6R80 Lock-up with a centri

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
Hello all, just curious how others have their converter locking a wot. At the track my car will sometimes lock-up towards the top of 2nd, and stay locked up through the up-shift into third. Of course the locking up feels great at the top of second, but when it stays locked up into third It sounds / feels like the car falls out of the power with the rather large rpm drop.

Sometimes if feels / sounds like the car doesn't lock-up at all. I haven't put 2 and 2 together for sure yet but my car usually traps either 94-95mph, or 97-98mph, and I'm pretty sure it is determined by weather or not the converter is locking or not. When I really need to hear / feel what's going on with my car, I'm usually up against some schmuck with a huge cam and open headers in the other lane, and I can't hear a damn thing that going on with my car, lol.

Instead of the converter locking at the top of second an staying locked into and through 3rd, can it lock up at the top of second, and simultaneously unlock and shift into third at the same time to keep the rpm's as high as possible? I pretty much only run in the eighth, but regardless the rpm's, and therefore the power falls off pretty bad with my centrifugal car even though it is wastegated.

I could spin the blower faster and keep the same wastegate springs and the power would just show up earlier in the rpm band, but I think it would make my launches even harder to control wheel spin though and not net me any gains because of it.

NoviBlownGT

Boosted Crew
Reaction score
Why even lock it in 2nd? I'm running a 4r70 with a cenri. I don't lock converter until midway through 3rd. I know our gearing is different. I want max Rpms to keep boost up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
With my 6r80 in the car now, I lock 4th thru 6th, but Im not worried about street mileage. I have not tested at the track yet though.

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I think it might work great to just keep i unlocked until deep into third gear myself. If it was a twin screw or tvs car I think locking earlier would be a good thing, but not on a centri car with a huge ratio jump from 2nd to 3rd in these 6R80's. I might try an experiment with my tuning. I'm thinking about using 2.73's in the future, and will have to lock up in 2nd if I end up doing that, but if I have to get into 3rd, i think lock-up is detrimental in my case

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back