2008 "tigermachine II" Bullitt Mustang build, Pics & Video on Post #518 ...

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
U checked your spam folder?

This has happened once or twice. I'll have to message Shaggy.

Dave, yes I always check it before I delete the useless notices in it.
There has not been anything in it from S197.
This has just taken place like in the last week.
So something on this site has changed as my settings are correct.

Also, I am receiving all "instant-notices" from every other internet site I am a member on.

So, something on this site is not sending those notices to me for some reason.

I don't know if there has been a recent software change on here.
But if it has that might explain why I'm no longer receiving those notices.

Thanks for looking into this for me.

Glad you got your car back running well!

Well it was today the time I spent in it.
We shall see how it goes as I will be putting some real miles on it as soon as the weather permits.

I think I'll make a round trip to KY. and back and that is an excellent test.

That will be like a 900 mile round trip so it always shows up anything going on with the car.

That car has always amazed me

I appreciate it !!!

It's really a pretty darn cool machine when all of it is working and performing as it should.

Terry

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Tiger I seem to recall a nitrous install at some point, is that just a small shot that is running any time the car is WOT or how does that work? Based on the switches I remember I think it's usually off.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Tiger I seem to recall a nitrous install at some point, is that just a small shot that is running any time the car is WOT or how does that work? Based on the switches I remember I think it's usually off.
Your correct it does have NOS installed and the bottle is in the trunk out of the way.

It stays off all the time.

If it was turned-on and Activated it would then work on WOT (Wide-Open-Throttle).

It is a 50-Shot and was actually used just for a number on the Dyno.
(Along with a Performance-Tune, Race-Fuel, plus the 50-shot)

There would be really no-way to use it on the street IMO.

Terry

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Huh! You'd think with that small a shot they could fuel for it, you could run around with it activating at WOT. Another 50 hp in ~1000, no big deal. Maybe the cooling effect isn't that great.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Huh! You'd think with that small a shot they could fuel for it, you could run around with it activating at WOT. Another 50 hp in ~1000, no big deal. Maybe the cooling effect isn't that great.
I really just don't know other than to say it would be crazy to try to use it on the street with street tires.
You would be instantly in the rev-limiter constantly especially in the lower gears.
It gets in the rev-limiter now in the lower gears if I just jump on the gas and floor it.

The NOS in my case is simply of no practical use at all on the street IMO.

Terry

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Knocking Noise from Engine so took back to DBR Performance !!!

Guys,

Well I'm driving the Bullitt for a Dr. visit and while driving I start hearing a noise coming from the engine area.
Especially while I'm at a stop or going really slow and low RPM.
When I would pull away from a stop even under really light throttle the Engine Noise was or seemed to be getting worse.
So, I decided to go straight to DBR Performance which was like maybe 25 miles from where I was.
I get to DBR and back the Bullitt in a parking place and let it idle so it did not have to be restarted.
David heard it as I came in the parking lot and parked it and came right out.
He listened to it from both front sides and it seemed the noise was more coming from underneath the engine than the top side.
David thought it might be something like a hole in a piston, bad rod bearing/bearings, crank bearing/bearings, piston rings that sort of things.
There obviously was no-way to actually tell as you could not really define where the heck the noise was actually coming from.
He did not want to restart the engine that's for sure as it definitely sounded really bad.
So we all got behind it while David did the driving/steering and pushed it in the shop to a lift.
Jon was with another customer so there was a few minutes before he finished with his customer and came out to the shop and my Bullitt.
They put it on a lift and Jon had one of the techs remove all the spark-plugs so he could do a compression check.
He did the compression check and it was obvious it was not a hole in a piston/pistons or a blown ring/rings on the pistons.
He (Jon) also took a scope and looked at every piston through the spark-plug openings.
All looked A-OK.

