there's still a 3v aftermarket? (new intake manifold)

Postman

forum member
Reaction score
There I have deleted my sig altogether. Maybe that will help you focus on the topic....

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

Is the juice worth the squeeze? I'm not sure at this point.

I had to grind a little on the back of the TB to get it to mount flush against the intake. Hooking up the vac lines and the fuel lines were pretty easy.

The car started right up but there is a god forsaken noise coming from the plenum. The large flat surface area on the top of the intake vibrates making a hollow / tinny noise. Rest your hand on it at it goes away instantly. Remove your hand and it's back.

It must flow a little more air as it thru off my SHFT trims by about 10%. It ildes good and after about 50 miles I can say it drives fine however the noise is killing me. My car is a true sleeper. No heads or loud exhaust and the twin turbos muffle the fact there are no cats on the car. I can hear the noise while at cruz or at idle and it bugs the hell out of me.

The solution would be to weld a 1/4" thick x 1" wide aluminum rib down the middle of the intake to braces the big piece of thin sheet metal then have the intake powered coated again.

At this point even if it made an extra 50hp I'm just not sure the juice would be worth the squeeze.

Short terms off by 10%, that's significant. Did you change the intake manifold volume in the tune and if so by how much from stock? IIRC stock is around 9.3 liters and the FRPP 3v is about 12. The Holley looks like it would quite a bit less but looks can be deceptive. If it is less then the computer would be behind the curve when supplying fuel via the maf xfer table in closed loop.

Did you get a chance to try it in open loop and if so did the maf xfer table need to be changed to get commanded lambda to equal actual?

By any chance did you do a volume test with water capacities?

Postman

forum member
Reaction score
I've done nothing at this point but cruz over to Khalls house and take him for short spin to show him the FB 4R70W. We never got after it. I was just trying to burn off the E85 so I can put 93 back in it and finish storing it for the winter.

The intent of my posting in this tread was just to show folks what it would take to bolt it on. Nothing more nothing less. I hope this info helps those that are thinking about installing it.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I've done nothing at this point but cruz over to Khalls house and take him for short spin to show him the FB 4R70W. We never got after it. I was just trying to burn off the E85 so I can put 93 back in it and finish storing it for the winter.

The intent of my posting in this tread was just to show folks what it would take to bolt it on. Nothing more nothing less. I hope this info helps those that are thinking about installing it.

Let's say the manifold volume with the Holley was less than stock. This would mean that the computer would anticipate air later than what was actually happening, resulting in the injectors spraying later than they should. This in turn would require the ecu to compensate short terms with more fuel to counteract the unanticipated extra air (i.e. it would be lean for a little while in closed loop).

If it was indeed because of a smaller volume intake manifold it would go away at wot soon after wot began.

The parameter is manifold volume. It's listed in liters. It's only purpose is a time delay for fuel injectors. If the correct volume is put into the tune then the fuel injectors spray at the right time resulting in the o2 sensors not having to trim excessively.

It's either that or you have unmetered air.

Really, just trying to help. I'd like to see if there is a gain with this manifold just as much as you would.

swflastang05

Back for More
Reaction score
I was told at the recent NMRA race that Holley will soon be releasing a bolt together version of this intake that will be much stronger than the current version so you can run big boost with it. The version out now was supposedly never intended for boost, only NA which is why several people have split them open while under boost. Bart Tobner has one of the new bolt together prototypes on his car now.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I was told at the recent NMRA race that Holley will soon be releasing a bolt together version of this intake that will be much stronger than the current version so you can run big boost with it. The version out now was supposedly never intended for boost, only NA which is why several people have split them open while under boost. Bart Tobner has one of the new bolt together prototypes on his car now.

First the fitment issues then this? These people are going to make me cry.

So they expect a high enough percentage of 3v owners, enough people worth spending the R&D money on, to be running cable throttle, completely aftermarket fuel system, aftermarket cooling between the heads, willing to spend 1g on an intake mani, and a cowl hood to also be N/A.

Did they read up on the part where the FRPP mani was about enough for a N/A 322ci build, cost less, and fit like it was designed to go there?

Can I please get a tally of how many people in here are N/A and would drop 1k to put a sheet metal intake manifold on a 3v.

5.4 3v guys don't count sheetmetal intake is your only option.

Hotcrawl

Reaction score
Finally getting some time to work on it

Here's a couple pics. 82mm with th400 and billet everything and Holley efi

Attachments

• IMG_2484.jpg
    IMG_2484.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2478.jpg
    IMG_2478.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 32

Hotcrawl

Reaction score
It's all custom. We do most of our fab work in house. We're outta Minneapolis.

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
Does this sit lower or taller than the stock manifold?

Want to know if I keep my shaker scoop with it.

46addict

Reaction score
Let's say the manifold volume with the Holley was less than stock. This would mean that the computer would anticipate air later than what was actually happening, resulting in the injectors spraying later than they should. This in turn would require the ecu to compensate short terms with more fuel to counteract the unanticipated extra air (i.e. it would be lean for a little while in closed loop).
So a manifold volume lower than stock volume would cause a lean condition if it is not accounted for in the tune. Is this because less volume translates to more flow?

Last edited:

o2sys

forum member
Reaction score
I've recently contacted them and they've told me they sorted all the fitment issues in regards to clearing the water crossover on the 07+ and alternator clearance. Still said I needed to run a TB spacer to clear the stock throttle body.

ghunt81

New parts on old junk!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I can't really see where you get any advantage with this manifold over the FRPP, except that it looks a little cooler.

NUTCASE

forum member
Reaction score
I can't really see where you get any advantage with this manifold over the FRPP, except that it looks a little cooler.

It gives you the opportunity to tinker and change things around a whole lot.

Holley claims they did their homework but they really really didn't. They obviously have no clue what we do with these motors.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back