front sway bar end links

08gtbullitt151

forum member
Reaction score
I have a question. I recently lowered my 08 Bullitt with HNR springs got the MMD caster camber plates. And in the 2 weeks I’ve had them installed I’ve gone through 2 sets of sway bar end links. First set were the originals that came with the car. Second set is a set Autozone, it’s almost as if they are backing themselves out. And now it appears I have another one going out. The question is. Is this a common problem when lowering the car? If so what is the recommendation to fix this issue. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
FYI
Still have the original sway bar. If this makes a difference.

Kingcosme12

Reaction score
I believe you dont use original end links, You need to try the adjustable end links.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

BMR Tech 2

Kelly's Replacement Lackey
Reaction score
It's incredibly uncommon for end links to be damage from lowering, at least in my experience. They will come loose if people don't torque them properly and that is usually the problem in most cases. Be sure to torque them to factory spec (85 ft lbs) or they may back off and clunk.

08gtbullitt151

forum member
Reaction score
It's incredibly uncommon for end links to be damage from lowering, at least in my experience. They will come loose if people don't torque them properly and that is usually the problem in most cases. Be sure to torque them to factory spec (85 ft lbs) or they may back off and clunk.

that is exactly what is happening they begin to clunk. and yes they are being torqued to spec

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
All aftermarket end links are garbage, the OEM are bespoke aluminum, I got end links from 2011+ cars (??)

Also either new nuts or red loctite. 85 lb ft should be plenty, make sure the surfaces in contact (ie: end link flange, swaybar tab, strut body,) are all clean from grit, grease, free of flaking paint, etc.

Last edited:

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The nuts on the 05-09 cars were a single use nut as well, thread deforming or some term like that, kind of like a TTY version of a nut rather than a bolt.
I bought a set of the rod end style ones from freedom racing and no more popping and clunking.

bujeezus

forum member
Reaction score
I've changed springs twice on mine (1.5" and then 2" springs reusing original hardware) and have never had an issue. I can't really understand why yours are wearing out simply by lowering it. I've put about 15k miles on mine too. Makes me wonder if there's another issue.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Had to replace the links on the fiancée's '08 after installing the Konis, went with new OEM links and nuts, no problem since.

chair

forum member
Reaction score
i had the same problem and just switched to the nylon lock nuts and havent had a problem since. i used to have to retighten them about once a month and eventually figured the constant movement loosened the nuts.

408Stang

forum member
Reaction score
Ford's latest design has a different thread pitch which allows for proper torque to be achieved. Just buy the Ford factory updated ones and you should be fine

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Mustang dog

forum member
Reaction score
I purchased the Moog OE replacement, as they come with zero fittings the Ford do not.
The Moog has the upgraded nuts as well.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back