be a little numerically higher. I've been racking my brain for weeks about the gears and fell between 3.31 and 3.55.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
No, you're wrong. The 3650 has a much lower 1st gear (higher numerically). Something like 3.31 or so. With the T56 you will have a much taller 1st gear, either 2.97 or 2.66. So you will need more gear with the T56.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
You're wrong about the transmission I'm putting in lol. Get your reading glasses out, Brian!

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I don't have that kind of money lol. I scooped my MT82 for peanuts so that's the route I'm going.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
Still looking! Open to 3.55 and 3.31.

Living situation has changed and the swap will have to be done at your place.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I have a set of 3.55s too. I'm trying to avoid dropping the cash on getting them installed. Thanks though!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back