Once that was done he knew it was more than likely not a piston issue so raised it up on the lift.
Dropped the oil pan so he could check everything out from the bottom side.
He looked at everything you could see with the oil-pan off.
The crank, rods, pistons, bearings, cylinder walls all looked A-OK.
So, that took care of that but still did not know what was causing the Racket/Mechanical Noise as it was not some little noise.
At this point he then decides to remove the passenger side valve cover to inspect everything on that side.

Once the right passenger-side valve cover was removed he could inspect everything under it.
The cam surface, Jesel followers all moving components looked perfect.
No noticeable wear and definitely no oil starvation on the upper end.
Even with what you will See & Read about below on oil pressure not instantly coming up when engine was started.
(More on that below so hang loose for a few minutes)

Well, as it turns out they turn the engine over with the starter and what does he See & Hear instantly ???
The passenger side Cam-Phaser was Broken and was making a Very-Noticeable-LOUD-Clicking sound.
Then he turns it over by hand and can see that the Cam Phaser is Broken internally.
That's where all the Mechanical Noise was originating from.

So I was 1-Lucky fellow guys ..........

I took a few videos so you guys could see what took place.

This first one is with him hand turning the engine over.
Look really close as you watch the Cam Phaser turn and then all of a Sudden, Jump !!!
Jon is cycling it twice so you can see what's going on.

Next is Jon turning it over with the starter.
You will hear clearly the Cam Phaser but you cannot actually see it jumping as it's moving too
fast.

Now let me also cover what else I saw personally as Jon showed me (Before) removing whatever this material is hung in the Oil-Pump Pick-Up Tube.
It had pushed the screen up in the tube and caught on it luckily.
If it had not had that screen and got caught on it, it would have been Pulled right up into the engine.

The rest of the story on this is for years after receiving the Bullitt back I had noticed that it took a minute for the Oil-Pressure to come up.

Quote:
I don't think that it happened when the B302 engine was installed in 2011 it was not doing it when I picked it up.
Also it was raced at the NMRA World Finals in Bowling Green, KY so surely one of us would have noticed it.
It was also raced by me at the NMRA World Finals in Bowling Green, KY in 2012 and all was A-OK.
We all would have noticed it taking time for the oil-pressure to come up as slow as it is taking.

Quote:
This took place over time guys it was not doing this instantly when I got it back after the Canton Deep-Sump Oil-Pan was installed in 2013.
So simply making a guess and that's what this is, a guess, it happened when the Extra Capacity Canton 8-quart oil pan was installed.
It took time for whatever this material is to get sucked up into the oil pump pick-up tube.

A few people had also mentioned it to me that had changed oil in it over the years.
I said well it's been acting like that for a long time and I simply let it idle until the Oil-Pressure comes all the way up to normal.
Well Jon and I discussed it so he was looking carefully at things to see if he saw anything obvious with the Oil-Pan dropped.
Sure enough here is the Glob/Material that was hung up in the Oil-Pump Pick-Up tube.
None of us could and have not figured out what it is.
But I did take Close-Up pictures of this as Jon was removing it.
He suggested replacing the entire Pick-Up tube because there was No-Way to make sure that some of whatever that
material was/is was still hung at other places in the tube.
Below are the pictures of what Jon & I saw in person so this is not some 3rd party bull-crap make believe story guys.

So as I have said no matter who is doing what, things can happen and this is an example of exactly that.
Once again this is not a Finger-Pointing beat up on some Shop or Tech/Techs.
My only reason for sharing the things I have recently with all of you is simply to be honest and straight-forward on things that can and do happen.
This is just an example of that.

T.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What's left of a dead rat? Looks like fur or maybe insulation of some sort.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What's left of a dead rat? Looks like fur or maybe insulation of some sort.

that is bizarre.... glad it was found

What in the Hell? Looks like something that would come out of a tub drain.

Glad you caught it before your engine got damaged. Looks like the Tiger Machine ate a mouse!

I'm glad you caught it. It definitely looks like insulation or packing material.

Well Guys,

We all looked at the material more than a few times and none of us could really decide what the heck it started out to be.
It looks to me like maybe insulation or part of a cleaning pad.
Well the good thing is it's damn sure gone and that pick-up tube is being replaced.
The oil pressure for a very-very long time has taken time to come up to normal.
It was like it was in Slow-Motion of sorts.

