Exhaust pipe hitting upper panhard bar support brace?

stixx2002

forum member
Reaction score
Hi guys - anyone else have this issue?

Over bumps my exhaust piping is hitting the top of my panhard support brace. You can definitely hear it going over bumps. I probably have about 3/4" between the exhaust pipe and the bar. I am wondering if the Borla cat-back kit I bought simply has a "defective" pipe that wasn't tooled/bent correctly.

Let me know if anyone else has had a similar issue.

JUSTA3V

Moar Throttle!
Reaction score
very common after installing mufflers. Need to get under there and reposition the over axle pipes so they clear...I always have to adjust mine after a few months. leaving hard on slicks over time...things shift.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Yep, loosen up the clamps and twist the pipe around till you get the proper clearance and then tighten her back down.

Jon_Purdy

forum member
Reaction score
Sorry to dig up an old thread but the same thing has happened to me. How much of a gap between the brace and the exhaust is needed?

CJ-

forum member
Reaction score
I ended up leaving enough space for my fingers to fit between the brace and overaxle pipe to eliminate the contact.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
I used to have the issue a lot, too, on different setups. I used to use a 1-by board (3/4" thick), places between the pipe and panhard bar, before tightening the midpipe and muffler clamps. Of course get the pipes into proper orientation and position relative to the bumper cover, then tighten the clamps, then remove the board.
I also put a piece of hose around the panhard bar on one side where it was always hitting, so that it would hit the hose instead of the bar. But repositioning the piping is a better solution.

bmeaggie

Reaction score
This is why I like this forum and enjoy owning an S197... just about every problem has been investigated and solved... exact same problem, exact same solution... here in 2021!

06 T-RED S/C GT

forum member
Reaction score
I used to have the issue a lot, too, on different setups. I used to use a 1-by board (3/4" thick), places between the pipe and panhard bar, before tightening the midpipe and muffler clamps. Of course get the pipes into proper orientation and position relative to the bumper cover, then tighten the clamps, then remove the board.
I also put a piece of hose around the panhard bar on one side where it was always hitting, so that it would hit the hose instead of the bar. But repositioning the piping is a better solution.
I tried that, as soon the board was removed the pipes would move back off center again!

FredB66

Reaction score
I had the same problem after installing Pypes catted h-pipes (don't ever buy those btw). They hang a little lower than what was there. Loosening everything up and repositioning helped but the final piece was my muffler hangers. I got the stainless hangers from AM and they suck. The rubber spiders are wimpy and allowed the pipes to droop about 1/2". Dorman sells a much sturdier hanger that provided that little bit of extra clearance.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back