P0607 & p0480

Saleen4971

forum member
Reaction score
of course, these codes pop up after ive worked almost 2 weeks straight......

heading home from work, sudden engine buck (zero power, then came back fine) - at the same time, battery light flashed VERY quickly, CEL came on (with P0607 and P0480), temp gauge pegged hot (returned to normal a few seconds later), security light lit up, and "check gas cap" on odo.

happened again and again on my way home (5 mile drive, cant count how many times it happened......)

when driving, it feels like you hit something. at idle (stopped at a light, etc) it nearly (and one time did) stalls.

i have had an odd belt noise during decel lately (last 2 weeks or so) so i am leaning towards a bum alternator/pulley, especially after reading a bit on "odd codes and combos" as well as the purpose of the clutched alternator pulley we have.

tune has been loaded without change for years, new interstate battery installed this past winter, 65k miles.

any other common issues i should look for? ill be swinging by work in the morning to run a test on the batt and alt, although its not a true load test sadly.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Yup. Those are classic signs of an alternator going south.
The best cure is a new OEM alternator from a 2010 model.

Saleen4971

forum member
Reaction score
What's better about the 2010?

Replaced it today at work. Along with my fuel pump.

649d050ed5c5f5f61807854222476d46.jpg

Bueno.

Last edited:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
The denso brand alternator used in the 2010 cars is a 3 phase type alternator....which is way more eff than the single phase alternator's used in the 05-10 cars. I'm surprised Ford even used single phase alternators. Nobody else uses em..they went the way the way of the do-do bird a long time ago. The 2010 unit will drop right in.

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
The denso brand alternator used in the 2010 cars is a 3 phase type alternator....which is way more eff than the single phase alternator's used in the 05-10 cars.

The biggest problem with the 05-09 alternators is their tendency to burn diodes, especially if you have an ICE system that draws a lot of current.

Saleen4971

forum member
Reaction score
ICE??

wish i had seen the 2010 upgrade sooner :/

oh well. this ones lasted since 06, i guess $160 every 9 years isnt SO bad......

Saleen4971

forum member
Reaction score
Seems to be back again.

Year old battery, new alternator, cleaned a few grounds in the engine bay, added an extra just because, new belt.

When I turn the a/c on, I get the bucking/power loss along with security light and check fuel cap message.

Starting to get annoying.........anybody run into something like this before?

Saleen4971

forum member
Reaction score
Another update, issue only pops up under certain conditions...

Ac clutch disengages, then a few seconds later the fan shuts off. As soon as power to the fan is cut, the engine bogs, codes come up, etc.

If the compressor is still running when the fan cuts off, no problems.

Edit to add video, with pcm vpwr datastream, dvom on battery
https://youtu.be/Au87vxwBN_M

Last edited:

Saleen4971

forum member
Reaction score
lol 2 years later time for an update i guess?

reman alt did nothing. scored a used take off 2010 unit from ebay for 60 bucks, saw an immediate jump in charging voltage - 14.4 now vs 13.3-13.6 before. also did a couple upgraded grounds, and power wire to underhood junciton box a while ago which seemed to do....not much.

racetronix relay harness for e-fan solved the P0480 code - contacts werent as bad as some that i have seen, but low speed wasnt working. relay harness installed and high and low work fine. upgraded to 2013 fan later just because.

P0607 memory code, and PCM rebooting was solved today by replacing the PCM, which i found on ebay as well. paying almost a grand for a new one wasnt in the cards, so this one cost me $140 and it was well spent. return to stock, swap computers, relearn PATS keys, retune and my ride home was smooth, uneventful and freezing cold.

all is well now.

46addict

Reaction score
Do you have any more details/pics on the fan relay harness? And did you have to get a specific PCM for the car (with similar option packages as your car) or will any PCM from an 05-09 work?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back