Automatic Transmission Filter

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
When changing the filter in the 5R55S transmission, I noticed when searching for replacement filters, you can opt for one that is externally mounted. I found a Motorcraft filter that mounts up on the line from the transmission to the cooler. This would seem like an ideal replacement to have, because replacing the filter requires the removal of the transmission pan. If your putting on a deep pan replacement, then it's fine to remove the pan once, but after that, it seems like a task to avoid ip possible.

So enter the externally mounted filter. Now installing it all seem pretty strait forward, so when I decide to take this on, it will not pose a problem. The difficulty I'm thinking I'm going to have is whether or not you still need the traditional filter in the pan. Logic would dictate that if you have an external filter then you don't need the one in the pan anymore. However, is the one in the pan a part of the transmissions operation, and is still needed in order for the fluid to properly circulate through the transmission? If anyone has any insight on this, it would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• mof-ft185.jpg
    mof-ft185.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 29

Benwhite911

V6'ing & Dealing With It
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Good information, thanks for letting me know. Is there a benefit to having the external filter other than just more filtering?

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back