6R80 in my 05

forum member
Reaction score
Steve at Tasca is our friend. I'm using stock for 11-14 Mustang cooler and lines and:
AC3Z*7007*A Flywheel Plate
6L2Z*7986*AA cap

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
Steve at Tasca is our friend. I'm using stock for 11-14 Mustang cooler and lines and:
AC3Z*7007*A Flywheel Plate
6L2Z*7986*AA cap

That's the plate I used. If you google it you can see the added room around the flywheel/crank area. I liked that better although I don't see a reason why a standard mod plate wouldn't work.

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
I also did some more research on the flexplates. All of the GT500's that showed parts listed for their 6R swap used a Coyote flexplate. That's what I used too (SFI). From what I can see by researching Ford parts 01-04 had the same flexplate (1C3Z-6375-BA) which is what I have to compare to. 05-10 look to have a different part number (4C3Z-6375-BA). 09-10 F150's did have the 6R behind it. Im not sure what the difference would be unless it's just updated. I do know my 5.4 flexplate would push the converter in additional 3/16(roughly) vs the coyote 5.0 flexplate. I would definitely try to find out if this ok before you install and use the transmission.
I speak from experience just because it bolts up doesn't mean it will work. I destroyed a perfectly good trans (in less the 200 miles)because the converter depth was wrong. Power by the Hour would be the place to call as they've done more swaps than anyone.

Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I can confirm that the 4.6 3v start index plate works. Im on the fence as to use the stock 4.6 3v flexplate with 1/16" converter clearance or the PA 4.6 3v that has 3/16. These measurements are the min and max I have found on line, 1/16" min to 3/16" max. Both fit the converter though. Im leaning towards the 3/16 clearance though since I see 1/8" used by many shops as the min. Im going to remeasure after I have the Circle D unit here.

Also can confirm the 14' ds is about 4" longer then the 07'.

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
Also can confirm the 14' ds is about 4" longer then the 07'.

Thanks for the driveshaft info. I need to look thru my emails but there was a guy trying to use his factory driveshaft and change the ends to work. I need to let him know.

By the way I started to come out, but it started to rain here so I just worked on installing my new boost controller and moving the ground for the quick 6.

Thanks Mike

Litebulb

forum member
Reaction score
Glad to see this moving but seems like a pain so far for the cost! I'll keep watching but pushing towards a th400 again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
The balance of the parts for the kids car will be here tomorrow, including both controllers and Im picking up the converters at Circle D in Houston tomorrow while Im there for work.

Im still waiting for my DS to get here from Spicer, but my trans, Exedy clutches, and billet intermediate shaft are with my trans guy.

Plan to install the kids stuff this weekend.

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for the cost quotes guys! Hoping my 3650 will last till winter when I'll have downtime for the upgrade.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I can confirm that the 5r shifter, well at least the TCI shifter, wont work. The 6r shift from P to R to N is shorter, the 5r shifts it from P to N on the first click of the shifter.

Im ordering a couple Ford 6r selectshift shifters tomorrow.

Also, the 3v seperator plate will work, but does not line up exactly withe the trans, it meets everywhere the bolt meet though so Im not concerned.

The kids car is an 07' 3v factory auto 5r car, after I finish I will post the wiring details and the part numbers I used.

Last edited:

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I can confirm that the 5r shifter, well at least the TCI shifter, wont work. The 6r shift from P to R to N is shorter, the 5r shifts it from P to N on the first click of the shifter.

Im ordering a couple Ford 6r selectshift shifters tomorrow.

Also, the 3v seperator plate will work, but does not line up exactly withe the trans, it meets everywhere the bolt meet though so Im not concerned.

The kids car is an 07' 3v factory auto 5r car, after I finish I will post the wiring details and the part numbers I used.

Picked up two 13' shifters from LKQ for $100 each. Looking to button up things this weekend on the kids car.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Where did you guys make your connections for the red power wire and the gray starter relay wire?

forum member
Reaction score
Where did you guys make your connections for the red power wire and the gray starter relay wire?

Red power wire - I spliced off of the power to the ABS module at the SJB. It has power in crank and run as required by Quick 6.

Gray Starter wire - I used the wiring schematic in the Quick 6 manual and installed a relay. Be careful. There are variables here. My car is 2006 manual transmission car. The clutch pedal position switch switches the power side of the starter circuit in 2006. In 2007, it changes to ground side. The wiring is different if your car started as an auto.
It would be best to contact Karl for wiring schematics. He supplied me with what I needed.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Taking the kids car for its first test drive in the morning!

I picked my trans up from my guy that went though it and installed the Exedy clutches and the billet intermediate shaft. He said the unit looked very good inside and only required $100 worth of parts in seals, filter ect. I have the old clutches and plates here. They look almost new. I got a good unit from TKQ.

Fingers are crossed that the kids car works well tomorrow and mine can get into the garage.

We are both still waiting on our gears though as they are backordered. We will need to take it easy on first gear till they arrive.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
One down, one to go.

Only gone 1/2 throttle so far, but its shifting well. I did let the cooler line get into the belt so Im going to replace that this week before I turn him loose in it. The 11 up cooler line is not a direct fit for our cars and I had to drill a couple of holes to secure it.

https://youtu.be/5EEn1EJkDrw

https://youtu.be/7A2nZ3OpHXM

Last edited:

Timmbo

forum member
Reaction score

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I didn't see this mentioned, but does it have to be a 6r80 out of a car 5.0 mustang only, could it be out of a truck(4x4 or 4x2), could it be out of a 3.7?

JST4FN

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't see this mentioned, but does it have to be a 6r80 out of a car 5.0 mustang only, could it be out of a truck(4x4 or 4x2), could it be out of a 3.7?

No on the 3.7. However a F150 trans (5.0) will work but you will have to adapt the cable to it. It has different mounting points.
Thanks Mike

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back