Bearings, bushings, seals, joints, etc.

Yoyo1

stangester
Reaction score
Hello. I've been slowly modifying my 2008 Mustang GT now with 121K miles. Goal is to get her track ready and also keep her going forever....lol. Just got some more mad money so doing next series of mods. One area I have had suggestions in previous threads included changing bearings, bushings, seals, etc....anything that keeps the car's moving parts functioning smoothly with no odd clank, joint or rubbing noises, leakage, etc. I am kind of a novice at all this.

Can someone provide a "laundry list" of such bearings, joints, bushings, etc, . . . I am not even sure that includes everything . . . I should look into changing? I know this sounds kind of vague. Not talking about oils, fluids, or regular maintenance stuff.

So far changed:
outer tie rod
Upgraded to Bilstein struts and shocks, front and rear
Ford Lowering P springs
SR Panhard bar
New, 20 inch wheels-bullit (will get new tires soon)
Pypes bomb axle-backs
Ford Racing bounce bump stops-rear
Some other little things

I gotta run now but I will check back shortly.

Thanks for any suggestions or recommendations.

forum member
Reaction score
Common suspension & drivetrain wear items:
Front & rear lower control arm bushings
Front & rear swaybar endlinks
Front & rear swaybar bushings
Rear upper control arm bushings (chassis side and diff housing side)
Pinion bearings & seal
Ball joints
Wheel bearings

Common engine wear items:
Timing chain guides/tensioners
Valve lash adjusters
Main seals
Alternator

If I missed something I'm sure someone else will add.
If you haven't replaced your ball joints and inner tie rods yet, they'll probably be worn out soon, if they aren't already. Same goes for control arm bushings. I wouldn't change everything on this list unless something is actually broken/worn out. A new part can be defective out of the box and you aren't necessarily increasing your odds by swapping parts.

Yoyo1

stangester
Reaction score
Oh hey thx. What you listed was just what I was looking for. I probably should have changed the inner tie rod too when i did the outer.

Yoyo1

stangester
Reaction score
Track ready: CA racetrack courses such as Autoclub raceway, Willowsprings, Chuckawalla raceway, etc. As in weekend warrior stuff. I tried autocross and really didn't get the thrill I was looking for.

Really, the seals, bearings, bushings thing wasn't so much of looking for a performance enhancers but just for keeping the car running smoothly.

Enhancers will be handled by way of modifications.

Any input would be great. Thanks guys.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back