Oil Pan Drop

TxS197

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a Paxton 2200 Kit I'm gonna soon be putting on my 09 GT
It's not a Self lubricated kit so I'll have to tap the pan
So I'm planning on pulling the pan
And just drilling out and welding up a fitting in it.
My question is will the Oil pan drop out with having to Drop the Stock K Member?
That's my only concern at the moment
Just need some input
Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
IIRC you can lift the engine off the K member slightly and drop the K member a little to shoe-horn the pan out without completely dis-assembling things

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I replaced my oil pan on my 07 and did it laying down with the stock K-member and it was not fun.

You do have to lift the engine off the k-member and my problem was finding an adequate place to jack it from. You do have to lift a couple inches so the oil pick up tube clears it enough to pull out the pan.

If you don't need to replace the pan I would suggest tapping it while it's still on it.

I was replacing my pan because it had a dent on it.

Here some random pics of where I tapped mine:
3693e88333789759ca6a7cebc105506b.jpg

a5244787cc1ebbe4ec533e0486215c35.jpg

TxS197

Reaction score
I replaced my oil pan on my 07 and did it laying down with the stock K-member and it was not fun.

You do have to lift the engine off the k-member and my problem was finding an adequate place to jack it from. You do have to lift a couple inches so the oil pick up tube clears it enough to pull out the pan.

If you don't need to replace the pan I would suggest tapping it while it's still on it.

I was replacing my pan because it had a dent on it.

Here some random pics of where I tapped mine:
3693e88333789759ca6a7cebc105506b.jpg

a5244787cc1ebbe4ec533e0486215c35.jpg
I'll have access to a lift so it'll make things easier
But where were y'all able to lift the engine from
Which points?

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Some say to jack it from the crank pulley which I didn't feel comfortable with. They also mentioned that once you undo the pan bolts you and push the pan back and lift it from the exposed block which is not true either, the pan doesn't move back enough.

I ended up putting some blocks of wood and slowly jacked it from where the block meets the bell housing.

If you are doing with a lift I'm sure it's easier and have more access to things.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
any chance the place with lift has one of these?

image_11976.jpg

use that with straps around the headers or motor mounts to lift the block up, then lower the K a little

QuickShift281

forum member
Reaction score
any chance the place with lift has one of these?

image_11976.jpg

use that with straps around the headers or motor mounts to lift the block up, then lower the K a little

Hang the engine in the bay with a engine bar. Harbor Freight should have them. Run a could chains down and pull the two bottom front cover bolts and bolt the chain in those locations.

By doing so you can just drop the K out and have enough room to pull the pan comfortably.

RED09GT

Equal Opportunity Offender
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It took a combination of taking the nuts off the motor mounts and loosening the k member bolts but it did come out.
I initally punched it and tapped it for my oil drain for my turbo but there really isn't a lot of meat to tap for the fitting. Mine ended up cracking and dripping-at the track of all places. Pulled the pan and had the fitting welded.

TxS197

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply
Thanks for the info guys gonna actually tackle this soon.
I've been putting this project off for a while
Any other tips or tricks would be helpful
Thanks again

TheKurgan

forum member
Reaction score
I put liquid thread sealant around my threads and let it dry completely also. I haven't had any leaks, but that drain hose they supply with the kit is shit imo. It seems to get saturated with oil somehow and the ends fray. I would find a better quality hose.

Macman45

Resident Geriatric
Reaction score
Make sure you have a new oil pan gasket. It's a complicated pre-molded gasket with metal. I have a new one from my build leftover if you need one, PM me.

Otherwise like others said to lift the engine up a bit, it will slide out

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back