Hurst

patriotu

forum member
Reaction score
Hello, i want to replace stock shifter on my 08 gt with Hurst billet comptetition plus shifter. Any thoughts ? I ve read some reviews and are a few complains like rattle and became sloopy in time. And also problem with finding reverse. It s possible that a company like hurst to offer a shifter with such issues ?
If anybody has it please share opinions !!
Thank you.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
The tech section is for tech discussions, not opinions on which part to buy. As with your last thread, this goes in Mustang Chit Chat.

As for the shifter, MGW.
/thread

ChuckyRick

Reaction score
I have the exact one, Major improvement over stock. No rattles and no slop after many miles. Yes the reverse lockout issue is present occasionally. Not a huge deal, just wiggle it in neutral or put it into 1st/2nd and it should go back into reverse. Hurst ships it with 2 rubber insulators that optionally mount between the shifter and stick. I drove it for months without any in place, It was great, but very notchy. I added one of the two insulators in place to try one day and it's been like that ever since. No complaints with mine, Love it.

That being said, If a situation ever presented itself where i had to buy another shifter. I would definitely try an MGW. Too many people talk so highly about them to consider anything else

grywll42

forum member
Reaction score
Have hurst comp plus also, better than stock, notchy after 4k miles, has the reverse problem sometimes, kinda wish I spent a little more and got a mgw

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't really recommend it, I got the billet plus, it was really sloppy after less than 30K miles. I think part of this was due to the fact that the dust boot on the bottom fell apart after it had been on the car for 2 years, and as far as I can tell you can't get replacement parts. Might as well spend a little more and get one of the better quality shifters.

Mustang dog

forum member
Reaction score
If you want a hurst, I'll sell you mine, I'm switching it out in the next few weeks. I'm not sure which model it is (yet). As it was installed when I bought the car last year. The shifter is a maximum of two years old.

forum member
Reaction score
Mine was on for 35k miles and there haven't been any issues. It felt very notchy at first but I've gotten used to it.

joe_momma

forum member
Reaction score
It's definitely notchy if you just ease through the gears, but not so much if you're banging it. It is fine for what it is, but were I to make another purchase, I would spend the extra and get the MGW, no question.

patriotu

forum member
Reaction score
If you want a hurst, I'll sell you mine, I'm switching it out in the next few weeks. I'm not sure which model it is (yet). As it was installed when I bought the car last year. The shifter is a maximum of two years old.
After reading these i think i ll pass it ! and spent more for abetter one !
thanks !

Kuplex

Software Developer
Reaction score
I had one and it felt much better than stock. However, it rattled in 3rd gear, handle came loose a few times (ended up using blue loctite), and would sometimes still lockout when trying high rpm shifts. Looked great though.
I swapped to a MGW a couple yeas ago and will never look back. Significantly higher quality, amazing service (George is awesome), adjustable, quiet, and silky smooth.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No experience with the hurst. Did have a pro 5.0 which I liked for an entry level shifter. And cant go wrong with MGW as far as product and company goes.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back