I guess the Oil Pump is for sure the real deal to have pulled oil through that glob/material.

And fortunately the engine all looks great inside.

So Jon has ordered the whole complete front Phaser assemblies, timing chain etc.
Everything will be completely new once again so I'll be all set.
Also new spark-plugs as they are already out anyway may as well install new ones.

Bonus, this time around is I'm thinking I'll have once again, Instant-Oil-Pressure" !!!

I wish I had thought to do a video of what the engine sounded like when I drove it over to DBR.
I was so nervous and torn-up it just never even entered my mind to do a video so you guys could hear the actual Racket.
It sounded like something in the engine had completely Broken !!!
Very-very LOUD ...........

Terry

Last edited:

GTAmuscle

forum member
Reaction score
You've been having a lot of trouble lately with that car of yours Terry. Luckily you have a good shop so close to you.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Glad you came away without major damage. When my phaser came apart, funny it was the pass side also it cost me a fire and an engine. It's great you have a shop close to you that can handle the work on your Tiger machine.

slackinoff

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Rascal coughed a fur ball into your oil pan. (watched your youtube video on brushing Rascal, I thought he was going to destroy you).

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You've been having a lot of trouble lately with that car of yours Terry. Luckily you have a good shop so close to you.

Yes I have and Yes I luckily have an {Excellent} shop 20 minutes and maybe 20 miles from this house.
icon14.gif

Glad you came away without major damage. When my phaser came apart, funny it was the pass side also it cost me a fire and an engine. It's great you have a shop close to you that can handle the work on your Tiger machine.

Earl, I do remember your posting of the engine fire thing with oil being blown all over it.
icon9.gif

It is also interesting as you say that the passenger side on both of ours has Failed.

I just received pictures from Jon (DBR) I'll post below once I load them in photobucket.

I consider myself very-very fortunate that DBR is actually just right on top of where I live.

They have done a great many things for me now on mine.

And telling it like it is with no exaggeration they (Jon) had done everything in a professional manner.

Rascal coughed a fur ball into your oil pan. (watched your youtube video on brushing Rascal, I thought he was going to destroy you).

Well if it was a Hair-Ball from the Rascal Maine Coon it would be classified as a Damn Big One buddy. LOL !!!

T.

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Up-Date,

Heard from Jon this morning and he has already took down the front of the engine etc.

So when the parts arrive he can do the installs.

He did find out that I don't have totally LOCKED-OUT cam phasers.

ex_q100_w240_h_site_template_images_logoNew_5_28_15.png

I have Livernois Cam Phasers that are not totally Locked-Out.

They should be at DBR Performance tomorrow with the rest of the parts.

Note,

When he (Jon) took the Cam Phaser off from the passenger-side it was {Completely-Cracked} all the way across.
And the spring had broken inside and ate everything up inside.
So as he said, you are lucky you were not under WOT (Wide-Open-Throttle) much less on a Drag-Strip Racing it.

Guess I'm pretty much living right or the Big-Guy above is watching over me.

I did not run it hard at all once I started hearing the Racket ...........
Just drove it straight to DBR and David (Owner) came right out and listened to it and we cut it off.
Three of us pushed it inside to a lift ........
Never started it again !!!

Guys here are pictures I just received from Jon at DBR Performance this afternoon.

Below is a link to Livernois and you can see pictures of the Phase Limiters when new.

https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP823110

ex_q90_w680_h_images_ePIM_original_ZZ2_LPP823110_bottom.jpg

The below pictures is the (Passenger-Side) of mine that failed.
As you can see I was really lucky that I took it straight to DBR Performance once I heard the LOUD Racket.

Terry

2008 Highland Green Bullitt Mustang, the "tiger-machine"

image.php

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hmm, so did the cracked cam phaser cause damage to the Livernois limiter or the other way around? I got the cam phaser lockouts I believe.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back