Add Paddle Shifters to 13/14 automatics

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Your link to the 2011-12 select shift didn't work.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

jim010

Reaction score
Here it is again:

http://themustangsource.com/forums/f800/retrofit-sport-shift-10-12-autos-536398/

I'll just repost What I did here for you. It was not difficult.

It is NOT a matter of simply installing the shifter from a 13/14 into an 11/12 to get Select Shift. This isn't plug and play.

To start with, I had retrofitted the 13/14 LCD Track Apps cluster into my car. You can read about how to get this cluster into our cars in this thread:

http://themustangsource.com/forums/f803/retrofitting-4-2-lcd-track-apps-cluster-529167/

For 13/14 cars, Putting in Track Apps is no biggy, but when putting the new cluster into an 11/12 car, cruise won't work right, the digital guages don't work, and Track Apps doesn't work. To get it to work right requires reprogramming the PCM to that of a 13/14 car. I had to find a VIN of a 13/14 car that was similar to mine and used that VIN to program my PCM. You need a VCM II and IDS to do this.

Once this was done, all functions of the cluster worked (track apps needed a 13/14 abs module, though). To my surprise, Select Shift now worked as well.

You can read below the part from the thread that deals with installing the Sport Shift. I love it, by the way. Using it really changes the personality of the car. But the button just wasn't quite right, and then I stumbled onto the Mercedes paddle shifters.

Now you do not need the 13/14 shifter for Select Shift if you are going to put in the paddles. I removed mine and put the old 10-12 shifter back in.

For Automatic Owners of 2011 and 2012

For 2011/12 automatic owners, if you program the PCM to a 2013/14, then you will also need to upgrade to the Select Sport Shift automatic shifter. This is NOT plug and play, but is a real pain. Using the Black Box from Redlinersperformance.com is a better option here for automatic owners. If you go with the black box, then you do not need to mess with the auto shifter at all.

But if the PCM is programmed, on the old shifter, when you manually put the car into 1, 2 or 3, the cluster will show an error (a wrench symbol) that will need to be cleared using a diagnostic tool every time it comes up. It will shift normally, but the PCM is getting confused as it expects Select Sport Shift.

To correct this, get the Select Sport Shift automatic shifter box. You really only need the shifter **** with the button, but the old shifter bezel will still have the 1 2 3 on there, which is no longer used and will make the error message come up if you do shift into them. The new box will only show S only and not allow the shifter to move past the S. I also had to make a block and screw it into place to prevent selection of those gears manually using the shifter.

Also, hill assist is no longer functional - but you could just add it as an extra and put the button for it somewhere, like I did. It is redundant with the select shift anyways.

The wires from the **** will need to go all the way to the PCM at the front of the car. Thanks to Lex for getting the the info on how to route wires from the cabin to the PCM. It wasn`t too bad. The passenger side wheel and inner plastic wheel cover has to come out. Behind it you will see wires running from the passenger cabin all the way to the PCM at the front of the car. The wires going from the shifter have to go all the way to the PCM. You will have to push those 3 wires through the grommet in the firewall to get them through to the inner fender. A bit of a pain to do this, but this is the only PITA part.

Next I needed the connectors for C307 both male and female. These are on the shifter box and replace the ones that are there now. The current wires going into those connectors use larger pins, so I had to change them all out to smaller pins. Make sure you keep track of what you plug into the male and female connectors so that they match!!

The 3 wires from the shift **** are for select shift.

The white wire from the **** is for shift up and will go to pin 23 on connector C175B on the PCM.
The brown one is for shift down and goes to pin 24 on the PCM C175B.
The black wire is signal return and goes to pin 56 on the PCM C175B.

Once the wiring was routed to the PCM, I had to add pins to slots 23 and 24 in C175B as those slots are empty (The bottom of the 3 connectors in the PCM. Unplug them all to get access). The third wire I tapped into the wire going to pin 56.

You will now have functioning Select Sport Shift.

