New clutch cant get into gear

Lawlessjay

forum member
Reaction score
I just put in a clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder, and stainless line and even new trans fluid. I pumped the damn thing hundreds of times and even used a handheld vacuum on the reservoir. It wont disengage for 1st or 2nd and no chance of going in reverse. It shifts smooth with the car off but you can feel the jump when you pull it out of gear. Is there a better way to bleed the air out? I have been researching for a while and only see the hand held vacuum being used.

travelers

Reaction score
Does the peddle feel like it still has air in the system? Does it feel like it did before you changed the clutch? Is it possible that you have the disk in backwards? If so it won't let you put it in gear with the car running because the protruding side with the springs will be up against the flywheel all the time and won't release.

When my was changed it took a lot of pumps even after it was bleed.

Lawlessjay

forum member
Reaction score
The clutch feels good and doesnt feel spongy anymore. It will sometimes go in 1st if i put it in 3rd then go to 1st while its sitting. If the disc was backwards I would think it wouldnt work at all but not sure.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
When you try to put it into 1st while running will the car move forward slightly?

Lawlessjay

forum member
Reaction score
It moves the wheels on the lift but doesnt really move forward. Its disengaging just not enough. Some say it will work any air out but I dont want to mess the trans up. And it doesnt grind going in either so its disengaging enough I guess.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
did you make sure to have driver front wheel lifted up higher than rest of the car? best way to have it while bleeding

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Like others said its air in the system or it could be the wrong slave, defective slave etc. Its a hydraulic issue for sure.

Lawlessjay

forum member
Reaction score
I hope its not the wrong slave. Im gonna keep trying to bleed it and I'll try the wheels up when I do it. Thanks again everyone I'll post when its better or sold lol.

Totheboards

Reaction score
What type of trans oil? Reason I ask is I used amsoil synthetic ATF in my 3650 and now when its cold (60 deg F or colder), it's tough to get into 1st while idling and stopped until the trans warms up. Similar to you, I have to stop the countershaft with 3rd gear, then switch to 1st. Seems like the amsoil provides less friction than motorcraft ATF.

Lawlessjay

forum member
Reaction score
I used Royal Purple. I am taking the trans back out tomorrow. I didnt bench bleed the slave cylinder when I installed it. I didnt think I needed to. So hopefully this will solve my problems

Lawlessjay

forum member
Reaction score
UPDATE- I pulled the trans and took the slave out. I bled the slave which had alot of air in it. I then put vacuum with a hand pump on the reservoir. It is alot better but still locks me out sometimes and is alittle notchy. Im gonna keep pumping and trying to bleed it more. Not sure what else I can do.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Something I forgot is that when bleeding you have to take long, slow strokes of the clutch pedal to get all the air out. And what slave cylinder did you use?

Lawlessjay

forum member
Reaction score
I used a factory ford slave. I asked around and people had the best luck with fords.

AndrewG27

forum member
Reaction score
I would love to know if you figure this out. I changed my clutch 2 years ago and have this exact same problem.

I've taken the transmission out 3 times, changed slaves twice, took the clutch/flywheel out and reinstalled, bled the system repeatedly and even got a in-line bleeder valve to try and help, absolutely nothing has worked.

If I hold the clutch in for about 5-10 seconds when cold before I try to put it in 1st or reverse it slides in pretty easy. Otherwise it completely locks me out until it warms up. Even when it is warm it will sometimes do it randomly at a stoplight or whatever.

So please keep us updated on what you find

Edit: when attempting to put it into 1st or reverse the car does move slightly if on a flat surface

Last edited:

travelers

Reaction score
I would love to know if you figure this out. I changed my clutch 2 years ago and have this exact same problem.

I've taken the transmission out 3 times, changed slaves twice, took the clutch/flywheel out and reinstalled, bled the system repeatedly and even got a in-line bleeder valve to try and help, absolutely nothing has worked.

If I hold the clutch in for about 5-10 seconds when cold before I try to put it in 1st or reverse it slides in pretty easy. Otherwise it completely locks me out until it warms up. Even when it is warm it will sometimes do it randomly at a stoplight or whatever.

So please keep us updated on what you find

Edit: when attempting to put it into 1st or reverse the car does move slightly if on a flat surface

Did it do that before you changed the clutch? How many miles on the car? And have you changed the Master cylinder? The master cylinder might be bypassing a little fluid. Did you measure for the new slave cylinder?

Just thinking out loud on here. Lol...

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Ive read a few threads about the cup seals in the master cylinder letting fluid by. I dont know if Id say its common but it does seem to happen to these cars, moreso now that they are getting older.

As far as the car moving slightly when putting it in gear like I said before that means there is a hydraulic problem, aka the slave cylinder/clutch.

AndrewG27

forum member
Reaction score
Did it do that before you changed the clutch? How many miles on the car? And have you changed the Master cylinder? The master cylinder might be bypassing a little fluid. Did you measure for the new slave cylinder?

Just thinking out loud on here. Lol...

Car has almost 80k miles on it so it is getting older but it didn't do anything like this before I changed the clutch which was at about 60k.

I haven't touched the master cylinder, I thought about It, but didn't have a problem with it and since this started happening the moment I changed the clutch and flywheel I don't think that it's a problem. I guess I could try changing it, I don't really know what else to do.

And no I didn't measure for the slave, excuse my ignorance but what exactly would I measure? Lol

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back