Last edited:

jim010

Reaction score
To be honest, though, I wonder if the functionality was always there to begin with. If so, then it is simply a matter of connecting the wires as posted above with no reflashing involved.

At some point I may reprogram my PCM back to 2012 and see if that is indeed the case.

Willmkent

Reaction score
just to clarify, is the transmitter and receiver wireless?

also, with this setup, how is the shift time, does it seem very responsive?

jim010

Reaction score
It is wireless, but it still takes power from the car, so no batteries. There is only 1 slot left in the clockspring connector, so we can't wire the up and down signal wires directly from the paddles.

I have not found any difference in response time from using the button on the shifter versus the paddles.

Willmkent

Reaction score
right on, thanks man. This sounds good. I think I will have to get myself setup with some paddle shifters for sure. Im sure it makes a difference in the way of how the car feels. Rather than pushing a button, keeping your hands on the steering wheel and using paddles seems pretty legit.

nmtaylor5.0

Reaction score
Ok, I just want to double check and make sure I'm reading this correctly before I get too excited and start buying stuff.

Now, mine is a 2011. Things I'll need..
Shifters
Hardware
Module
And cluster with LCD Track Apps and program the cluster to the PCM of a 13/14 car.

So, I do not need the Sport Shift Select shifter and I can continue to use the current one, correct?

I feel like I'm missing something. I used to own a GTI with the DSG paddles on the steering wheel and just clicking the paddles alone would put the car in sport mode without shifting the car into (S). So, I'm assuming this will happen as well.

jim010

Reaction score
To get the car to go into sprot mode you need to physically put the shifter into 'S'.

With a 2011, you are looking at quite a bit more to do. You may want to be 100% sure you want to do this as there are quite a few thing you need to do and it will be costly. This is more for 13/14 owners.

11/12 you need:

-Mercedes paddles.
-transmitter module.
-shifter from 13/14 car. You don't really need this, but selecting 1, 2 or 3 will throw an error code that will need to be cleared using a VCM II. The new shifter box will block the shifter from those being selected. Or you can make a block to prevent this.
-Thicker guage wire - 3 colours
-VCM II and IDS
-optional - 13/14 ABS module (buy new as used tend to be messed up) and a 13/14 LCD track apps cluster along with the switches on the steering wheel.

You need a VCM II.The first thing is that your PCM needs to be flashed into a 2013 car. To do this, you will need to find the VIN of a 13/14 car that is similar to yours. You will need that VIN to program. If you are not comfortable messing with your PCM, then don't do this.

Last edited:

jim010

Reaction score
Now I have to tried to see if any programming of the PCM is needed to get paddles to work, but I suspect that it does. Maybe try wiring it up and see?

If not, then you need to flash the PCM to a 13/14 car as stated above. You will have to do PATS to get your keys to work. I had the dealer do that for me, but you can do this using the VCM II - although I haven't done it.

If you do flash the PCM, you will find that if you opted to use the LCD Track Apps cluster, it will now work with the exception of the Tack Apps. You will also see that cruise control does not work right. You will need to replace the steering wheel switches and that will be solved. If Track Apps is important, then you need that 13/14 ABS module. Just replace the old one with this one. Now you need to program the ABS module as well using the VCM II and IDS. Now everything works on the new cluster.

All that is left is wiring up the Select Shift as I had done in post 22, but the wires will go straight to the steering wheel as in the beginning of this thread.

Again, beware that this is way more involved and expensive. Mind you, I did it and now I have a 12 with all the tech of a 13/14 car and I love it.

Make sure you read those threads on the Mustang Source carefully to know what is involved.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
I remember when I wired up the gt500 steering wheel in my 06 car, there is a location in the center of the clock spring that I used to wire the audio buttons to. IIRC that connector gives 6 or so connections. Couldn't that be used to transmit the paddle wires directly through the clock spring and then out the other side. No Wireless transmitter needed sort of thing? It has been 4 years since I installed that steering wheel, so I'm trying to remember.

Djack69

Reaction score
Man I have a 14 and would love to do this but I am am not tech conscious.

Back